PDA

View Full Version : Our first long distance ride

C. Lee
09-11-2019, 08:21 PM
We are heading out tomorrow morning for the first leg of a trip to the outer banks. We will be spending the night in Harpers Ferry, WV before we continue onto Kitty Hawk on Friday. I'm a little anxious but really excited too. Any advise for the seasoned distance riders? Chris

Freddy
09-11-2019, 08:45 PM
No advice C but it's such a pity that Spyder doesn't inspire you with confidence. Most folks seems to have uneventful rides and here's to hoping you do too. :cheers: Ride safe.

Saluda
09-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Enjoy !! :thumbup:

Bfromla
09-11-2019, 10:46 PM
Hydrate,& stretch often, hopefully your not on time constraints that will allow you to enjoy little more. Side trips are great distractions & sometimes more productive than the original destination (sometimes) still best to know what can still complete the trip & what you can take note of (GPS pindrop,name & address) & visit again later. Don't get too carried away
:lecturef_smilie:*!KNOW your limits, DONT push them*! Test endurance by itself otherwise might mess up trip horribly.:banghead:

SpyderAnn01
09-11-2019, 10:48 PM
Leave half of what you were planning on packing at home, you won’t need it. Drink lots of water, keep your head and eyes up and have fun.

Valkrocket
09-12-2019, 05:19 AM
Make sure you pack your rain gear. Rain and showers forecast for the weekend. Beautiful ride through there. There's a couple of ferries there that you usually have to make reservations for, but family vacations are over and they usually can squeeze bikes on board. I'll be just south of you in Morehead City. Enjoy your trip and bring your camera for some spectacular photo ops. :thumbup:

KosherKid
09-12-2019, 06:41 AM
Enjoy. We were there a few years ago. Check out Kitty Hawk and the Wright Brothers play area. If they interest you, check out the different lighthouses down the coast. Go to Duck and get some Duck doughnuts.

JayBros
09-12-2019, 06:45 AM
When you get to the Outer Banks you may experience some hurricane caused road damage.

Grandpot
09-12-2019, 07:09 AM
After you get down to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, hop on the ferry to Ocracoke Island. The lighthouse there is the oldest non-rotating lighthouse in the US.

There is also a cemetery there that is actually British soil. There was a British destroyer sunk off of Ocracoke in WWII and the bodies of the crew washed up on shore. The sailers where buried there and the cemetery was deeded to Britain.

Southpaw58
09-12-2019, 08:08 AM
As others have said, drink lots of water, rest often, and most important.....HAVE A GREAT TIME. I'll be over there the first week in October with the family and my Spyder. So looking forward to it!!

blacklightning
09-12-2019, 08:15 AM
When you get to the Outer Banks you may experience some hurricane caused road damage.
:agree: Yes, there is some road damage along hwy 12 from the hurricane. Not sure how far south you will be able to travel. Just be aware that you might have to take some inland road detours. And to be honest, most of those detours will be pretty long, as hwy 17 is the next main road that runs parallel to the coast. Have fun, and take lots of pictures.

Scotts8826
09-12-2019, 08:35 AM
I plan my daily schedule for long rides based on time, not distance. Typically I schedule 6 hours a day in the saddle. I leave at 8 am and travel an hour and a half. I ride a 2013 RT-S so about now I need a stretch and gas. Ride another hour and a half and now it's about lunch time. Another hour and a half, break and after my last riding segment it is close to 4 PM and I stop at my motel. Time for a quick clean up and then dinner. If I am feeling good and my destination dictates the extra time I can go another hour.

If I'm riding US Highways I travel around 360 miles, Interstates about 425. Long distance is a marathon not a sprint so don't exhaust yourself on the first day out. I rode to the Outer Banks from Kansas City a couple of years ago. I took time to ride the Tail of the Dragon, Cherahola Skyway and others on my way in. I go to Duck, NC every year for a family gathering (I'm originally from VA). I eat donuts once a year at Duck Donuts so besides the touristy stuff, I second the Duck Donuts recommendation!

Have your bike serviced before you go. There is not much you can fix on the side of the road so just make sure the tires are good, fluids are topped off and the bike is running as it should. Take a couple deep breaths and go! You don't create great life stories by sitting on the couch.

On Monday I am heading to Colorado for a week and then on down to Scottsdale, AZ. Pepping for temperatures below freezing to 100 degrees!

Kiry
09-12-2019, 09:06 AM
Take breaks, take sunscreen and apply it (even if only for the moisture to prevent wind burn), and drink water. Pack for layers.
Other than that, enjoy!!!

ARtraveler
09-12-2019, 09:37 AM
All great advice above. Enjoy the trip. :yes:

pegasus1300
09-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Take lots of pictures and post them here+ all the other great information you got.