PDA

View Full Version : Why my Spyder was blowing fuses

mcguire1511
07-13-2009, 10:32 PM
The other day while riding my :spyder:It just up and died. I got it home,and found out that the #1 10A fuse was blown. replaced it and everything worked fine, until riding , it happened again, same fuse. I remember someone saying to make sure that your relays are seated properly. That person said his were working loose from vibrations and he put a small piece of foam in the fuse cover to insure they stay seated. Will guess what? three of the four of my relays were not seated right,and after following my fellow :spyder:riders advise, no more blow fuses. It's really nice when folks share what problems they have had, and how they have fixed them, which helps others out....Thanks.

barkingspyder
07-13-2009, 10:40 PM
thx, good to know.

BumbleBee
07-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Foam. What a simple solution. Getting some foam and going to do the same. Thanks for sharing that with us :spyder:

Questions
07-17-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm Having the same problem, seems to happen when I turn off the Spyder then try to turn on again, blows the 10A Fuse & the vss light comes on, I'm on the 4th fuse.

Will try to re seat the relays.

wyliec
07-18-2009, 06:25 AM
The other day while riding my :spyder:It just up and died. I got it home,and found out that the #1 10A fuse was blown. replaced it and everything worked fine, until riding , it happened again, same fuse. I remember someone saying to make sure that your relays are seated properly. That person said his were working loose from vibrations and he put a small piece of foam in the fuse cover to insure they stay seated. Will guess what? four of the five of my relays were not seated right,and after following my fellow :spyder:riders advise, no more blow fuses. It's really nice when folks share what problems they have had, and how they have fixed them, which helps others out....Thanks.

Am I missing something? I doubled checked and all I have are 4 relays; 3 are the same and 1 is different. I have a 2008 SM5.

mcguire1511
07-19-2009, 12:03 PM
I edited my first thread...Thanks
Am I missing something? I doubled checked and all I have are 4 relays; 3 are the same and 1 is different. I have a 2008 SM5.

mcguire1511
07-19-2009, 12:10 PM
You might try to pull them all out and swtich them around, also I picked up a couple spares at O'Rilies Auot parts store..Ask for the store brand $8.00 1 year warranty. the three year warranty one is $18.00, and all that means is that if you return them you get and even exchange..no cash!! still best the have spares. I used a plastic tie around the fuse box to ensure tight fit.
I'm Having the same problem, seems to happen when I turn off the Spyder then try to turn on again, blows the 10A Fuse & the vss light comes on, I'm on the 4th fuse.

Will try to re seat the relays.

bone crusher
07-19-2009, 12:45 PM

2008 has 1 large and 3 small...
2009 they're all the same...

We're still not sure if it matters if the large gray one is replaced with one of the smaller ones...other threads discuss this...