PDA

View Full Version : GIVI Bags plus Bushtec Trailer Hitch

Twodog185
07-13-2009, 03:48 PM
I have the Bushtec trailer hitch. Is anybody making the mods necessary to move the brackets around a little to work with the bushtec hitch?

Does anybody have a scratched or dented GIVI bag frame I could work with to see if it'll work? Naturally, the frame will need to be cut and rewelded, and I'm not a reseller of anything Spyder. R&D costs are right out of my pocket.

Firefly
07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I have the Bushtec trailer hitch. Is anybody making the mods necessary to move the brackets around a little to work with the bushtec hitch?

Does anybody have a scratched or dented GIVI bag frame I could work with to see if it'll work? Naturally, the frame will need to be cut and rewelded, and I'm not a reseller of anything Spyder. R&D costs are right out of my pocket.

Which GIVI racks are you using? The IND7, the BRP, or the GIVI ?

Twodog185
07-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Actually, I had no preference. All the bags look good, the brackets just don't work together.

Firefly
07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Actually, I had no preference. All the bags look good, the brackets just don't work together.

I wanted to know which racks you tried to use with the Bushtec. There are 3 different Racks you can get to mount the Givi bags onto the Spyder; IND7, GIVI, and BRP.

The BRP rack system mounts quite differently to the Spyder than the IND7 unit.

BRPjunkie
07-13-2009, 09:27 PM
I wanted to know which racks you tried to use with the Bushtec. There are 3 different Racks you can get to mount the Givi bags onto the Spyder; IND7, GIVI, and BRP.

The BRP rack system mounts quite differently to the Spyder than the IND7 unit.

The Givi racks move the bags up higher than either the I7 or BRP racks. Don't know if that would create better clearance, but every little bit helps. Bad news is that Givi racks move turn signals to the rear fnder where they would probably be blocked by a trailer. :dontknow:

Twodog185
07-13-2009, 09:36 PM
None will work, I don't think.

The GIVI rack for the GIVI 35 bags appeared to require very little modification. I was able to take a real close look at the GIVI V35 set.

I haven't taken a close look at the other racks. The Industries 7 site shows the V35 GIVI bags for their link to bag and trunk sets.

The BRP bags look OK, but I've never seen what the mounting rack looks like.

Twodog185
07-13-2009, 09:44 PM
The Givi racks move the bags up higher than either the I7 or BRP racks. Don't know if that would create better clearance, but every little bit helps. Bad news is that Givi racks move turn signals to the rear fnder where they would probably be blocked by a trailer. :dontknow:

The rack will need to be extended out about 1" at the front to get around the mounting spot of the hitch. Therefore, the rear would also need an extension piece welded in and the turn signal would be an inch out farther on each side. My trailer has lights, so the turn signals become supplimental lighting when towing.

The real bad news is that I may have to spend $400 for a rack that won't work.

bjt
07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Have you tried contacting Bushtec? I read a few months back that they were looking for a Spyder with a Givi rack to see about making their hitch fit on that setup.

Firefly
07-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Bushtec told me they didn't know if it would work and that they don't guarantee it will work with other aftermarket products.

What I need to do is get a bike with a hitch on it next to my setup and take some measurements. The lighting shouldn't be a concern as your trailer should have lights on it anyway.

retread
07-13-2009, 11:00 PM
I remember a post about a HitchUSA hitch that works with the Ind7 Givi mounts, looking at getting one when I can afford it.

john

Firefly
07-13-2009, 11:04 PM
According to the HitchUSA website their hitch does NOT work with the GIVI bags.

Maybe the Corbin hitch???

Twodog185
07-14-2009, 05:18 AM
And, I already have the Bushtec trailer hitch installed. So, what I'm looking for is a mounting frame for side bags that I can modify to fit with the already installed Bushtec hitch.

Since I don't have a set of mounting frames, I'm not 100% sure it will work, hence the request for a scratched, dented, or bent set that somebody can't/won't use.

Also, since I don't have the bags, what is available is not an issue.

If you have a set of mounting frames, and those mounting frames are scratched, dented, or bent, and you're not going to use them, email me.

bjt
07-14-2009, 08:00 AM
According to the HitchUSA website their hitch does NOT work with the GIVI bags.

Maybe the Corbin hitch???

The Corbin hitch requires Corbin bags as it mounts to the bag brackets.

BRPjunkie
07-14-2009, 09:03 AM
The rack will need to be extended out about 1" at the front to get around the mounting spot of the hitch. Therefore, the rear would also need an extension piece welded in and the turn signal would be an inch out farther on each side. My trailer has lights, so the turn signals become supplimental lighting when towing.

The real bad news is that I may have to spend $400 for a rack that won't work.

The Givi racks are $198 with free shipping from Sport Tour, so if all else fails you won't have to spend $400 to experiment, just $200.

Twodog185
07-14-2009, 11:39 AM
The Givi racks are $198 with free shipping from Sport Tour, so if all else fails you won't have to spend $400 to experiment, just $200.

uh oh....NMN shows PLX999 ($369.00), Sport Tour and GIVI shows PLX770 ($198.00). We need to :chat: about it.

NancysToy
07-14-2009, 01:12 PM
uh oh....NMN shows PLX999 ($369.00), Sport Tour and GIVI shows PLX770 ($198.00). We need to :chat: about it.
Just a though, but you might be better off with the PL999 Industries7 racks and the straight side GIVI E46 bags. They don't push in as far on the bottom. More to think about...
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif