PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the passenger seat switch

bcraig
09-05-2019, 07:24 AM
I have read posts from riders asking how to disconnect/disable the passenger seat switch because they wanted to carry luggage/cargo on the passenger seat. My understanding of the the switch is to let the ECU know there is additional weight behind the driver in order for control units to adjust accordingly.

Wouldn't you want this feature to operate regardless of whether the weight was a passenger or cargo?

I'm just trying to understand the logic of disabling it.

billybovine
09-05-2019, 07:44 AM
No reason to disconnect it.

PW2013STL
09-05-2019, 07:45 AM
The reason why I do is that I strap a 20# bag onto the back seat using ROC straps that I clinch down. The down force of the straps activates the sensor. That light and low bag doesn't pose any handling issue so there is no reason to have the Spyder detune my fun. If I ever have a passenger I can quickly remove the oil cap I am using to prevent the activation.

arachnyd
09-06-2019, 10:43 AM
The reason why I do is that I strap a 20# bag onto the back seat using ROC straps that I clinch down. The down force of the straps activates the sensor. That light and low bag doesn't pose any handling issue so there is no reason to have the Spyder detune my fun. If I ever have a passenger I can quickly remove the oil cap I am using to prevent the activation.

my thoughts exactly. my tent and sleeping bag combined are 6#. and the warning on page 94 got me thinking about this.

i would have done the oil cap fix but it was patented by PW2013STL so i cut a piece of PVC instead.

ba

PW2013STL
09-06-2019, 02:58 PM
my thoughts exactly. my tent and sleeping bag combined are 6#. and the warning on page 94 got me thinking about this.

i would have done the oil cap fix but it was patented by PW2013STL so i cut a piece of PVC instead.

ba

LOL:roflblack:

AY4B
09-06-2019, 10:51 PM
I would not unplug it. It would lead to an error and go into Lymp mode. Pop the cap off and put some pipe insolation or fender washers to prevent the button from getting pushed down. Mine no longer gives me problems. I never ride double anyway.

fireplug98
09-06-2019, 10:51 PM
HiYa Les !!

Text me a pic of your rear seat area with the oil cap please !!

Thanks,
Tommy

Barender
08-07-2021, 03:42 PM
Also would be interested in the oil cap or pvc override solution.
Thanks

RazzleH
08-07-2021, 07:16 PM
I have read posts from riders asking how to disconnect/disable the passenger seat switch because they wanted to carry luggage/cargo on the passenger seat. My understanding of the the switch is to let the ECU know there is additional weight behind the driver in order for control units to adjust accordingly.

Wouldn't you want this feature to operate regardless of whether the weight was a passenger or cargo?

I'm just trying to understand the logic of disabling it.
Me too bcraig. Somtimes I carry 10+ kg loads loads strapped down across the pax seat and have found that the automatic height adjustment works very well in favour of good handling. That's not as heavy as a full size pax but I'm not about to stop the switch from enabling that clever function.