PDA

View Full Version : CLOSE CALL .... THANK NMN

tatt2r
07-16-2009, 09:22 AM
me and the better half started yesterday off with a dentist visit for her .... after a great meal at the cheese cake factory... got to sit outside to eat weather was picture perfect.... a nice ride to the coast ... because of medical issues with her dad she hasnt been able to get out too much... on the way back from newburyport coming down 495 we were in the slow lane doing around 65-70 she was in front of me ... in the middle lane a towtruck past us... all of a sudden a lg rubber chalk block came off the truck...i saw it head right for her (dee is only about 5'4") the block was about to hit her in the head we had scala headsets on i yelled LOOKOUT she did a manuver to the right then back again the block bounced over her and she kept riding ... she said it must have looked worse from my angle... i am a firm believer that if she didnt have nmn risers on her spyder that her arms would have been to short to make that quick manuver she would have had to lean forward to much and i think the out come would not have been good that block must have been about 25lbs of hard rubber and at that speed would have knocked her off spyder ....
thanks Evan for not only creating a product that makes riding more comfortable and enjoyable but in my opinion improve handling and safer riding position and as far as we are concerned saved her life....

FANG
07-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Glad everyone is safe. Just another testament to being alert at all times. Great job Dee!!

Magic Man
07-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Although we don't sell these as an "Handling Option" I firmly believe they are as much a handling improvment for the Spyder as they are for comfort.

I'm glad Dee is OK. :thumbup:

Sounds like that could have hurt a bunch.:yikes:

MM

BumbleBee
07-16-2009, 09:47 AM
From your view point, that must have been scarry. I am happy to hear she was able to manuver the way she did, and you yelling out to her. I am glad that both of you are fine!!!! My husband always rides behind me (watches my back and his own)!!! :spyder:

beka
07-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Whew. I'm so glad Dee is ok.

DannyS
07-16-2009, 10:08 AM
You always want to watch anything ahead for the possibility of something coming off. I was following a truck with a load of unfinished furniture coming up a hill on 395 and the jerk had loaded a chest of drawers on the back with the drawers facing back. He hit a bump and lost a drawer right in front of me. No way to maneuver there were cars on both sides. I just stiffened and hit it as straight as I could the front end of my Harley came about three feet in the air then came down and bounced up once. I just held it straight and was fine. I learned my lesson then about following a load. When I could look in my rear view mirror the unfinished drawer was defiantly "finished" all I saw was splinters. I pulled over to the side of the road as soon as I could to check the bike and tires all was OK. I took a long time as I also had to allow my heart to slow down.:yikes::pray:

Derek Paisley
07-16-2009, 10:24 AM
So glad to hear that she's alright! Your a good man!

:2thumbs:

bone crusher
07-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Glad everyone is okay...

WizardMaster
07-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Looks like you were the "Better Half" that day.:thumbup:

TMehaffey
07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Glad she's ok! The risers really do make a difference.

DynamoBT
07-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Glad Dee is OK and that you were both alert and watching for trouble.

spydsense
07-16-2009, 12:56 PM
... i am a firm believer that if she didnt have nmn risers on her spyder that her arms would have been to short to make that quick manuver she would have had to lean forward to much and i think the out come would not have been good that block must have been about 25lbs of hard rubber and at that speed would have knocked her off spyder ....
thanks Evan for not only creating a product that makes riding more comfortable and enjoyable but in my opinion improve handling and safer riding position and as far as we are concerned saved her life....

Lets give Dee some credit too, it was her riding skills that saved her butt....A BIG AT-A-GIRL :ohyea:You are the woman.....

Roger
07-16-2009, 01:03 PM
I use to be a tow truckdriver part time those blocks can come hollow or solid either way you are talking about 10 to 20 pounds closer to 20 of very hard rubber that would have been just devastating. thats a good reason to have a fullface helmet. Operator probably did not check his load. Ever see Wrecked on speed those guys do it the correct way. Glad everyone is ok.

dltang
07-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Thank goodness for you being alert and dee being very responsive and for the NMN handlebars lending improved handling in a very potentially dangerous situation. So glad it turned out the way it did. Keep riding and keep enjoying and continue to be careful.

BRPjunkie
07-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Retreads thrown off semis also create an underwear challenge as chunks of rubber fly and bounce in your path. :yikes:

BillGargan
07-16-2009, 03:41 PM
I happen to have the HeliBar riser. I agree that the position change (in addition to a real comfort improvement) makes handling sooooo much better.

I don't have a scary story to tell and hope not to.

Some may like/love/accept the original handlebar position. I wanted it changed at the time of purchase. I had to wait 700 miles or so before it got changed. I would not go back!

wyliec
07-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Glad to hear of the excellent outcome. It's good she had magic's risers and you both had a scala.

Smylinacha
07-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Although we don't sell these as an "Handling Option" I firmly believe they are as much a handling improvment for the Spyder as they are for comfort.

I'm glad Dee is OK. :thumbup:

Sounds like that could have hurt a bunch.:yikes:

MM

Yup - makes the handling WAY better - I take curves much better now. I can go faster!:thumbup:

Smylinacha
07-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Good maneuvering Dee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you are okay!:thumbup: