PDA

View Full Version : Spyder 1st time

Jlfcobra
11-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Hi, this is my 1st time. Not sure if doing this right. I am getting a 2010 Spyder RT-SE5 tomorrow, (I get some freedom back with my disabilities). I was wondering do we have to use BMP only oil, or can I use a different type of full synthetic. If so could I please give info on what. $80 plus for each oil kit.
Thanks

dpetrick
11-04-2019, 07:28 PM
Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of discussion about oil on this forum. You can use non BRP oil. Just make sure it is motorcycle oil and has the ratings listed in the manual. Also read the How to Check the Oil section of the manual so you use the right procedure. Check the oil every 400-500 miles as the 998 engines do use a bit between changes.
Enjoy the ride and give yourself some time to get used to the way a Spyder rides and handles.

ARtraveler
11-04-2019, 08:06 PM
:welcome:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-04-2019, 08:40 PM
Hi, this is my 1st time. Not sure if doing this right. I am getting a 2010 Spyder RT-SE5 tomorrow, (I get some freedom back with my disabilities). I was wondering do we have to use BMP only oil, or can I use a different type of full synthetic. If so could I please give info on what. $80 plus for each oil kit.
Thanks

Hi and :congrats: …. :welcome: ….. Many, many folks here DON'T use BRP oil ( or filters ) ….. I use Rotella T-6 full synthetic in 5w40, ( as do many others ) …. right now They are giving a great Re-bate on this oil …. google Shell Rotella re-bate for the LINK …… I also buy my HiFlo " HF556, oil filters on E-bay for about $6.00 each shipped free ….. Mike :ohyea:

pegasus1300
11-05-2019, 01:05 AM
+1 on the Shell Rotella, but most any JASO MA2 synthetic will work. The Shell is available at most Walmart. It is quite cheap but very good. I buy my filters from BajaRon a sponsor on this site. With your 998 SE5 you will need two filters and he has both. Be sure to read the manual about how to check the oil, the process is a little different and you will want to be very familiar with it as the VTwin does use oil. Check every 500 moles or so. Then ride it often. It will take you a little time to transition over if you are coming from 2 wheels.Post early, post often, and post pictures.

Gwolf
11-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of discussion about oil on this forum. You can use non BRP oil. Just make sure it is motorcycle oil and has the ratings listed in the manual. Also read the How to Check the Oil section of the manual so you use the right procedure. Check the oil every 400-500 miles as the 998 engines do use a bit between changes.
Enjoy the ride and give yourself some time to get used to the way a Spyder rides and handles.

+1 on that and I will add to it, that you should check to make sure the oil is formulated for wet clutch systems. The oil I use says right in the bottles, " Formulated For Wet Clutch Systems". You can often find all that information if you put the type of oil in Google and add the word "specs" to the end of it. That should take you to the oil manufacturer's page with all the technical specs for the oil you are looking for.