PDA

View Full Version : power shift

ssmcclub
08-22-2019, 04:36 PM
When I paddle shift from first to second on full throttle at 7000 rpm I get a hesitation, but not in 3,4,5,6 which is quick and smooth don't know if there is a adjustment for it has anyone have the same problem it is on 2019 f3s special series model se6 semi auto

Peter Aawen
08-22-2019, 05:13 PM
That 1st to 2nd hesitation is not an uncommon thing for Spyders, regardless of the motor they're running - maybe it's something BRP did as part of the de-tuning they've done to the engines?! :dontknow:

Regardless, that hesitation is one of the reasons I got my V-twin 2013 RT's ECU upgraded/enhanced, and others who've got 1330 motors (like yours) have found the same thing & the same solution! An ECU Upgrade might not be something you want to jump into immediately on a brand new machine, but if that hesitation becomes too annoying, you now know there is a solution, and a relatively easy one, albeit not quite what you'd call 'cheap'! But it can really make your Spyder lose that hesitation and get up & boogie from the word GO!! I reckon it's really made mine the Spyder I wanted & thought I was buying from the outset - and it's definitely one of the best mods I've done! :ohyea: :yes: :clap: :2thumbs:

Navydad
08-22-2019, 08:54 PM
Between first and second is where neutral is located and I believe this has something to do with the hesitation.

Revalden
08-22-2019, 10:56 PM
When I shift from first to second on full throttle at 7000 rpm I get a hesitation, but not in 3,4,5,6 which is quick and smooth don't know if there is a adjustment for it has anyone have the same problem it is on 2019 f3s special series model

Why would you want to that "Power Shift" at 7000 rpm in first freekin' gear? If you treat your Spyder like that don't tell whomever buys it from you

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-23-2019, 01:46 AM
That 1st to 2nd hesitation is not an uncommon thing for Spyders, regardless of the motor they're running - maybe it's something BRP did as part of the de-tuning they've done to the engines?! :dontknow:

Regardless, that hesitation is one of the reasons I got my V-twin 2013 RT's ECU upgraded/enhanced, and others who've got 1330 motors (like yours) have found the same thing & the same solution! An ECU Upgrade might not be something you want to jump into immediately on a brand new machine, but if that hesitation becomes too annoying, you now know there is a solution, and a relatively easy one, albeit not quite what you'd call 'cheap'! But it can really make your Spyder lose that hesitation and get up & boogie from the word GO!! I reckon it's really made mine the Spyder I wanted & thought I was buying from the outset - and it's definitely one of the best mods I've done! :ohyea: :yes: :clap: :2thumbs:

Peter I beg to differ on the " not quite cheap " reference …… back in the day ( way back :roflblack:) guys would spend multiple thousands of dollars on power increasers and not get near what they can do with our ECU for the money spent….. biggest bang for the buck I think I've ever seen ….. but, jmho …… Mike :ohyea:

ssmcclub
08-23-2019, 04:53 AM
ok thank you peter on a solution to fix the problem, only tried shifting from first to second full throttle a couple of times at 4, 5, 6, 7, thousand rpm all times would hesitate.

Valkrocket
08-23-2019, 04:55 AM
Between first and second is where neutral is located and I believe this has something to do with the hesitation.

Hummmmm, my 18 RTL has neutral between reverse and 1st. Can't get there from 2nd.
Different tranny's on different models?

Navydad
08-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Hummmmm, my 18 RTL has neutral between reverse and 1st. Can't get there from 2nd.
Different tranny's on different models?

Shift pattern internally for the transmission is R-1-N-2-3-4-5. Neutral between first and second same as most motorcycles.

AY4B
08-23-2019, 01:16 PM
Shift pattern internally for the transmission is R-1-N-2-3-4-5. Neutral between first and second same as most motorcycles.

On mine I take it to first and downshift into neutral. Downshift with the R button for reverse.

AY4B
08-23-2019, 01:20 PM
The big thing that is seldom discussed on the ECU upgrade is the improvement in shifting. There IS a big difference.
Back in the day we called a power shift what we do to pass. It is not a up shift, it is a down shift and go.

