PDA

View Full Version : Seat advice needed

rab1951
10-13-2019, 05:06 PM
I recently purchased a F3 Ltd and went for my first long ride (about 400 miles round trip) on it over the weekend. The first couple of hours I was ok but then my stock seat started causing me a good deal of pain. The ridge in the seat that starts about 4 1/2 inches from the front and continues to the front of the seat was causing pain in the area between anus and genitals. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what was the fix? I have had several motorcycles in the past and have not experienced this issue. I love my spyder but I have to get this issue resolved. Any advice is much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Cruzr Joe
10-13-2019, 05:18 PM
Try the “air hawk R Cruiser Large”. At Walmart.com for $ 106.00. If it don’t work you can return it, I have the same bike and can easily do a700 mile day with the air hawk. If it don’t work..... you have lost nothing

Cruzr joe

Ex-Rocket
10-13-2019, 07:22 PM
I second that on the Air hawk R. The secret is to not put too much air in the seat.

JP58
10-13-2019, 07:43 PM
I installed Motorcycle Dave's gel pad and it helped a lot.

cptjam
10-13-2019, 10:29 PM
Laamseats.com
Get one custom made to fit you. Best investment ever!

rab1951
10-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered the airhawk and I hope it works out. Fixin the issue for $100 would be great.

Frankie69
10-14-2019, 07:17 PM
I have air hawk also, you don't need much air at all, it will look like there is hardly in it. If there is too much you will hate and think it's no good. Very little air

Bruiser37
10-15-2019, 06:44 AM
I recently purchased a F3 Ltd and went for my first long ride (about 400 miles round trip) on it over the weekend. The first couple of hours I was ok but then my stock seat started causing me a good deal of pain. The ridge in the seat that starts about 4 1/2 inches from the front and continues to the front of the seat was causing pain in the area between anus and genitals. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what was the fix? I have had several motorcycles in the past and have not experienced this issue. I love my spyder but I have to get this issue resolved. Any advice is much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Have owned 2016 F3-T and now 2018 RT Limited both seats are swayback male genital crushers... couldn't ride more than 200 miles without excruciating pain. The Airhawk was an improvement but replacement is a must for longer rides. I am having my RT seat modified by local shop with lots of motorcycle seat modification experience with extra padding that removes OEM swayback design, around $150. The Russel custom Spyder seat was the most comfortable I ever sat on but it comes at a price, around $1K but others that are almost as comfortable come in around $500-$700. A price you have to pay to get rid of OEM crap.

prodog87
10-15-2019, 07:02 AM
I second the Air Hawk with very little air, just enough to keep my heinie from contacting the stock seat, a technique I learned while camping with an air mattress.

rab1951
10-15-2019, 05:24 PM
Thanks for tips on the air hawk. its scheduled to be delivered on Monday. Im looking forward to giving it a try.

rtotten
10-15-2019, 06:12 PM
Sending my seat off to Laamseats.com next week!

Tazzel
10-15-2019, 08:32 PM
I had various brands of seats for my RS and F3 nothing worked better then the Airhawk and much cheaper

Rattlebars
10-17-2019, 04:17 PM
One trick is to switch seats every fuel stop. Airhawk then switch to nothing (then if you have a gel pad switch to it) then back to the air hawk. that should cover long rides. :D

Motorcycledave
10-17-2019, 06:20 PM
That is common with the seats I can help you with that and not brake the bank
Give me a call 9AM to 8PM pacific time 209-887-3283
Dave

Motorcycledave
10-17-2019, 06:21 PM
How about fixing the problem for $79.95 ?

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered the airhawk and I hope it works out. Fixin the issue for $100 would be great.

Igofshn
10-17-2019, 09:50 PM
That is common with the seats I can help you with that and not brake the bank
Give me a call 9AM to 8PM pacific time 209-887-3283
Dave

Dave,. Where are you located?

troop
10-18-2019, 08:34 AM
Hell, Using a 10% coupon code and $10 Amazon gift card, I ordered this for $23. It will arrive tomorrow. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJQBJYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I also have a Speedmetal air seat pad (Cycle Gear $15 clearance) that I will use on it. We shall see ...

Yeochips
10-18-2019, 08:48 AM
I bought an Air Hawk after a 10 hour trip this year...WHAT A DIFFERENCE. This along with my Alaskan Leather "sheepskin" cover I can ride 10 hours with no pain. Make the buy, you wont regret it.

MNBK
10-18-2019, 09:43 AM
I have tried a Cannonball seat, didn't like it and sold it. Tried a Russell seat (had one on each of my two previous bikes), didn't like it and sold it. I went to the Ultimate seat and LOVE it. Did 425, 450 and 850 miles in three consecutive days with absolutely no problems. My wife liked it enough to get one for her F3L.

Just my experience. My wife did try the Air Hawk and said that wasn't going to work for her.

You're the only one who can decide what is best for you.

ARtraveler
10-18-2019, 10:07 AM
I bought an Air Hawk after a 10 hour trip this year...WHAT A DIFFERENCE. This along with my Alaskan Leather "sheepskin" cover I can ride 10 hours with no pain. Make the buy, you wont regret it.

I still have the same combo's. Used both a lot when I had the hip issues. Now, happily, both are still available to use...but not needed.

rab1951
10-18-2019, 05:50 PM
My Air Hawk got here today. I was able to get out for a couple of hours on it and it is much better than the stock seat. I had no pain. I dont think it will be my permanent solution but for now its going to help a lot. As others have suggested it only needs a little air to do its job.

Bfromla
10-18-2019, 10:09 PM
One trick is to switch seats every fuel stop. Airhawk then switch to nothing (then if you have a gel pad switch to it) then back to the air hawk. that should cover long rides. :D:thumbup: & eats up valuable storage space:dontknow:

troop
10-19-2019, 08:30 AM
Hell, Using a 10% coupon code and $10 Amazon gift card, I ordered this for $23. It will arrive tomorrow. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJQBJYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I also have a Speedmetal air seat pad (Cycle Gear $15 clearance) that I will use on it. We shall see ...

My air cushion arrived yesterday afternoon, and on it went. This air pad does not come with a cover, and is meant to be sat on direct. The air cells have a nylon type coating for durability, without being slippery. The kit comes with a pump/tube to actually fill with water, as you would with air. The air pad/supplied elastic straps fit the F3 seat perfectly. The inflation valve is positioned out of the way of any seat/butt contact. I also put the Speedmetal vent cover over the top of the air cushion. Aesthetically, not the greatest with the vent pad installed, but a short spin showed that it has nice possibilities. Heck, the air cushion can be had for $34. We shall see....

Phatjac
10-20-2019, 09:06 AM
I have tried a Cannonball seat, didn't like it and sold it. Tried a Russell seat (had one on each of my two previous bikes), didn't like it and sold it. I went to the Ultimate seat and LOVE it. Did 425, 450 and 850 miles in three consecutive days with absolutely no problems. My wife liked it enough to get one for her F3L.

Just my experience. My wife did try the Air Hawk and said that wasn't going to work for her.

I don't want to be a highjacker, but can someone tell me the difference between the Cannonball and Coast-to-Coast F3 seats.
When I bought my 2016 F3L Special Series it had a Mustang seat but didn't like it so much, I bought a Coast-to-Coast and I'm not sure it's my forever seat!!
Any Thoughts would be appreciated!!

Blackrain047
10-20-2019, 02:02 PM
I don't want to be a highjacker, but can someone tell me the difference between the Cannonball and Coast-to-Coast F3 seats.
When I bought my 2016 F3L Special Series it had a Mustang seat but didn't like it so much, I bought a Coast-to-Coast and I'm not sure it's my forever seat!!
Any Thoughts would be appreciated!!

I have the Coast to Coast seats and the honest difference between the two is just the stitching. I'm in the process of looking for some better seats though. Don't get either one. Look elsewhere - my humble opinion.

Peteoz
10-20-2019, 03:40 PM
I have the Coast to Coast seats and the honest difference between the two is just the stitching. I'm in the process of looking for some better seats though. Don't get either one. Look elsewhere - my humble opinion.

Having had the stock, the Cannonball and the Coast to Coast, I couldn’t agree more, Blackrain :thumbup: ..... but.....Martin the Vlogger just replaced his stock seat with a Cannonball and loves it. What works for one bum will not work for another........which is why I always recommend forgetting the seat trials and going straight to a custom built seat that the builder “guarantees” will solve your issue.

Pete

KenInMN
10-21-2019, 05:55 AM

Haven't seen you in Person since I bought my F3 Dave. I put an Ultimate on it at Sturgis. Hands down the best seat I have had.

Cruzr Joe
10-21-2019, 08:39 AM

Tried the Hommie seat cushion, fair rating definitely not as good as an Airhawk

Cruzr Joe

Spydermike
10-25-2019, 09:21 AM
I started having some butt pain and ordered an airhawk. The first time I went out on it felt fantastic, I followed instructions and sat on it while deflating until I sunk in. The 2nd time I went out was a different story. I felt like I was sliding all over the place, and generally was not comfortable. I also felt like there was no air in it at all. Perhaps there was a leak?

It just came to me that maybe I need to adjust the straps tighter. Since I was comfortable on it the first time I'm not ready to give up on it, but probably need to make a few more adjustments.

Peteoz
10-25-2019, 08:01 PM
For what it is worth, here is what I have found after 20 years of searching for comfortable seats, and finding the solution some 15 years ago.
Have a look at your car bucket seats, in which I imagine you are comfortable for extended periods. See how wide they are, and probably with a raised section on each side. This provides support under the outer thighs. This is the same theory that companies like Daylong use to guarantee long term comfort......see photo below.

Now have a look at the Cannonball seat laid on top of the Daylong. It does NOT have that additional thigh support. This is why it works for some people and not others. Also attached are a couple of photos of an Airhawk Large, laid over both the Cannonball and Daylong seats. It hangs well over the Cannonball, and is not as wide as the Daylong. That is why IT works for some people and not others, as it effectively pushes air out from the centre to raise the outer edges and act as a type of outer thigh support. It is however, not as wide as the Daylong wings.

Even the likes of Ultimate, Mustang and Corbin do not provide support under the outer thigh, which is why they work for some and not others.

Sure, Daylongs and similar custom seats can be expensive, and perhaps ugly, but I can live with that as they give all day comfort.

I hope this info is of some value to those looking at sourcing aftermarket seats :dontknow:

Pete

Thopper
10-25-2019, 10:07 PM
I took the upholstery cover off my stock seat and trimmed the heck out f my stock set to make room for the jewels and added daves gel set. On seat in the seat and have room for my pieces parts...great results. Its very easy to take off the seat cover and do what ever you need to do with an electric knife to the seat foam and the staple the cover back on.

ladygadget
10-26-2019, 12:22 AM
You'll be glad you did.

Blackrain047
10-26-2019, 05:45 AM
I have no experience with Dave's or Russell Day Long (?) seats, but I can say that the Ultimate seats are the best I've sat on thus far. Expensive, but worth it. My wife has one and she's always wondering why I'm always 2-Up passenger on the back of hers! LOL

Peteoz
10-26-2019, 04:33 PM
I have no experience with Dave's or Russell Day Long (?) seats, but I can say that the Ultimate seats are the best I've sat on thus far. Expensive, but worth it. My wife has one and she's always wondering why I'm always 2-Up passenger on the back of hers! LOL

Great to see that the Ultimate is working for you and your wife, Blackrain:thumbup: ....... if you can find that perfect bum/seat match, days in the saddle become an absolute joy :ohyea:

Pete

Rattlebars
10-27-2019, 01:46 PM

I think I'll get one of those. Thanks for the link. I will use one in my Lexus when I seasonally tow my bike south and north. I can keep my air hawk in the bike folded. Sweet! My air hawk was purchased in 1996 and still performs perfectly.

Rattlebars
10-27-2019, 02:19 PM
How much air to put in one of these air cushions. Not much. If you fold it in half bubble side out it takes up very little storage space.

Yeochips
10-27-2019, 04:15 PM
I third that! add an Alaskan Leather sheepskin cover on that and 10 plus day is nothing.