PDA

View Full Version : Comparing the V46 GIVI to the Corbin trunk on my Spyder...

SpyderGirl
07-16-2009, 10:00 AM
V46 with mounting rack, backrest pad, light kit, and rail kit about $650 with tax (46L)

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/uploads/monthly_07_2009/post-3386-1247755457.jpg

Compared to this - Corbin trunk - about $1,050 with tax (28.5L)

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/uploads/monthly_07_2009/post-3386-1247755730.jpg

What do you think????

Discuss.

tatt2r
07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
go with the givi when you put it side by side look cool also ...
(great photoshop job the guy who did that must have been a genius):joke:

Donzo
07-16-2009, 10:10 AM
I say go with the Givi -- but go red IMO to keep the red "flowing" along the top of the bike.

Director
07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
I say go with the Givi -- but go red IMO to keep the red "flowing" along the top of the bike.

:agree:

BumbleBee
07-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I say go with the Givi -- but go red IMO to keep the red "flowing" along the top of the bike.[/quote]
:agree::agree:

Firefly
07-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I would go with the Corbin. Sleeker looking for sure. Maybe go with a 2-tone paint on it---- red/silver - which I think is an extra $100.

Bersquack
07-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Givi is cheaper, more room, easily detacheable.

We have a winner.:firstplace:

FANG
07-16-2009, 10:42 AM

Agree -- after looking at them as you have posted the GIVI is definitely the choice. Color match it if you can

smokster
07-16-2009, 10:56 AM

I have and like the Givi, however their brake light kit does not work

SpyderGirl
07-16-2009, 10:59 AM
I will consider the red for the GIVI trunk. It seems to be pretty unanimous that the GIVI trunk is a winner on my Spyder over the Corbin option. I was so worried I would hate it and that it would really take away from the look, but compared side-by-side I see little difference that would sway me away from saving some money and having more space. I will also consider not purchasing the brake light kit if you say it doesn't work.

Much thanks to tatt2r for the photoshop job. Genius. :2thumbs:

Maybe you can change the trunk to red in the photo??

tatt2r
07-16-2009, 11:42 AM

SpyderGirl
07-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Hmm.... the red looks nice too.... decisions, decisions........

DynamoBT
07-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Red Givi looks sensational!!! I'd go with that if you can. Looks sharp!!!

SpyderJo
07-16-2009, 12:07 PM
I went with the Givi, and it looks super cool!

Jo:clap:

SpyderJo
07-16-2009, 12:08 PM
YAHOO! I'm no longer a "junior member"!:yes::yes::yes:

burg650
07-16-2009, 12:19 PM
For the money and ease of use and space Givi all the way, for looks then Corbin for sure.

SpyderGirl
07-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Well then I think I'll be saving up my nickles and getting the GIVI then. I do like that it's easily detachable too.

smokster
07-16-2009, 12:33 PM
I will consider the red for the GIVI trunk. It seems to be pretty unanimous that the GIVI trunk is a winner on my Spyder over the Corbin option. I was so worried I would hate it and that it would really take away from the look, but compared side-by-side I see little difference that would sway me away from saving some money and having more space. I will also consider not purchasing the brake light kit if you say it doesn't work.

Much thanks to tatt2r for the photoshop job. Genius. :2thumbs:

Maybe you can change the trunk to red in the photo??
If you leave the trunk on all the time, the connection may not be affected. If you remove often like I do, the connection just does not seem to make contact necessary to work. Plus, the actual light is only the red dotted area, not the whole red area in the back.

Bersquack
07-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I vote red!

Director
07-16-2009, 01:07 PM
If you leave the trunk on all the time, the connection may not be affected. If you remove often like I do, the connection just does not seem to make contact necessary to work. Plus, the actual light is only the red dotted area, not the whole red area in the back.

Hey smokster, my V46 brake light setup has continued to work fine, although like you say it is fairly limited in its scope (just the red dotted lights). I leave it on most of the time, but often remove it when washing the Spyder. I always make sure the connection is dried off before putting the box back in place. Therefore, for the most part, the connection is not exposed to the elements. This may be the difference in the functionality of my box as opposed to yours.

Sorry if this sidebar is hijacking your thread, Spydergirl!

Cheers,

Bruce

SpyderGirl
07-16-2009, 02:07 PM
:doorag: Nah, it's all good. The more information the better.

smokster
07-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Hey smokster, my V46 brake light setup has continued to work fine, although like you say it is fairly limited in its scope (just the red dotted lights). I leave it on most of the time, but often remove it when washing the Spyder. I always make sure the connection is dried off before putting the box back in place. Therefore, for the most part, the connection is not exposed to the elements. This may be the difference in the functionality of my box as opposed to yours.

