PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't feel my fingers!!!

BumbleBee
07-13-2009, 06:51 AM
No laughing!!!
Never rode a bike before, and I bought my spyder 4 weeks ago. I am a very cautious female driver, and a mother of two. I am taking it very slowly!!! My husband rides his own bike behind me every time I go out and do longer rides. My"first" longest rides were on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday about 20 miles. Sunday 35 miles and drove up to 63 mph, felt good. What a adrenaline rush I had. I wear finger gloves. My fingers and thumb were so numb, I couldn't feel the buttons on my turn signal, how scarry is that? My legs were like jello when I got off my bike. My husband said, that was normal, and with time that it will get better. A few hours later (after my rush calmed), I was drained so bad, it felt like I haven't slept in days. Can't wait to do this again!! Real soon, I will try short Interstate riding. :spyder:

rleathen
07-13-2009, 07:13 AM
You need to learn to relax your grip a bit...ok maybe a lot. A more relaxed grip will allow the blood to circulate through the hands much easier. As well you may want to adjust you seating position to change the angle that your wrists are at while holding the handle bars. There are other things you can do as well like handlebar risers and gel/foam grips.

BumbleBee
07-13-2009, 07:23 AM
:agree: I got 4" riser on order, should be in any day now. I am hoping that will help, since I have short arms and really have to lean forward. You mentioned "gel/foam grips", Do you have those? How good do they work? Where can I get them? Thanks

ataDude
07-13-2009, 07:46 AM
I like these grips:

Clicky - http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45212&postcount=53

vt228
07-13-2009, 07:51 AM
fill the grips with BBS it helps keep the vibration down and you well love the ride rizers well help and :congrats: on your new toy and welcome` to the family we all aske questions and read what others do to fix problems we get .
NMN and Lamonster are the ones that have most of all scoops on do dads and fix's the KINGS lol you make your baby the way you like her to be and when you go out and get fresh air you well sleep like a baby we all do some thing about a spyder . the numness padded gloves I have one's with silcone in them no numness at all and I ride all the time . have
1 fender lights from magic neon
2 neon green inside my spyder
3 neon lights on wheels green look cool at knight(rol -Glow )
4 heli bare with GPS and power plug
5 paint job with spyder ripping threw metal
with POW MIA on rear fender with webbing in freneds and around pow
6 spyder pegs
7 kuryakyn grips

2971 injoy and welcome to spyderlovers friend always (Don ) vt228:2thumbs:

BumbleBee
07-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks again for all the suggestions, I will look into them and do some purchasing.

bjt
07-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Agreeing with your husband, as you gain experience and confidence, any of the numbness caused by the adrenaline rush or "white knuckling" while riding will go away. However, anything caused by the ride ergonomics and your physical body size and shape will have to be corrected with add-ons like the risers you are getting, new grips, different seat or seat pads, etc. Even knowing what aftermarket additions to get come with time and experience unless you enjoy burning through money trying things out on the fly.

BumbleBee
07-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Agreeing with your husband, as you gain experience and confidence, any of the numbness caused by the adrenaline rush or "white knuckling" while riding will go away. However, anything caused by the ride ergonomics and your physical body size and shape will have to be corrected with add-ons like the risers you are getting, new grips, different seat or seat pads, etc. Even knowing what aftermarket additions to get come with time and experience unless you enjoy burning through money trying things out on the fly.

I do a lot of reading here on the site and research, before I buy anything, you bet!!! New grips are my next option. Soooo many to choose from, hard to make a decision at times. Thanks a bunches!!!

jodeg1945
07-13-2009, 09:51 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about! I call it the "DEATH GRIP"! That will ease up in time, when you get used to riding.

I was leaning over too far too, and it felt like I was leaning on my puny wrists. After I got the 4" risers, that improved a lot. I sit up straighter and don't lean as much.

I also had tailbone problems with the stock seat. I got a Corbin seat and that problem has also disappeared. The Corbin is so comfortable for me! The seat also moved me forward a little bit, so that helped too (I'm 5'4").

A taller windshield helps too, less fatique from the wind blowing me around.

As you can see, everyone adds mods to their Spyder! That's half the fun!

Enjoy your ryde!!

Saluda
07-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Maybe also suggest shorter rides at the beginning in areas or times of light traffic. Less tension, more enjoyment. It'll get a lot better. Good luck.

BumbleBee
07-13-2009, 10:15 AM
That's what I have been reading, that risers make a difference. 4" riser on order, coming in any day now. I have been looking into corbin seats and gel grips. I have been doing short rides, and been gradually adding a little more travel time. Being a newbie, I am probably gripping the handlebars to hard. We do longer trips on the weekends at 8:00 in the morning, almost no traffic then. On the way back home, I was feeling much better, relaxed a bit. Thanks a lot for all the info. Excellent site for everyone, but especially for a newbie who never has been on a bike. :2thumbs:

VossHog
07-13-2009, 10:20 AM
I had a big problem with hand numbness the first week I had the :spyder2:. The second week it got a lot better.

I think it was primarily that I wasn't as nervous and loosened my grip SUBSTANTIALLY. I also believe that as the Spyder gets broken in there is less handlebar vibration and, therefore, less hand numbness.

I was convinced I was going to have to buy risers and new grips after my first week. Now I'm not so sure. It may be fine the way it is. Everyone is different though so do what feels right to you. I'm still in the learning process as well.

Happy riding!

BumbleBee
07-13-2009, 10:37 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about! I call it the "DEATH GRIP"! That will ease up in time, when you get used to riding.

I was leaning over too far too, and it felt like I was leaning on my puny wrists. After I got the 4" risers, that improved a lot. I sit up straighter and don't lean as much.

I also had tailbone problems with the stock seat. I got a Corbin seat and that problem has also disappeared. The Corbin is so comfortable for me! The seat also moved me forward a little bit, so that helped too (I'm 5'4").

A taller windshield helps too, less fatique from the wind blowing me around.

As you can see, everyone adds mods to their Spyder! That's half the fun!

Enjoy your ryde!!

Which Corbin seat did you get? I was looking at the saddle seat up front and the Trunkbox for the back. Which windschield did you get? how high of one?
I look into everyone's mods all the time, great info. I enjoy my ride. Even when my hands are numb,lol. Thanks for the info!!!

BumbleBee
07-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I had a big problem with hand numbness the first week I had the :spyder2:. The second week it got a lot better.

I think it was primarily that I wasn't as nervous and loosened my grip SUBSTANTIALLY. I also believe that as the Spyder gets broken in there is less handlebar vibration and, therefore, less hand numbness.

I was convinced I was going to have to buy risers and new grips after my first week. Now I'm not so sure. It may be fine the way it is. Everyone is different though so do what feels right to you. I'm still in the learning process as well.

Happy riding!

:agree: I believe I have the same problem, being nervous and all. My husband said the same thing, with time and experience, I will learn not to hold on so tight. Happy and safe riding to all of you out there!!!

superfly3
07-13-2009, 10:52 AM
You need to learn to relax your grip a bit...ok maybe a lot. A more relaxed grip will allow the blood to circulate through the hands much easier. As well you may want to adjust you seating position to change the angle that your wrists are at while holding the handle bars. There are other things you can do as well like handlebar risers and gel/foam grips.

:agree:

SpyderDeb
07-13-2009, 01:55 PM
:congrats: on getting your Spyder :clap:. The fun has just begun! I was having trouble with numbness also - added the 1" riser from BRP and then the 3" from No Magic Neon. Evan and his better half Patti :joke: are both great to work with. I would recommend putting on the four inch right away from NMN. I also have the Chad windshield which I love - again from NMN. I have gel grips - helped some - however, just picked up a pair of Kuryakyn grips now made for the Spyder. Waiting for rainy weather for my husband to put them on - he plans to install the heat demons at the same time. As far as the seat - I'm waiting to see the BRP one that just came out - I was in a dealer in the Ft. Worth area on Sat and he said they were not available yet - I told him to check out this website :roflblack:. Glad I didn't buy from there! I'd like to sit on one before ordering - although the reviews that I've read on this site sound positive. Enjoy riding but be safe!

jnt
07-13-2009, 02:50 PM
welcome:congrats:

W had same trouble with hands until she got the risers. Some sort of throttle lock or cruise may be helpful, as well.

The fun is just beginning!

orangespydiegirl
07-13-2009, 04:31 PM
welcome I was also a new rider of a "Bike" so I had the death grip and white nuckles going on for awhile. I did add the 4" risers and Corbin seat not because of the numbness but I wanted to sit up straighter and needed a back rest due to back problems. No new grips yet I think I'll wait and see how many I can try out before I buy. Safe riding and enjoy the :spyder2:

Zerocool
07-13-2009, 05:03 PM

:agree:

You don't hold the steering wheel in your car tightly, right? You know how much the car will move/drift at all speeds... same will be true with the :spyder:

Once you get comfortable, and relax a LOT more, you'll find your groove with the :spyder: and how much it will move/drift. Eventually, you'll be holding the grips loosely - even at high speeds :yes:

Suggestion: don't buy anything until you get more miles under your belt.

Good luck and welcome

BajaRon
07-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I agree with all the riders here posting about needing to relax. When you're having that much fun and pumping that much adrenaline you are stressing your body muscles (called "White Knuckle") and you don't even realize it.

When the effects of your stress finally overcome the adrenaline you're way past the point of quick recovery. Why do you think roller coaster rides are so short?

As you get more accostomed to the overall experience you'll have more time and ablility to pay attention to what your body is telling you.

Relaxing while being alert is a skill that comes with practice. No one jumps on the 1st time and has this down.

You may want to make some modifications to your Spyder to better suit your size and riding style (like NMN risers, etc.) But my 2 cents is, give the stock Spyder some time to grow on you (and you to grow on it). Once you can ride with all your faculties and senses in good working order you'll be in a better position to accurately assess which mods will do you the most good.

Then, when you do make a modification, you will have a good experience base with your ride to determine exactly what improvements the modification has provided you.

The Spyder really has a very low amount of vibration. I doubt that vibration has much to do with your fingers going numb. And the stock grips actually do a fair job of isolating vibration.

I changed my grips, but more for asthetics and size than vibration, (I have small hands and like a narrow grip). I probably get more vibration with my current grips than stock. But as I said, vibration being slight on the Spyder it was not a concern to me.

With some practice and more saddle time you'll be a pro soon.

Riding a Spyder is a rush!