PDA

View Full Version : 1330cc Fans won't shut off 2014 Spyder RT 6

drifterdan
11-11-2019, 01:17 AM
I hand washed my Spyder and now my fans won't turn off. Was running great until then. (No good deed goes unpunished!) The check engine light also is on. It has been like this for a month.Any Ideas? Thanks
Also where is the coolant temperature located? Been searching everywhere and I get everything BUT location. Thanks

PMK
11-11-2019, 07:08 AM
Unlikely washing it caused the problem, but maybe.

Obviously best to gather the failure codes and see where it leads, but possibly the engine temp sensor failed and is telling the computer the engine is overheated. This assumes you do have coolant in the motor and catch tank.

Highwayman2013
11-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Are the radiators clogged ?

PMK
11-11-2019, 08:35 AM
Are the radiators clogged ?

Excellent point. I may have incorrectly assumed with no issues prior to washing the radiators were clear. Maybe debris was washed into the fins, blocking air flow.

Chupaca
11-11-2019, 11:09 AM
:agree: also check the plugs to the harness something has shorted causing the fans to stay on. See which way they are blowing .. into the engine compartment or outwards...:thumbup:

stevencovert
11-12-2019, 04:57 AM
Get code(s) first. Hold both MODE + SELECT down then press the turn switch straight in. Codes only show if the bike is running with the engine light on (or other indicators). It would take a LOT to gum up the radiator fins to the level that would cause high heat. I had years of oil and gunk on the top half of a radiator but temp was normal (I cleaned up good anyways). My guess if it happened after a wash water got on or in something like the temperature sensor. Likely whatever it is would clear up once you got the engine hot and ran for a bit. But if you see the check engine light again grab the code and post here!

drifterdan
11-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Thanks, but, I checked already. This starts from the get go, before the engine even begins to warm up. Gage still shows bottom cold line.

PW2013STL
11-12-2019, 05:54 PM
Thanks, but, I checked already. This starts from the get go, before the engine even begins to warm up. Gage still shows bottom cold line.

This leads me to think you have a defective temperature sensor. The one that controls the fans.

PMK
11-12-2019, 07:52 PM
As a thought towards easy and lazy, before replacing the sensor, swap the fan relay. Maybe it stuck closed.

bluewoo
11-14-2019, 05:29 PM
As a thought towards easy and lazy, before replacing the sensor, swap the fan relay. Maybe it stuck closed.

I agree with PMK also-relays are known for this and its an quick it's a free check to find the problem or just unplug the sensor?

12tree
11-15-2019, 10:53 AM
I have no idea if this will help or not. I have solved problems with my computers often by removing all power for 30 seconds and then repowering. If I had this issue the first thing I would do is disconnect battery, count to 30, and then reconnect battery. Cheap, easy, and worth a shot. Best of luck.

drifterdan
12-01-2019, 03:17 PM
Thanks. I tested relay and it is ok.

drifterdan
12-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Thanks. Old battery died and replaced. Have tried disconnecting battery. No luck