PDA

View Full Version : Dealer service BS

hrdware101
08-29-2019, 02:15 PM
So I brought in my 2018 F3 Limited for its first service. At the time, I mentioned to the service writer that my right mirror is partially dislodged, and that my handlebars shake at practically all speeds as if one or both front tires are unbalanced.
Today I went to pick my Spyder up and was told that the handlebars were shaking because of low air pressure in the tires (???). That's strange, since I use the recommended pressure from the manual. He said they increased the pressure and now the shimmy is gone. Hmmm. Never knew that low pressure in a tire can cause vibration.
Then, he said "we fixed your mirror for free". I told him that I sure hope so, since the bike is still under warranty (I have it for almost one year). His answer was that "loose mirrors are not covered by the warranty". If the mirror broke, or fell off, then "maybe", but not for loosening up. "They don't really cover small items like that. That's why it's called Limited Warranty"
I just gaped at him. How can they say such stupid things?
And by the way, on the way home I noticed that my handlebars are still shaking.
$268 for a freaking oil change, and then being fed a load of BS!
I'm done with them. I need to bring it somewhere to have the front wheels balanced.

ARtraveler
08-29-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Oil change....you got a bit of a deal on that. Mine in AK were always $300-$350.

The BS is par for the course at a lot of dealers these days.

canamjhb
08-29-2019, 04:15 PM
:agree::agree::agree: Not a bad price for oil change. But...... blah, blah, blah (I don't know what I'm talking about) blah, blah, blah (I have no idea how to fix it) blah, blah, blah (please believe me) blah, blah, blah..... (Go away) Seen this way too many times..... Jim

BajaRon
08-29-2019, 04:35 PM
If you are running stock Kenda's. It may be an out-of-round issue, not necessarily a balance issue. The symptoms are the same. Ride your Spyder for several miles to warm them up and get the flat spot out of them. Then jack the front end up as soon as you get back and spin the front tires. Set a can of WD-40 with the flex nozzle (if you have one) or something similar that you can put right up near the tread portion of the tire. This will give you a good reference point from which to gauge how round your tires are.

If they are too much out-of-round it will be difficult, if not impossible, to get them balanced.

Unfortunately, Kendas are a very low quality tire. Some are round. Some are not.

JeffandLori
08-29-2019, 04:45 PM
I just picked mine up yesterday from the dealer for its 3,000 mile service.
Oil, filter. 2 page checklist of things and an update to the dps. Already had 20.8.
$422.00 I will be changing my own oil from now on but wanted the service done. Service isn't free if that's what you were thinking under warranty.

Peter Aawen
08-29-2019, 06:10 PM

Unfortunately, Kendas are a very low quality tire. Some are round. Many are not.

Fixed it for you Ron. :thumbup:

askitee
08-29-2019, 08:05 PM
Given the "expertise" of the dealership shown here, would it be worthwhile checking the wheel alignment too?

SpyderAnn01
08-29-2019, 08:11 PM
When your mirrors start shaking again you need to order our Mirror Wedgies, the best $25 you can Spend.

JP58
08-29-2019, 10:02 PM
+1 on the mirror wedgie. No more shake. The dealer can't fix the shaking mirrors.

Revalden
08-29-2019, 10:08 PM
Given the "expertise" of the dealership shown here, would it be worthwhile checking the wheel alignment too?

We have an awesome dealership here in Tulsa, but maybe too far away for most of ya'll.

BoilerAnimal
08-30-2019, 12:33 AM
As originally posted by BajaRon;

Unfortunately, Kendas are a very low quality tire. Some are round. Some are not.

As fixed by Peter Aawen;

Unfortunately, Kendas are a very low quality tire. Some are round. Many are not.

Unfortunately, Kendas are a very low quality tire. Some are round. Most are not.

To be more accurate, I fixed it for you Peter.:roflblack::ohyea:

Wahrsuul
08-30-2019, 05:55 AM
Do the "Mirror Wedgies" work on RTs?

I've been lucky so far - my RTS came with Kendas on the front, and they seem to track straight with minimal shaking. The rear is a Kumho Ecsta. It's nearing the wear bars so it'll need to be replaced soon.

PMK
08-30-2019, 06:58 AM
If you care to, there should still be the FB group that rates and discusses Spyder Dealers, and allows you to post about your experience whether good or bad.

BajaRon
08-30-2019, 08:28 AM
As originally posted by BajaRon;

As fixed by Peter Aawen;

Unfortunately, Kendas are a very low quality tire. Some are round. Most are not.

To be more accurate, I fixed it for you Peter.:roflblack::ohyea:

I was just trying to be NICE! But I must say, you guys are definitely more ACCURATE!

SpyderAnn01
08-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Do the "Mirror Wedgies" work on RTs?

I've been lucky so far - my RTS came with Kendas on the front, and they seem to track straight with minimal shaking. The rear is a Kumho Ecsta. It's nearing the wear bars so it'll need to be replaced soon.

The Mirror Wedgies are only for the F3T and F3Ltd. If you have issues with your RT mirrors you would want Magic Mirrors from Lamonster Garage.

ARtraveler
08-30-2019, 09:54 AM
A bit off topic...

So you guys are saying that for 150,000 miles, that thump, thump, thump from my five Spyders has been due to my out of round Kenda OEM tires???? :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

Glad I got all but two of the tires changed out at Lamonster Garage a couple thousand miles ago. :yes:

And now...back to the program.

canamjhb
08-30-2019, 12:59 PM
A bit off topic...

So you guys are saying that for 150,000 miles, that thump, thump, thump from my five Spyders has been due to my out of round Kenda OEM tires???? :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

Glad I got all but two of the tires changed out at Lamonster Garage a couple thousand miles ago. :yes:

And now...back to the program.

Bumpy roads can mask a lot of tire and suspension problems. :shocked: Did they ever pave any of them roads in Alaska.....? :roflblack:..... Jim

Haikanko
08-30-2019, 01:05 PM
I find most OEM garages ( not just CAN AM) are crap - once had a MINI R50 where the BMW dealer set the front alignment - it was so dangerous afterwards that it almost swapped ends touching a white line on the motorway in the rain!!!! I checked the setting myself and it was out by over 2 degs

F650624
08-30-2019, 03:03 PM
Alaska Highway 5

Peter Aawen
08-30-2019, 08:52 PM
Alaska Highway 5

What a Bewdy!

That road looks like many typical 'non-East Coast' Australian Highways without all the ruts, gibbers, whoop-de-do's, & the frequent 200 yard long bulldust 'tank traps'... only your scenery probably has a tad more variety going for it! :thumbup:

I expect the ambient temps might be a little different too.... and we don't get too many of those 'frost heave' thingies in our roads. And while we do have a few dodgy dealers, we do have some really good dealers too! ;)