PDA

View Full Version : new spyder rider. first ride today

rugercharger
08-23-2019, 08:22 PM
i just purchased a new to me 2010 rt. just sold my victory cross country that my wife and i had for 7 years. i have been looking for a bike that i would feel more confident with my wife as a rider at this stage in our lives. so i settled on a can am spyder. ran across a good deal 9000. with 6000 miles on it. i saw that the right side front tire was worn on the inside edge. so i put together a laser alignment system and using the box method, removed the evap canister, and took the crankcase vent out of the airbox that had oil in it. purchased a buds system and made sure the steering angle sensor was centered. well, took the spyder for a test ride today. it took about 50 to 75 miles to get accustomed to this 3 wheeler. took it slow at first, then gradually picked up speed. ran some not so even country roads that were pretty rough, took some curves on assorted pavement, and then some smooth roads. took a break, then ran another 75 miles. my confidence in the can am improved quite a bit. getting used to the flex and wobble of the chassis on bumpy uneven roads. i started realizing that this can am can really hug the corners with some driving technique. i have no complaints with this v twin. good sound and good usable power. i applied some heavy braking from about 60 miles per hour, this braking system really works. as far as my alignment, the can am tracks really well regardless of the crown of the roads very stable. one thing i can say after the couple hundred miles, considering that this was the first rt model from way back, even as old as it is, brp did their homework and developed a very good bike. i kept one of my bikes, a triumph speedmaster, because i felt i would just take the can am out when the wife wanted to ride, i just may be taking this 3 wheeler out more often than i thought.

DGoebel
08-23-2019, 10:06 PM
Sounds like you've really done your homework as well. Welcome and Congratulations.

Web Runner
08-23-2019, 10:15 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Chupaca
08-23-2019, 10:46 PM
Nice review..:clap: looks like you tweaked the rich points and are well on your way to the miles of smiles. And with a few more tweaks you'll be hugging a lot better and a bit faster..:thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-24-2019, 10:16 AM
:welcome: and :congrats:

Haikanko
08-24-2019, 11:25 AM
Welcome to the world of three wheels - You will soon find (like I did after 50 years on two wheels) why didn't I do it sooner

rugercharger
08-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Nice review..:clap: looks like you tweaked the rich points and are well on your way to the miles of smiles. And with a few more tweaks you'll be hugging a lot better and a bit faster..:thumbup:

chupaca, funny you would mention the hugging a bit faster with a few more tweaks, i was out today, getting off a freeway ramp at normal speed and it felt like the spyder was sliding. i also felt this when on a smooth road going around a 45 mph curve at 50 the spyder felt like it was not "hugging" the curve. i know the tires are not in the greatest shape, the rear is down to the wear bars, a kenda by the way. can this spyder be made to take curves with more stability?

Deanna777
08-25-2019, 05:09 PM
:welcome: & :congrats:

We are here to answer questions.

Let the smiles,and miles begin!

Deanna

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-25-2019, 08:32 PM
chupaca, funny you would mention the hugging a bit faster with a few more tweaks, i was out today, getting off a freeway ramp at normal speed and it felt like the spyder was sliding. i also felt this when on a smooth road going around a 45 mph curve at 50 the spyder felt like it was not "hugging" the curve. i know the tires are not in the greatest shape, the rear is down to the wear bars, a kenda by the way. can this spyder be made to take curves with more stability?

" VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 " at 16psi front and 17- 18 rear ……. also great on wet roads …… Mike :ohyea:

rugercharger
08-25-2019, 09:00 PM
" VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 " at 16psi front and 17- 18 rear ……. also great on wet roads …… Mike :ohyea:

hi blueknight911 the only 15 for the rear that i see vredestein quatrac 5 on tire rack is a 205 50 and a 205 65. which are you recommending for the rear?

wmh9680
08-25-2019, 11:13 PM
Welcome and now be ready to enjoy