Wildrice
08-23-2019, 03:01 PM
When I shift from first to second on full throttle at 7000 rpm I get a hesitation, but not in 3,4,5,6 which is quick and smooth don't know if there is a adjustment for it has anyone have the same problem it is on 2019 f3s special series model

I made a similar post approx 1-2 yrs ago on a 2015 F3's. I don't know why considering all the posts describing the transmission shift patterns-------But on my Stage 2 upgrade of the ECU---the problem is gone & the transmission wasn't touched.
Thus for some reason the 1st to 2nd gear hesitation that I had with a stock ECU has been eliminated by the stage 2 ECU upgrade. Obviously the arrangement of the gears in the transmission had nothing to do with the delay.. It was in the ECU or ECM --whichever you prefer to name it that caused the problem.

As to the previous comment --Why would anyone want to power shift--It would be an impossible task for me to explain the logic needed for a Power Shift that has been in existence for over 50 years. I kinda miss that 4 on the floor gear shifter & even the 3 on the column on my 1953 Ford.

I will go one step more to explain the motorcycles with add-on thumb shifting powered by a air cylinder & solenoid. Flashing the ECU on the 2 wheel motorcycles gave an option to set the "Kill-delay"--wire's going directly to & grounding out the cylinder coils. Mine was set at 50 millisec at 120lbs air pressure--some had theirs set at 45 millisec-with higher air pressure 130-140 psi to the gear lever solenoid. 45 milli sec was close to a sheering gears problem.

Eckhard
08-23-2019, 05:37 PM
Obviously the arrangement of the planetary gears arrangement in the transmission had nothing to do with the delay. I checked in the parts fiche and there are no planetary gears sets in the 2015 SE trannies.

Snowbelt Spyder
08-23-2019, 06:54 PM

The gearboxes of the SE5 and SM5 transmissions may be the same, but the shift drums are different. Thus the shift sequence of the SE5 is different than the manual. R-N-1-2-3-4-5. I would suspect the same applies to the 6 speed transmission. The operator's manual for a 2015 RT even states that the sequence is different between the SE6 and the SM6. Based on the evidence here, it looks like the delay is more of an ECM / TCM issue than anything else, although in the SE5, it helps to keep the oil level in band.

ssmcclub
08-23-2019, 10:18 PM
I forgot to mention that my spyder is a semi auto model I said it was power shifting , what I should have said I paddle shifter in to second when it had the hesitation,

Wildrice
08-24-2019, 10:15 AM
I checked in the parts fiche and there are no planetary gears sets in the 2015 SE trannies.

I deleted the word planetary just for you--- :-) I was thinking Hayabusa--I had 3 of them. Still have the planetary gear assy downstairs.--duh---SE6 = semi auto trans.

Wildrice
08-24-2019, 01:39 PM
I forgot to mention that my spyder is a semi auto model I said it was power shifting , what I should have said I paddle shifter in to second when it had the hesitation,

Your were correct--throttle wide open & pressing the shift lever is "Power Shifting" The hesitation between 1st & 2nd gear is caused by the ECU/ECM "Kill Delay" settings. BRP long delay was on the side of being over cautious .

jcoats1
08-24-2019, 01:57 PM
it won't hurt it

bluewoo
08-24-2019, 04:18 PM
Why would you want to that "Power Shift" at 7000 rpm in first freekin' gear? If you treat your Spyder like that don't tell whomever buys it from you

Called fun - cant hurt the stock motor because it just closes the throttle before it revs to high(torque limiter logic).

I have a new f150 with the twin turbo 3.5 liter - put it in sport mode switch to AWD and floor it- even the wife loves it and said my 1988 mustang gt couldn't do that!!

I love the 115 hp from this triple and plan on testing it daily.:trike:

TerryTheSpyderRyder
08-24-2019, 06:17 PM
Let it rev up just a little then just before the 1-2 shift relax the throttle a tad. Works for me!

ssmcclub
08-24-2019, 10:01 PM
ok terry I WILL GIVE IT A TRY THANK YOU