PDA

View Full Version : Flags on Spyders

pegasus1300
09-14-2019, 12:50 PM
For all of you who have been flying American flags from your Spyders, I am sure there comes a time when it is tattered and worn. That time has come for the flag on my Spyder. I was given this flag by the widow of a very good friend of mine who passed away. It flew for many miles on his bike and she let me have it to continue to fly. I have flown it for 3 years on my old Honda Goldwing trike and now four years on the Spyder. How do you dispose of your American Flags from your Spyders when the become too worn to respectfully fly any more?

Wmoater
09-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Find a boyscout troop. They usually do 2 burns a year depending on the town and location. The local Moose and Ushers called me around Memorial Day and around October. I was a scout and troop master till both my boys graduated and earned eagle. They’d supply all the town and surrounding areas old flags and they’d have the gun ceremony, they’d start the fire and then we’d take care of the rest.

rocinante54
09-14-2019, 01:11 PM
The American Legion will properly, and honorably, dispose of it for you. Find an American Legion hall in your area.

Wmoater
09-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Another good one rocinate54. I believe they did also supply flags for us. Any of the three for sure will take them.

h0gr1der
09-14-2019, 01:22 PM
U.S. Code Title 4. FLAG AND SEAL, SEAT OF GOVERNMENT, AND THE STATES Chapter 1. THE FLAG Section 8. Respect for flag

(k)The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

As long as it is done respectfully and in a dignified manner, anyone can properly dispose of a tattered US flag.

Gwolf
09-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Call your local American Legion Post or VFW. If they cannot do it, they will know who can. The local American Legion Post here sponsors a Boy Scout Troop and the Boy Scouts have flag retirement events.

CopperSpyder
09-14-2019, 01:39 PM
All good info in the above post https://www.wikihow.com/Dispose-of-a-Damaged-American-Flag Best to give it to a group that will dispose of it properly.

JayBros
09-14-2019, 02:30 PM
A prominent flag retail store where I purchase the one for our home gladly takes the tattered ones and ensures they are respectfully burned.

pegasus1300
09-14-2019, 05:30 PM
Thank you all for your prompt and helpful Reponses. I didn't know about the flag store idea. I have Boy Scouts, VFW, and American Legion available to me.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-14-2019, 09:55 PM
I burned mine myself. Put it in an open container with some gasoline to make sure it burned completely.