PDA

View Full Version : Question for former or current Goldwing owners who have a Spyder

Slvrvalk1
10-04-2019, 02:39 PM
I previously had a 2014 Goldwing equipped with wind wings on the mirrors. I am considering buying a Spyder. My question is regarding the wind protection from the Goldwing compared to an F3T, F3 Limited, or RT. Does the Goldwing have better wind protection than any of the Spyders? I realize that many of you have replaced the stock windshield on the F3 models so please tell me how the wind protection is with the replacement shield.

I appreciate any information that you provide.

Dave

PinkRosePetal
10-04-2019, 03:14 PM
The GW has good protection but terrible buffeting in the turbulence behind the barn door sized screen. I can only speak of the RT and it is better because it lets air into the low pressure area behind the screen. An RT with a vent in the screen is better still. Rain doesn't pose a problem through the screen vent even though you might imagine it would. So, IMHO the RT is considerably better than a standard GW.

Slvrvalk1
10-04-2019, 03:47 PM
I should have added that I had a Madstad windshield on my Wing. With the air wings and the Madstad, I did not have the problems that occur with the standard Goldwing windshield that you describe.

Thanks.

Dave

bluewoo
10-04-2019, 03:54 PM
My RT is way better than the 2006 GW was and I get zero wind on my hands now. Windscreen is stock on both the GW and now the RT ltd.
When the back of your hand is cold and the heated grips are on this would cause PAIN - I do not have this issue with the RT.

Flamewinger
10-04-2019, 06:15 PM
On the RT I have found I need warmer gloves and I just put a Freedom windshield as the stock one doesn't protect enough. I felt much more protections on the Goldwings and want snow pants for winter when I didn't need them on the Wing. (I look over the windshield as you can't see much looking through it when it's raining) I had a Windbender on the Wing and love the motorized shield on the RT. You are more on top of the Spyder rather than then Wing. Look down to check mirrors.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-04-2019, 06:22 PM
The GW has good protection but terrible buffeting in the turbulence behind the barn door sized screen. I can only speak of the RT and it is better because it lets air into the low pressure area behind the screen. An RT with a vent in the screen is better still. Rain doesn't pose a problem through the screen vent even though you might imagine it would. So, IMHO the RT is considerably better than a standard GW.

:agree: ….. The F-3 models are very different in frontal area, I can't imagine they even have equal wind protection ….. good luck …. Mike :ohyea:

bikerbillone
10-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Really like these 'comparison threads', subscribed....

SpyderAnn01
10-04-2019, 09:06 PM
The F3T/F3Ltd greatly benefits from an F4 Customs windshield with their Air Wings. Gives great protection from cold and rain and you can direct air flow on to you in hot weather.

bluewoo
10-05-2019, 08:57 AM
Do a demo ride and see for yourself.:thumbup:

JP58
10-05-2019, 09:12 AM
The F3T/F3Ltd greatly benefits from an F4 Customs windshield with their Air Wings. Gives great protection from cold and rain and you can direct air flow on to you in hot weather.

I will add to this. Baker make wings under the mirror and down below for your legs for the F3L and T models. You get great wind protection with all. I ride only down to 40 degrees but I keep comfortable. No buffeting and stay warm.

grumpyoldretiredcop
10-05-2019, 11:38 PM
I had a 2006 GL1800 and now ride a 2017 F3T with a Show Chrome 20-401 windshield, no additional wind wings. I can't say that there's much difference in wind protection between the two. With the factory windshield, there was a great deal more buffeting on the F3T than on the GL1800. For comparison's sake, I'm 6'0" with a 32 inch inseam.

cptjam
10-06-2019, 08:10 AM
The Spyder is better for wind protection than my 18 Wing. By far.

fjray
10-06-2019, 09:34 AM
Had a 03 wing, sold it and bought a 15 RTL. Rode the RTL for 15k miles and never made friends with it so went back to a 06 wing. For us the wing is more comfortable and has way less wind buffeting.

DanY
08-25-2020, 04:25 PM
Had a 2012 Goldwing, sold it to buy a 2016 RTL. IMO-buffeting turbulence is much much less on the RTL.

With windshield up or down, less turbulence on the RTL.

KidDoc
08-25-2020, 04:45 PM
I just went from a 2014 GL1800 to a 2019 Spyder F3-T. I did upgrade the Spyder windscreen to 15" from the stock 12". I like to look over the screen and probably could have gone to a 17". I'm 5'9" and have no buffeting at all and rain diversion at highway speed is very good. I had no air wings on my Goldwing but I would say overall, wind protection is better on the Spyder especially down low.

JayBros
08-25-2020, 07:41 PM
Do a demo ride and see for yourself.:thumbup:

The best answer IMO. You're dealing here with anecdotes from riders of different size, age, experience, whatever. The Spyder and any windshield, either stock or aftermarket, must satisfy YOU.