PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT-S Blown Headlights

Santa Ken
09-08-2019, 03:57 PM
I am about to replace 2nd blown headlight on my 2014 RT-S in 36K miles. Its a major undertaking and wanted to avoid in the future. Last time I replaced both bulbs since I had all the plastic ware off. Is this normal wear? Are there headlights that last as long as car headlights? Is there an easier way than pulling off all the plastic?
Thanks,
Santa Ken,
San Clemente,
CA

Lew L
09-08-2019, 04:30 PM
Hi Ken,
Easier headlight changes:

1. Magic Mirrors
2. battery powered driver for the torx bit. long (10" long )extension,1/4 drive with 10mm socket to remove that bolt buried under the headlight.
3. you tube video for this job.
4. LED lights for longer bulb life.
Good luck, Lew L

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-08-2019, 04:53 PM
I am about to replace 2nd blown headlight on my 2014 RT-S in 36K miles. Its a major undertaking and wanted to avoid in the future. Last time I replaced both bulbs since I had all the plastic ware off. Is this normal wear? Are there headlights that last as long as car headlights? Is there an easier way than pulling off all the plastic?
Thanks,
Santa Ken,
San Clemente,
CA

I would re-place with LED's …… But if you love halogens get Motorcycle " specific " halogens, they are tougher than the ones for auto's ….. good luck .… Mike :ohyea:……………..PS check re-lay and or fuse ….. :thumbup:

JayBros
09-08-2019, 08:16 PM
Where did you buy your first replacement bulbs? If you bought them from a Can-Am dealer they come in a box and there is a chance that a greasy fingered, knuckle dragging parts guy may have touched them thereby significantly shortening the life of the bulb. In July I replaced my second set of halogen bulbs at 61K with LEDs and noticed one of the old halogen bulbs had a broken filament. Whether it was out and I didn't notice or it just gave up I have no idea. I'll bet that the vibrations Spyders feel on the road is worse than in a cage and that probably contributes to shortening the life. Do yourself a favor, switch to LEDs on both your headlights and fog lights. Brighter and longer life.

ARtraveler
09-09-2019, 10:07 AM
I also had the same issue with my 2014 RT. The right side burned out twice. I replaced them with tricled led's in about 2016...no problems since.

Highwayman2013
09-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Not sure about a major undertaking but these are lifetime warranty. https://www.canamspyderaccessories.com/rt-series-can-am-spyder-led-headlights-all-years/