PDA

View Full Version : Help

CENTAUR
08-18-2019, 01:26 AM
Hi Fellow Rykerers,
My trike has been intermittently making the whistling sound some have noted and now in left handed sweepers, on the throttle, it occasionally stutters as if starving for gas. Ideas??
Thanks
CENTAUR🤔

poli
08-18-2019, 04:43 AM
Only thing I can think of is the VSS kicking in. What mode are you in? If you don't think you're going exceedingly fast or on the throttle too much then you may have a bad sensor.

youngers
08-18-2019, 07:37 AM
super charger kicking in ? :hun: wondering if the airfilter canister is not closing correctly ( just a guess only ) or intake manifold boots are cracked ?

Markubis
08-18-2019, 09:47 AM
Hi Fellow Rykerers,
My trike has been intermittently making the whistling sound some have noted and now in left handed sweepers, on the throttle, it occasionally stutters as if starving for gas. Ideas??
Thanks
CENTAUR��

My thoughts.
If the fuel pump is whistling intermittently perhaps it's causing the gas starvation issue?

Zoot
08-18-2019, 11:48 AM
I was thinking about fuel starvation too, but I keep going back to "LEFT-handed sweepers". Is there anything that could account for that? Swinging pickup in the fuel tank maybe?
Unless somehow the VSS is cutting power on left handers, and it might be a bad sensor as suggested by Poll.

Markubis
08-18-2019, 12:30 PM
I was thinking about fuel starvation too, but I keep going back to "LEFT-handed sweepers". Is there anything that could account for that? Swinging pickup in the fuel tank maybe?
Unless somehow the VSS is cutting power on left handers, and it might be a bad sensor as suggested by Poll.

That was on my mind also but I then I figured that if it was something in the fuel tank it would not be an immediate effect due to the fuel needing to go from the tank to the fuel injector. Possible a yaw sensor?

poli
08-18-2019, 01:20 PM
Centaur, next time it does it, check your dash. It should show if the VSS is momentarily activating.

Rob Rodriguez
08-18-2019, 08:12 PM
It's been my experience with the Ski Doo that when the fuel pump goes bad it doesn't work. The sled or in this case bike may start and idle but when try to go somewhere you can't build enough power, fuel pressure to make that happen. I think if the fuel pump were really the issue you wouldn't be moving at all?

I have the interment noisy pump issue but other than being annoying it doesn't seem to affect the bike. I also haven't heard of any actual pump failures......just the annoying noise.

CENTAUR
08-19-2019, 09:55 PM
Only thing I can think of is the VSS kicking in. What mode are you in? If you don't think you're going exceedingly fast or on the throttle too much then you may have a bad sensor.

Eco mode.

CENTAUR
08-19-2019, 09:59 PM
I have considered those possibilities.

CENTAUR
08-19-2019, 10:00 PM
That was on my mind also but I then I figured that if it was something in the fuel tank it would not be an immediate effect due to the fuel needing to go from the tank to the fuel injector. Possible a yaw sensor?

Sensor was my first thought.

CENTAUR
08-19-2019, 10:01 PM
Centaur, next time it does it, check your dash. It should show if the VSS is momentarily activating.

I have looked for any kind of error notice. Nada.

CENTAUR
08-19-2019, 10:07 PM
Thanks all for your thoughts. I'll be going to dealer and will post outcome. I just wish I could find one that is familiar with Rykers. One service manager told me, "You know more about Ryker than we do" and everywhere I check, 5 dealers, they are short handed and it takes weeks to get in.:banghead:

MDLNB
08-20-2019, 02:42 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you have a gas cap on it?

CENTAUR
08-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you have a gas cap on it?

No gas cap. Stock.

old Timer
08-24-2019, 07:46 AM
Centaur, you aparently stated that you were in eco mode, have you tried it in any other mode?

CENTAUR
08-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Centaur, you aparently stated that you were in eco mode, have you tried it in any other mode?

Yes. "Normal" same deal

CENTAUR
09-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Took the RYKE to a dealer who took it for a ride and made it studder in both right and left turns. It's just the nanny kicking in. Just the nanny... doah!
:opps:
:2thumbs:

cueman
09-04-2019, 10:49 AM
What was the whistling sound?:coffee: cueman

Rob Rodriguez
09-04-2019, 11:22 AM
You must be in ECO or ECO OFF mode?

CENTAUR
09-06-2019, 07:08 PM
What was the whistling sound?:coffee: cueman

Do not know. It has disappeared.:dontknow:

CENTAUR
09-06-2019, 07:13 PM

Yes. Did not realize I was cornering so hard. Guess I'll go to "SPORT" mode.

Rob Rodriguez
09-06-2019, 07:25 PM

I've noticed now that we have cooler temperatures my fuel pump whine has stopped as well. 3000 miles and still going strong with no issues.