Sorry if this sidebar is hijacking your thread, Spydergirl!

Cheers,

Bruce
I must be a lucky one then
I take it off every long trip though.
Still love the unit.
I packed 3 days of clothes in there last weekend
Spydergirl, I use it with the kewmetal rack that also gives you additional options

WackyDan
07-16-2009, 06:01 PM
The V46 actually sits a little higher than that than in the photoshop picture. I have the v46 and $75 V46 backrest option.

I like the look of the corbin, especially when paired with the fleetliners. They just make the lines of the bike flow.

But I have the V35's as well, so the V46 was complimentary to those, and I bomb around most of the time with just the v46 on the bike. Lots of room.

Comes down to pros and cons of space, looks, and the ability to remove the Givi.

docdoru
07-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Red Corbin trunk IMO to match the bags.

Take a look at the Director's Spyder:

http://www.SpyderTalk.com/forums/uploads/monthly_07_2009/post-1560-1247682484.jpg

DynamoBT
07-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Not to threadjack, but WackyDan what rack/plate do you have that the Givi topcase mounts on?

vtrider
07-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I plan to get a trunk with a backrest setup for my spyder when I can afford it. I personally like the corbin trunk for looks and how it fits on the spyder. I want to leave the trunk in place once installed, so removal is not a concern for me. You can't go wrong with the Givi bags though. They make some good quallity stuff.

jnt
07-16-2009, 06:38 PM
We have the V46 and love it! It will hold two full face helms plus?? Can add lites.

Motza
07-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Corbin matches better with your side bags, Givi has a whole different look. I personally wouldn't mix the two together JMO

I'd like to see a real nice set of Black leather hard case side bags

smokster
07-16-2009, 08:18 PM
We have the V46 and love it! It will hold two full face helms plus?? Can add lites.
They advertise two full face, my 2 shoei helmets do not fit

WackyDan
07-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Not to threadjack, but WackyDan what rack/plate do you have that the Givi topcase mounts on?

You can't use the BRP sport rack or backrest with the V46. You have to use the rack specific to the V46 to the best of my knowledge. Rack looks decent when the top case is off, and you could probably tie up some other stuff to it if needed.

Here is a site that will give you an idea..
http://www.sporttour.com/luggage/givi/case_v46.htm

and another with the top rack option and light kits.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/602

I can fit my wife's Sys-max in there but not mine. and no way would it hold two of those modular helmets.

I'm still torn between the givis I have and the Corbin stuff. If I had bought a phantom, I would have absolutely gone FLeetliner instead.

My biggest regret with the Givis, is not waiting for the BRP V35's and racks. Being able to pull the side racks on a whim would have been nice. I ended up with the I7 racks. Ok.,.so its not a big regret. :)

Lamonster
07-17-2009, 08:10 AM
If you really want an opinion I'll give you mine. :D

If you got Corbin bags then go with the Corbin trunk. The quality of the two products is going to stand out like a sore thumb. The Corbin looks custom and flows with the lines of the Spyder. Adding a GIVI with the Corbin will always look out of place. IMHO

Now if you like the GIVI setup then why not sell the Corbin bags and go all GIVI. You would be money ahead and it would look much better having matching bags and trunk.:thumbup:

GIVI are known more for the piratical aspect of their product, not the styling. They look fine but they are not a custom looking bag/trunk. I have a GIVI trunk sitting here now that I've had on my Boss Hoss and my M109R and it just never looked right to me.

Bottomline is you got to do what you think is right but you did ask what we thought. ;)

SpyderGirl
07-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Well then I just think I'll hold out for the hopes of a larger Corbin trunk as rumored. For now I've got plenty of storage -- just purchased my PiggyBacker last night.

Thanks all for the input and advice. :D

FANG
07-17-2009, 10:42 AM
What about using Kewlmetal truck plate as a mount for the GIVI's - don't think you are limited to the GIVI mounting system ????? :dontknow:

smokster
07-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Just wondering....are you more confused now then before posting?:dontknow:

SpyderGirl
07-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Just wondering....are you more confused now then before posting?:dontknow:

Me? Nope. Just getting opinions and ideas. I always like to dream about mods while I am at work and this was just an idea I was toying around with in my head. :doorag: