PDA

View Full Version : Electric Shift.

HotRodLincoln
07-18-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm considering buying a spyder. I been riding a big inch modified HD with a sidehack for 20 years and its great but I'm looking for something different. I'm an incomplete paraplegic and do most all my own mods. If I were to buy a spyder I would opt for the std tranny version as I like having a clutch. I do know that pingel makes electric shift kits for many bikes and I dont see too much problem with adapting a electirc shift kit to a std tranny spyder...was wondering if anyone has thought of or better yet, done it? I have a hand shift now but its slow to operate, even tho it looks cool. A button near the throttle would be instant.

I see the brake dilemma has been developed albeit quite pricey IMO. I owned a grizzly atv which utilized a factory cable actuated hydraulic rear brake and it worked great so I would probably do that and save a grand.

I guess my next need would be floor boards and a LH side mount non-gaudy looking lightweight wheelchair(folding) holder that does not interfere with a passenger.

Any updates on this?

Also....any feeling that brp will update the spyder with a bigger more powerful engine sometime soon? I wish they would see the light and offer an electric shift model rather than the complicated/expensive auto clutch model.....and a hand brake lever. Great site and its nice to see my injured brothers are getting out there. Thanks. :thumbup:

Questions
07-18-2009, 01:49 PM
I too was wondering if BRP would increase the power on the spyder. This is one of the reasons I have delayed my purchase thus far. Normally there are changes to a vehicle every three or four years, I would hate to buy a spyder and the very next model came out with 40 more horspower. Good luck with your spyder research.

zzneonzz
07-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm considering buying a spyder. I been riding a big inch modified HD with a sidehack for 20 years and its great but I'm looking for something different. I'm an incomplete paraplegic and do most all my own mods. If I were to buy a spyder I would opt for the std tranny version as I like having a clutch. I do know that pingel makes electric shift kits for many bikes and I dont see too much problem with adapting a electirc shift kit to a std tranny spyder...was wondering if anyone has thought of or better yet, done it? I have a hand shift now but its slow to operate, even tho it looks cool. A button near the throttle would be instant.

:thumbup:

There is one atleast 1 user here who added a Kliktronic shifter here is a link to a site with some pictures of one installed on a spyder.

http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/canamspyder.html

Tripod
07-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Hot Rod,

Welcome aboard man,

Check out our forum for "Enabled Riders"...you might find a lot of info there too.

I know that some have added the Kliktronic to the Spyder. I've used one of their units for about 7 years on two Valkyrie trikes. It never missed one shift, it was never repaired, adjusted, nada. However, I'm loving my SE-5 and don't miss clutching at all. I'm just saying...

I've got a bum left leg that's why I went with the SE-5. I needed floorboards and the choices were few. I ponyed up for the ISCI boards and don't regret it all. They are both beautiful and bulletproof.

More horsepower? For me, as is, the Spyder will get me in all the trouble I can stand.

I hope you hang around,

Tripod :joke:

Wheelz
07-19-2009, 02:13 AM
I use the Pingle Electronic shifter. Its made specifically for the spyder and no custom fabrication needed.

http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter_spyder.htm

mike3069
07-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Hello andwelcome

Here is a link to my post on floorboards. I f you look through it a ways there are also pictures of my Klicktronics electric shifter that I got from Gail at the disabled motorcycles link posted in one of the above posts.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5511&highlight=simple+floorboards

Mike

fastfraser
07-19-2009, 07:41 AM
welcome Everything you need and more can be found on this site. If it isn't on this site it hasn't been made or tried yet.

RoadHammer
07-19-2009, 09:04 AM
you will have zero trouble putting an aftermarket electric shift on an sm5. Also the spyder in its stock form has plenty of balls.

also look up member floto612. he put electric shift on sm5. it's the first spyder i ever rode, and thanks to him lending me his bike i bought one:thumbup:

Bersquack
07-19-2009, 10:06 AM
welcome

HotRodLincoln
07-23-2009, 09:41 AM
I use the Pingle Electronic shifter. Its made specifically for the spyder and no custom fabrication needed.

http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter_spyder.htm

Thats awesome....its already been fabricated. Thanks for all the responses. A side W/C mount is all thats needed.....A bolt on lightweight alum that allows for a passenger. I guess its only a matter of time before someone builds it.

SethO
07-24-2009, 10:06 PM
I have one for sale, sent you a pm