PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake alarm going off after key shuts off

MonPaul
09-14-2019, 04:14 PM
I stopped to get gas and turned the key to off. My brake alarm started going off! I tried turning the key on and off again, then tried setting and resetting the parking brake but nothing worked. I ended up just putting some gas quickly so I could start it up again and it was fine. Is this a common problem and does anyone have an easy way to correct it?
I don't think it makes Can Am look very good when my alarm is going off filling up my gas tank!:gaah:

Chupaca
09-14-2019, 04:21 PM
My understanding is that if not set then the alarm goes off. Regardless of being in gear or not without the park brake set the unit will roll. Now the alarm will quit after 30 seconds or so. Once it goes off you have to restart and go through the correct setting...:banghead:

MonPaul
09-14-2019, 04:50 PM
My understanding is that if not set then the alarm goes off. Regardless of being in gear or not without the park brake set the unit will roll. Now the alarm will quit after 30 seconds or so. Once it goes off you have to restart and go through the correct setting...:banghead:

Thanks, I should have mentioned the indicator for the brake was on? When I tried switching back and forth the indicator never went off, maybe just a one time glitch????
Good to know it will only last 30 seconds - if it happens again I won't have to put gas in like I am in a pit crew!

johnnyrocket
09-14-2019, 06:59 PM
You need to activate parking brake before engine is turned off! If you do not do this and the alarm sounds(which it is supposed to) crank the engine up and activate the parking brake. Then turn it off and take your time gassing up:)

Snowbelt Spyder
09-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Clean the micro switch. Refer to this thread.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?124389-Parking-brake-problem&p=1463216#post1463216

SpyderAnn01
09-14-2019, 09:23 PM
Is your RT an 18 or 19? If so, you should start carrying two 12 mm wrenches which you will need if your parking brake will not release. This is a known issue.

Doc - Riverside
09-15-2019, 07:15 AM
You need to activate parking brake before engine is turned off! If you do not do this and the alarm sounds(which it is supposed to) crank the engine up and activate the parking brake. Then turn it off and take your time gassing up:)

The engine running is NOT a requirement for activating the parking brake. The only requirement is the key has to be on which applies 12 VDC to the parking brake circuit.

ABCtriker
09-15-2019, 07:25 AM
I have a 2019 - the emergency brake light is blinking and the parking brake will not release. bike won't move. Fortunately i'm at home, but What do I do with 2 12mm wrenches?

Wmoater
09-15-2019, 07:39 AM
Look where the cable is attached to the rear brake just on the side of the wheel. There is a metal hook and L bracket the cable goes through. There is a 12mm nut infront of the the hook. Loosen the nut till you can slide the cable out of the hook. You will still have regular brakes just not a parking brake. Chock the wheels with a rock or wedge.

before you do that I'd pull the panel and look at the microswitch. Push with your finger and clean.

Wmoater
09-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Here's a picture of a 17 of the switch. Not sure it is the same but should be about the same look.

youngers
09-15-2019, 07:46 AM
just a question ? ABC triker " did you try to toggle the switch couple of times ? " I am pretty sure you did , it is normal to give it a couple of on/off flips to make sure the thing worked the 1st time ... ( isn`t there a fuse for the brake ? you should have heard the actuator sound , as in it makes noise as it releases ... )

YIRYDE
09-15-2019, 04:55 PM
Is your RT an 18 or 19? If so, you should start carrying two 12 mm wrenches which you will need if your parking brake will not release. This is a known issue.

Ann, can you expand more on this issue with the 18 and 19?

Peteoz
09-15-2019, 05:03 PM
The engine running is NOT a requirement for activating the parking brake. The only requirement is the key has to be on which applies 12 VDC to the parking brake circuit.

Abso-bloody-lutely, Doc. That’s how I move my F3 around the garage. Drive in, engage neutral, park brake on, key off. Then key on, park brake off, move F3 around, park brake on, key off. It doesn’t need the engine running at all.

Pete

johnnyrocket
09-15-2019, 07:41 PM
Mine will not activate without engine running. I had my console replaced last year so maybe that has something to do with it. Mine is a 2015 RT which after console was replaced I do not need to wait for the start mode to finish whatever it does, it just cranks right up.

canamjhb
09-15-2019, 08:22 PM
Abso-bloody-lutely, Doc. That’s how I move my F3 around the garage. Drive in, engage neutral, park brake on, key off. Then key on, park brake off, move F3 around, park brake on, key off. It doesn’t need the engine running at all.

Pete

Same here. When I get back from a ride I need to move my golf car in order to put the Spyder to bed. My routine: Put Spyder in driveway, activate brake, turn key off, move golf car, turn Spyder key on, deactivate brake, push Spyder to its' home using passenger grip and handlebar, activate brake & turn key off. The only thing that doesn't work without the engine running is the DPS..... Jim