PDA

View Full Version : Hindle exhaust and gas smell

Pilo
07-20-2009, 10:02 PM
My brand new SE5 has a Hindle exhaust installed by the dealer.

A few days after I bought it I had to relocate abroad, and had it shipped.

No BRP dealership in this country, so I am on my own.

I am now riding it for the first few miles in traffic, but have not yet been able to open it up on the road. May be the next week-end.

While riding it I can hear it backfire from time to time, and after it is warmed up, I can smell gasoline every time I come to a standstill, especially after riding it hard.

I am wondering if I have to perform the resetting procedure to accommodate the engine tunning to the new exhaust.

I have read in some forum something related to disconnecting the battery leads for at least one hour, and then reconnect them and start the Spyder and let it idle for 15 minutes, and then let it cool down for another 15 minutes.

Then ride it hard to test the results.

Any help / suggestions will be appreciated.

Bersquack
07-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Well, I'm no expert, but the last few times I read about gas smell the problem came from the evap canister not the exhaust. You can try resetting the exhaust, but I'm not sure that will solve your problem.

Good luck!

bjt
07-21-2009, 07:01 AM
If you wanted to try disconnecting the battery for a while to see if it helps with your problem, it certainly won't hurt anything.

bone crusher
07-21-2009, 09:31 AM

I am now riding it for the first few miles in traffic, but have not yet been able to open it up on the road. May be the next week-end.

While riding it I can hear it backfire from time to time, and after it is warmed up, I can smell gasoline every time I come to a standstill, especially after riding it hard.

I am wondering if I have to perform the resetting procedure to accommodate the engine tunning to the new exhaust.

I have read in some forum something related to disconnecting the battery leads for at least one hour, and then reconnect them and start the Spyder and let it idle for 15 minutes, and then let it cool down for another 15 minutes.

The pipe should've been configured when installed...that means disconnecting the battery, doing the install, and running for 15 minutes following...

If this wasn't done, then you might want to disconnect the battery, reconnect, and run for 15 minutes at standstill...can't hurt to do this and it might help...

Venezuela, eh?

mjw930
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Something stupid to try, make sure the gas cap is not cross threaded and is sealing properly. It sounds stupid but with the "clicker" caps it's real easy to think it's on straight only to find it's not sealing and you get a gas smell.

Don't ask me how I know :opps:

jwhatman
09-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Once again, I had to point it out to him after spending a good portion of the day in a haze of gas fumes. At our last stop I decided to check to see if maybe the cap was on correctly, nope. Accidentally cross-threaded so it didn't seal. Oh well. Live and learn. Now I double check it before we set out. Not that I don't trust him, but things happen.
Thanks for filling the bike up sweetie.

Latemarch
09-16-2009, 09:19 AM
This is a problem we have been seeing at the shop and BRP has let us know there is a computer issue that is in the process of being addressed. Brp is preparing an update(when we will see it I am not sure) that should address the running rich, backfire, flat spot in the torq curve etc..

Hmmmm......I had a great running Spyder before the update and inspite of others here on the forum, I did the update and still have a great running Spyder.
Should I tempt fate and let them update it again:yikes:

Latemarch
09-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Latemarch, you should be fine even if there is another update released. Not all units were affected, I rode one that had a flat spot in the powerband, then I hopped on another and had no issue at all. The update will just make the spyder run a little better for those of you that have little quirks, the others it will not affect you at all.:2thumbs:

I had tongue firmly planted in cheek on that one.........:D

Still, flashing firmware is always a procedure that can go horribly wrong. I've turned one computer into a doorstop that way :shocked:

"Sorry sir, we just bricked your Spyder.....but you can always use it to decorate your garage :doorag:"

I'll admit it does look good in my garage, but looks better on the road.....with me riding it. :D

Arana
09-16-2009, 07:43 PM

You know, I had my Spyder about a year now, and I always had the gas smell with the stock mufler and wth the Hindle, so I have not had the up-date yet, but will soon. I will tell my dealer.

I have never had any problems with my Arana (:spyder2:), but I will like to take the fuel smell out of the equation.

Venezuela, How is it?

Pilo
09-16-2009, 10:34 PM
You know, I had my Spyder about a year now, and I always had the gas smell with the stock mufler and wth the Hindle, so I have not had the up-date yet, but will soon. I will tell my dealer.

I have never had any problems with my Arana (:spyder2:), but I will like to take the fuel smell out of the equation.

Venezuela, How is it?

Hey Araņa:

I extended the evap-can breather hose from the goose-neck until the rear axle, and that did away with the gas smell, except when the wind is blowing from the back and I am on a stand-still (e.g. traffic light), or when I drive it into my garage after a ride.

In those cases I can see fumes coming out of the breather hose, and even a couple of gasoline drops (either my evap canister is saturated and / or fumes condensate along the +/- 5' hose extension).

I am planning to do a 'canisterectomy' (plenty of posts / threads) and see how it behaves, and if the engine works better with the purge-valve hose blocked.

Venezuela, and especially Maracaibo where I live, is quite hot (100°F average), so using the SE5 in stop-n-go traffic is uncomfortable to say it politely.

I have ridden it a couple of times in short road trips (+/-200 miles) and it behaves well.

Saludos from an Argentinean in Venezuela