PDA

View Full Version : Car Tires on your Spyder and your insurance.

Eckhard
08-21-2019, 06:23 AM
A scenario.

Rider X has a Spyder with a car tire on it and is involved in an accident. What does his insurance company say to him if they have to pay out money???

Wahrsuul
08-21-2019, 06:35 AM
First they'd have to know he had a car tire on the tryke. Then they'd have to prove it was at fault for the accident. We went through the same things going Darkside on two wheelers. On the Spyder, it's harder to tell it's a car tire, as most people assume thats what you use on a tryke like this. Most have no idea there's a specific tire for it.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-21-2019, 06:42 AM
From what i know the car tire is not wrong or sub standard for the bike, i have vredstein front & kumho rear & i am a tire/wheel guy.

Peter Aawen
08-21-2019, 07:04 AM
All the rims on Spyders are J Type PASSENGER CAR rims, so at least here in Aust, it's illegal for any tire fitter to install a tire on one of those rims that ISN'T a Passenger Car tire!

I reckon we should all just Ride More, & Worry Less! :ohyea: :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
08-21-2019, 07:44 AM
This question comes up from time to time and I have never heard of an insurance company worried about what kind of tire is on a spyder. Do the insurance companies care what tire is on your car?

RapidSpyder
08-21-2019, 07:47 AM
...I reckon we should all just Ride More, & Worry Less! :ohyea: :thumbup:

Well, if I have too... I guess I’ll just go ride some more... :riding:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-21-2019, 08:48 AM
A scenario.

Rider X has a Spyder with a car tire on it and is involved in an accident. What does his insurance company say to him if they have to pay out money???

Are you aware that Harley Davidson delivers all their Trikes with Dunlop ……. CAR TIRES on them …. from the Factory ….. Spyders are …. Trikes …. so I'm not worried about the insurance company …… rest easy my friend …. Mike :ohyea:

Chupaca
08-21-2019, 09:36 AM
It would have to be proven that they were the cause of the incedent. Be it insurance or warranty and it could go to anything like oil, gas, filters, pads, plugs etc. Have not seen this happen during my years working dealerships and warranty claims....:thumbup:

BajaRon
08-21-2019, 09:43 AM
A scenario.

They'd say the same thing to him that they would say if he was running junk Kenda's.

chris56
08-21-2019, 09:55 AM
I think I would have a problem with my insurence if I really would use a motorcycle tire on a Spyder or on the Ryker ..
can someone show me where Kenda offers these socalled MC tires ??? cannot find it on their webside ( MC means MicroCar ?!?)

https://powersports.kendatire.com/en-eu/find-a-tire/

gkamer
08-21-2019, 12:02 PM
This question comes up from time to time and I have never heard of an insurance company worried about what kind of tire is on a spyder. Do the insurance companies care what tire is on your car?

They might if they found out it was a motorcycle tire.:roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-21-2019, 01:34 PM
I think I would have a problem with my insurence if I really would use a motorcycle tire on a Spyder or on the Ryker ..
can someone show me where Kenda offers these socalled MC tires ??? cannot find it on their webside ( MC means MicroCar ?!?)

BRP doesn't actually sell them …… it's the dealers who do …. annnnnnnnnnnnnd I know of Kenda tire dealers that can't get them because they are Not Can-Am dealers …. the tire contract is that air-tight :gaah: ...… Mike :ohyea:

IgoFar2
08-21-2019, 03:17 PM
A scenario.

Is the car tire DOT approved?

Mikey
08-21-2019, 04:23 PM
:bdh::bdh:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Is the car tire DOT approved?

Other than Racing tires … all Auto tires are DOT approved ( but not by BRP :lecturef_smilie: they only approve the Crapenda's ))…. Mike :ohyea:

WackyDan
08-21-2019, 10:23 PM

The Kendas made for the Spyders are specifically contracted by BRP... You won't find them on the Kenda Web Site. BRP has been partnered for years with Kenda as Kenda was supplying all the tires for their ATV's as well.

The only reason the Kendas are stamped motorcycle use only is because they are less plys across the face and softer sidewalls - They are labelled that way so they don't accidentally/purposely get put on a car where they are not rated for the weight.

askitee
08-22-2019, 02:24 AM
Do as I did and contact them. My insurer has no issue with it and provided me with confirmation

chris56
08-22-2019, 03:33 AM
before I changed my (rear) tire of my ryker 900 I asked Toyo if they "allow" to use their tire for this Modell - got the certificate (also for my Insurence) in two days (free of charge) - but maybe this is only for European roads, so maybe I should ask them before I visit America with my Ryky .. :dontknow:

Docster
08-22-2019, 12:43 PM

Yes, yes indeed...

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-20-2019, 02:20 AM

Actually I don't think you have a problem with your insurance company …… Why ? , you might ask ….. Because a real Mtc. tire on a Spyder " J " type rim, probably won't hold air, so you couldn't drive it anywhere …… just a thought …. good luck …. Mike :ohyea:

Cobwebs
12-20-2019, 03:23 AM
I think if an insurance company denied a claim for this scenario there would be more going on than the wrong tyres.You don't know how good a company is until you make a claim.Same goes for the claimant.

askitee
12-20-2019, 05:31 AM
A scenario.

My insurer was encouraged by the fact the car tyre was better constructed and higher rated than the Kenda.

BajaRon
12-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Realized I already posted pretty much the same comment.

Can't delete posts anymore...

Highwayman2013
12-20-2019, 10:30 AM
A scenario.

Nothing.

Sputter
12-20-2019, 08:28 PM
If an insurer can get out of paying a claim they WILL!! I have taken a insurance company to court before no attorney and won, not what I wanted but I won. Their attorney came and talked to me for 45 minutes after court and congratulated me. You have to ask yourself is it worth the time and cost? NO it isn't, but a good feeling! The proof is on YOU if they decline your claim, off to civil court you go! If the manual says no car tire then good luck!!

ARtraveler
12-21-2019, 10:18 AM

:agree: x 2. You took the words right out of my mouth. Motorcyclists have been using car tires for years (GoldWing for example). There are a lot of accidents and I do not recall tires ever being mentioned as part of a litigation or settlement.

I would call that scenario a "non-issue." I went to those kind of tires this summer, now that I found a source that would change them out for me. My new F3 will also get them when the time comes.

What if...does not enter the picture for me. :bowdown:

troop
12-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Yup, I agree with the non issue. Hell, H-D trikes come with automotive tires/wheels from the factory and Can-Am wheels have J bead rims. Non issue..

Eckhard
12-22-2019, 09:47 AM
But in the case of the Harley trike that is stock OEM supplied.

JKMSPYDER
12-22-2019, 10:06 AM
Well, if you are worried about it, then do not put car tires on your Spyder. I have care tires on mine and haven't given it a second thought. I don't worry about what my insurance carrier would say.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-22-2019, 11:37 AM
But in the case of the Harley trike that is stock OEM supplied.

:hun: .… That is like saying HD doesn't have to follow the law !!! …. I found and posted the info about what HD is doing, in response to other posts saying BRP has their tire policy based on the Law..... Well HD is using Dunlop tires on their Trikes ( from the factory ) … so is there ... REALLY ... a law about tires ???? …… based on HD - I think NOT ...... MIke :ohyea:

Mikey
12-22-2019, 01:47 PM

Peteoz
12-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Well, if you are worried about it, then do not put car tires on your Spyder. I have care tires on mine and haven't given it a second thought. I don't worry about what my insurance carrier would say.

I know what you are saying, JKM, but you also have to consider, not what your insurance carrier simply says, but what they would actually do.
If, for example, someone is in a single vehicle accident, and requires ongoing care for life, and some smart insurance company lawyer thinks they can get out of footing the bill because you have non BRP recommended tyres on your Spyder, they are bound to pursue that line with dogged determination. That, of course, is the worst case scenario, but you must consider it in your deliberations about moving to aftermarket tyres. I have indeed considered it, but in my mind, the chances of that occurring, and them winning, are just so low that I am prepared to take that risk. As you say above, if you are worried about it, don’t put aftermarket tyres on your Spyder......simple.... :thumbup:

Pete

askitee
12-22-2019, 07:07 PM
I concur with Sputter to a point. At one of my previous employers, the GM's P.A. had a prior job managing a team of Legal Secretaries for lawyers at an insurance company. Her advice to us was always "if an insurer can find the slightest reason to deny a claim they will. And remember they have deeper pockets than you or I if you intend taking them to court to challenge their decision."

I think push would come to shove if say a fatality occurred and you were deemed to be the driver at fault.

When I was considering the Nankangs I now run, I called my insurer to get their opinion, they were fine. My suggestion to those concerned is to call your insurer, have the chat. If they don't like the idea, find an insurer who does.