PDA

View Full Version : TPMS for the cost concious rider.

Eckhard
08-20-2019, 08:25 AM
Hi. I would like to have your recommendations for a TPMS, Tire Pressure Monitoring System for those who are concerned about the cost of riding.

Thanks in Adance.

Kredab
08-20-2019, 08:33 AM
I have the FOBO system, pick it up from Lamonster - love it

billybovine
08-20-2019, 08:58 AM
I know this is not exactly what you asked. But the most economical way would be not to buy one at all. Checking your tire pressures once a month is not that onerous a chore. IMHO

JayBros
08-20-2019, 12:41 PM
Once again, Billy beats me to the punch. I checked my Crapendas once a week and do the same with my Federals and Altmax. I have to add air less frequently with the car tires.

Chupaca
08-20-2019, 01:02 PM
Most understandable on semi's and transport vehicles. Many cars have them built in now to let you know when a tire is low. When they were introduced for the spyder there were issues and in the end many gave them up. I check tire pressure before any long ryde and it take a whole 3-5 min. Not saying you should not go that route but be prepared to be watching it as it all changes for temps altitude etc which you will waste time adjusting for as it will all change back down the road...jmo...:thumbup:

Eviltwin
08-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Amazon, solar charged, for cars but just leave one sensor off. Around 50 bucks. Have had for a while, works great. Nuff Said.

https://i.imgur.com/2tohxtS.jpg

robhowen
08-20-2019, 04:01 PM
If you have a Garmin GPS that supports the TPMS, then you can get the tire pressure monitors for a very reasonable price and have an integrated system with your GPS. I have this and I really like it. Very reliable.

Rob

askitee
08-22-2019, 02:42 AM
I bought a Sykik Trike setup which came with 3 sensors. Their phone app is crapp, so I use another vendors, as is their after sales support.

That being said they work well.

I looked at the Garmin ones but it was cheaper to just buy a new bike if the pressure was low :)

Al_lockup
04-20-2020, 01:38 PM
If you have a Garmin GPS that supports the TPMS, then you can get the tire pressure monitors for a very reasonable price and have an integrated system with your GPS. I have this and I really like it. Very reliable.

Rob

Did you change your valve stems to metal? I want to try the Garmin.. Thanks

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-20-2020, 02:34 PM
Once again, Billy beats me to the punch. I checked my Crapendas once a week and do the same with my Federals and Altmax. I have to add air less frequently with the car tires.

And :agree: with both Billy & Jay ..... the only reason I would get this system would be for TRAILER tires .... if one goes flat you arn't likely to find out until long after serious damage is done ...... imho ..... Mike :thumbup:

merlot
04-20-2020, 06:35 PM
i bought a set a while ago,similar to fobo i think, and decided to shelve it for various reasons

i am now looking to fit a manually operated vi-air pump for my rear bag,as bike only has schrader valve access and its a pita to check(so i dont)

but i needed a dash mount air pressure gauge...i wasnt happy with things i found on line, so started looking at the TPMS again

fitted to the rear bag only,it was the answer.................so flushed with success,i fitted the other 3 sensors to the tyres

the problem i have is its beyond me to programme.....i cant set the base press(used for the alarm)and i cant change the units to psi,its stuck in BAR...i think thats why i shelved it previously....im ok with BAR,but would prefer Psi....does someone have a 3yr old he/she could lend me for a few minutes to set this thing up?

after powering the display up,i climbed on the bike,only to have the alarm going off at my every movement
so what i now do is press the display into the socket,read the data(albeit in BAR)then pull the display back out a little,effectively switching the unit off(mine dosent switch off auto either)then go ride....i dont need to monitor pressures as i go along,just at the start of the ride is ok for me

i think its a great idea,but only because i can incorporate the air bag

the supplier i bought from($AUD62) is no longer listed but this is the unit:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/External-sensor-types-HARVEL-TS61-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-TPMS/113728583131?hash=item1a7ac075db:g:9g8AAOSwCKRcwZB w

https://i.imgur.com/dOsgB6ul.jpg?1

now i just need to fit the air pump and i can monitor my bag pressure:clap::clap:

russ

Revalden
04-20-2020, 06:53 PM
I'm using these from Amazon... CAREUD Motorcycle TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System Wireless Digital Tire Pressure Gauge Tire Leakage Alarming System Waterproof 2 External Sensors Seller Mehart Cheater Hijack, Read Their Feedback
Sold by: Powtary Direct
Haven't had them on for very long but they seem to work well so far.

Revalden
04-20-2020, 07:16 PM
I know this is not exactly what you asked. But the most economical way would be not to buy one at all. Checking your tire pressures once a month is not that onerous a chore. IMHO

Bending over or squatting down to check tire pressures can be quite hard for some of us old farts with bad knees and bad hearts. For me, squatting isn't too hard but getting back up is a bitch, and bending over with head below my waist then standing up again I almost pass out. While working on my Spyder, anything down low requires me to get down on my butt or back, then roll over onto my knees and get up slowly. IT IS AN ONEROUS CHORE for some of us.