PDA

View Full Version : Rattling Exhaust

solidgranite
09-12-2019, 01:55 PM
My 2012 RT has an exhaust issue. Whenever I back off the throttle or slow down for a light, etc., the exhaust makes a rattling noise (only happens when slowing down, backing off the throttle, never when speeding up or cruising). It not a "something is loose" kind of noise, but comes from inside the main exhaust unit. Bad baffles, maybe? I'm thinking about removing the outer cover to see if its anything obvious. It has no impact on the bike's operation or anything, but it sounds lousy...almost tinny. Any ideas on what may be the cause? I don't have the $$$ to bring it to the dealer because they'll probably tell me to replace the whole exhaust system, and since the only issue is the rattling sound, I'm not going to replace the entire thing.

JayBros
09-12-2019, 02:54 PM
I'm leaning out of my foxhole a bit on this one because I don't know much about the '12 RTs, but have read here on SL about the gaskets between the headers and the cat and the cat and the muffler wearing or not being properly positioned when the pipes are reassembled. With your description of "tinny" and a rattling sound that I would guess might be metal to metal where pipes meet I'd suggest worn gasket(s).

solidgranite
09-18-2019, 11:22 AM
I'm leaning out of my foxhole a bit on this one because I don't know much about the '12 RTs, but have read here on SL about the gaskets between the headers and the cat and the cat and the muffler wearing or not being properly positioned when the pipes are reassembled. With your description of "tinny" and a rattling sound that I would guess might be metal to metal where pipes meet I'd suggest worn gasket(s).

Thanks! I'll try to take a look. I don't have a "lift" so getting access to the exhaust (or any connections to it) is a real challenge. If I can get access, and it turns out to be a bad gasket, that should be easy to replace. Again, thanks for the suggestion!

timeless
09-18-2019, 01:25 PM
My 2012 RT has an exhaust issue. Whenever I back off the throttle or slow down for a light, etc., the exhaust makes a rattling noise (only happens when slowing down, backing off the throttle, never when speeding up or cruising). It not a "something is loose" kind of noise, but comes from inside the main exhaust unit. Bad baffles, maybe? I'm thinking about removing the outer cover to see if its anything obvious. It has no impact on the bike's operation or anything, but it sounds lousy...almost tinny. Any ideas on what may be the cause? I don't have the $$$ to bring it to the dealer because they'll probably tell me to replace the whole exhaust system, and since the only issue is the rattling sound, I'm not going to replace the entire thing.

My 2010 RT did the same thing after the first year. When I remover the muffler and shook it there was a baffel that had come loose causing my rattle. I bought a take off from someone here on SL, replaced the doughnut gaskets and muffler at that time. All has been well ever since!!!!!!!!

safecracker
09-18-2019, 07:37 PM
My 2011 did the same thing for years. I thought it was a broken baffel. It does not do it any more. It did rattle for 3 years. Bruce

KX5062
09-23-2019, 10:17 AM
First thing that came to mind was the "Y" pipe gasket. The second thing is a loose baffle inside the muffler, which is not uncommon at all. Most mufflers are stainless steel, which requires more care to weld than regular steel, so a small weld can break loose after many heat cycles.

Wahrsuul
09-24-2019, 05:56 AM
HM, I started my '14 the other day - before I'd put in my ear plugs - and thought I heard something like that. I felt the heat shield and end cap and nothing is loose, so maybe I need to check the gaskets and connections. When doing my first oil change/maintenance on the tryke, I found out the PO had replaced the cat with one of those replacement pipes and done wrapping on the exhaust under there so maybe something has worked its way loose.

wolffspyder
08-18-2022, 10:11 AM
Is the collar between the cat and the muffler tight?
I have mine as tight as it will go and it still swivels. :-(

Peter Aawen
08-19-2022, 02:35 AM
:oldpost: Not the oldest of posts or threads, but still, it was back in 2019 the last post in the thread before yours went in.... So it's probably a moot point for most of the previous posters by now! :rolleyes: