PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound high for insurance

gkamer
09-03-2019, 01:11 PM
My wife and I are both 66. We have never had a ticket or an accident and have never filed a claim with our insurance company, MetLIfe. Her car is a 2001 Impala, my truck is a 2008 Silverado. We own them both outright. We have the standard coverage and are paying over $1,200 a year in insurance.

Does that sound high to anyone? Seems we should be getting a better deal then that. My policy renewal is telling me I'm getting discounts that have been applied to my premium, but does not tell me how much those discounts are. On top of that a notice in the renewal tells me my premium went up $24.00 this cycle. We pay 6 months at a shot.

trikermutha
09-03-2019, 02:10 PM
What's standard coverage considered in your area? Shop around it can't hurt.

You can always call and ask what discounts are being applied.

How much is your deductible?

I shopped around and they were almost all the same or some telling me to stay where I was at for the insurance company.

spyderider1
09-03-2019, 02:19 PM
So many factors determine these rates like location, credit ratings, traffic violations, etc. Our vehicles are a 2011 and a 2017 and our annual is far less than what you are paying. But, we live in a small town with low crime and have clean driving records.

We left the last company because of constant increases in premiums despite never filing a claim. The agency was indifferent to our concerns, the agent was never in the office, rates continued to go up so we moved everything to another company and agency.

JoshHefnerX
09-03-2019, 03:09 PM
So that's $50/mo per vehicle for full coverage? Doesn't sound all that terrible, what's your deductible?

Chupaca
09-03-2019, 03:41 PM
As reference for my wife and I for both the 2006 Mini and the 2011 VW sportswagen pay $1036.00 a year adding the spyder it is /$1370.00 a year. I do have the earthquake ins and the home ins with them as well and this is CA....:gaah:

canamjhb
09-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Insurance cost starts with where you live. Your geographical area has many factors that affect insurance cost that are beyond your control or personal history. Things like crime rate, auto theft statistics, percentage of uninsured drivers, accident statistics for the area, etc. All things being equal as far as vehicle and personal history are concerned, your rates will vary depending upon where you live. Just no way to compare YOU with others. As you can see, you're paying to protect yourself from all the bad guys on the road. The more bad guys there are in your area, the more you pay for protection. The only thing you can do is "shop" your rate. If you deal with a multi-line broker, make sure they shop different companies. Or, shop your rates yourself. PITA but may save you hundreds. Just make sure you are comparing the same coverage with each company. Bottom line, no way to compare your cost with mine or anyone elses. Good luck.....Jim

TONYO
09-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Im 60 ish.....I pay 300 a YEAR for my ST And a Chevy S10. This is for the minimum coverage. N.C.

jaherbst
09-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Im 60 ish.....I pay 300 a YEAR for my ST And a Chevy S10. This is for the minimum coverage. N.C.

Minimum coverage would be "Liability Only". Are you sure you want it that way?

Jack

Don'tPanic
09-03-2019, 07:24 PM
like many have said insurance premiums vary by state/location/area/age/driving records.

Here's my 2 cents (based on having a family member in the insurance industry)
1. Never ever EVER (!!!) sign up for one of those devices you plug into your OBDII port that reports your activity to the mothership via their app (you know, the "don't mess with my discounts" commercial). Braking hard once or even driving after 10pm will result in your premiums skyrocketing.
2. Insurance companies WILL raise your premiums every 6 or 12 months, so the longer you stay with your insurance co the more you will pay. It makes sense to switch your insurance Co every couple of years - hence "switch to [insert any insurance company name here] and you will save 15% or more"

Good luck!

gkamer
09-03-2019, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all your input. I did a little research and am looking at either USAA or Allstate right now. Both look like they will save me close to $500 a year with the same or slightly better coverage then I have with Metlife. I'm learning more towards Allstate since I will be dealing with an actual local agent instead of an email address over the internet. I like being able to talk with an actual person.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-04-2019, 02:02 AM
So that's $50/mo per vehicle for full coverage? Doesn't sound all that terrible, what's your deductible?

No it isn't so " terrible " …...however I'm now paying $17.91 per month for full coverage ( a 12 mo. policy ) on my 2014 RT. I'm with Dairyland now ( they only do Mtc's )……. Mike :ohyea:

Mikey
09-04-2019, 07:02 AM
It is said that every two years you should put your insurance company on notice and ask for revaluation and price shop them out! It's to bad that you have to go threw all that crap but that's the games you have to play!! Being loyal to one company gets you no where but broke!!! Good Luck it sucks but you have to do it.

TONYO
09-04-2019, 07:47 AM
Yea Jack.I am very happy with my policy. TY

WisconsinDavid
09-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Good to look at the reputation of the company in your state/area, too. Some are more prone to skyrocket cost (or drop you) if you have an incident(s)... even after years with them. I do shop insurance about every 3 years... just to check the temp of the insurance pool. Quotes are free and just take a bit of time online or with an agent. I have had Progressive for my bikes for over 10 years because of the good service and rate I have found there. $244 for a full year (2010 RS) here in WI with 0 deductible and 500,100,300 limits. Also, the premium includes trip interruption and towing. My autos are with them currently... but have moved through a series of 3,4 insurers in recent memory. My record is clean, except for a cut off accident on an Ultra Harley in Deadwood over a year ago. My credit rating is stellar... that helps too with setting of rates... as does being married and an older fella at 61 ...got the wilds out of me... well mostly (there's still a teenage boy in there sometimes)!

Bob204bc
09-04-2019, 09:33 AM
Minimum coverage would be "Liability Only". Are you sure you want it that way?

Jack

That minimum Liability coverage would not even begin to cover costs in even a minor collision with any injury. The question to ask is: Do you have assets you want to protect?

Big F
09-04-2019, 12:02 PM
You have fuzzy math. they are paying $100 a month, not $50
BIG F

Big F
09-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Your premium is off the charts!! I have a 2018 RT Limited with full coverage and $500 deductible and pay $372.00 annually. My carrier is Wadena Ins. Co..
BIG F

azprince
09-04-2019, 12:13 PM
I have Allstate and I pay about $380 a year. I have my autos with Liberty.

d.o.spyder-rts
09-04-2019, 04:21 PM
If you are eligible for USAA, I would consider them. I've been with USAA since 1981; while it may not be the cheapest insurance around they are still a good company to deal with. I've never had any issues with them. Since your vehicles are 18 and 11 years old, you may want to consider liability insurance only. Dale

Bikes111
09-04-2019, 05:25 PM
I have Allstate and love having a local agent to call or visit.
Still waiting for my spyder so can’t help with price.

Sarge707
09-04-2019, 08:21 PM
I went from Dairyland to Progressive a couple months ago on my 2 Can Ams and saved almost 50% with better coverage? Dairyland starts raising rates after a year or so? Check out progressive-

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-04-2019, 08:32 PM
I went from Dairyland to Progressive a couple months ago on my 2 Can Ams and saved almost 50% with better coverage? Dairyland starts raising rates after a year or so? Check out progressive-

Interesting - over 4 years, they have stayed the same or lowered it !!!!! ………… go figure ….. Mike :ohyea:

stmike 1800
09-05-2019, 04:53 AM
I pay 1300 full coverage ,it sure is great to live in Canada .:cus:

SpyderSkeets
09-05-2019, 05:36 AM
$1200/yr for FULL coverage would indeed not be that terrible. However, it's s an 18 and an 11 year old car. I assume it isnt full coverage (I wouldn't have comp and collision on cars that old unless I had to for some reason) I pay about $1200/or for two 2017 vehicles with full coverage and a $500 deductible for comp and collision, plus another $400 year for my 2019 Spyder with full coverage and $500 deductibles.

ARtraveler
09-05-2019, 10:15 AM
I recently moved from AK to AR. My carrier is still State Farm. I am 73 years old.

All my vehicles carry FULL coverage--regardless of age. I also insure my home with State Farm.

My monthly fees are:

2017 Subaru Outback 53.00
2015 Kawasaki 900 Vulcan 39.00
2014 Can AM Spyder RT 43.00
2011 Can AM Spyder RT 36.00

Fees are slightly LOWER than what I paid in AK. I am currently paying $171 per month for the package. I paid $203 in AK.

Gwolf
09-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Insurance is crazy. I had full coverage on my 2001 Harley Sportster and no claims for 18 years. When I bought the new Spyder I was going to transfer the insurance from the Harley to the F3-S. Went to the agent and he ran all the numbers. It would have cost an additional $200 just for the remaining quarter and almost double the premiums after that. But if I dropped the Harley insurance and just bought a new policy for the Spyder, the full coverage was only about $100 more annual than I was paying for the full coverage insurance on a 20 year old Harley. It was crazy. I did not understand why and the agent could not explain it. I did drop the insurance of the Harley and got a brand new policy for the Spyder. The cost is just what he said it was going to be.