PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry on a rt....

jegarh
08-17-2019, 09:27 PM
Have any of you used the Hopnel H41-152CC EZ Carry Pouch? I don't like to have to fish out my LC9S from the glove box in full view of the usual gawkers when I have to leave the bike. I suppose I could just stick the Sneaky Pete holster that I have in the glove box and then just hand carry it if I had to. I like the handiness of the EZ Carry Pouch. I have a set of Hopnel bags and they are well made.

UtahPete
08-17-2019, 09:34 PM
:popcorn:

dklehman
08-17-2019, 09:35 PM
i either carry in my inside jacket pocket with my goldstar pocket holster or the ryker tank bag.

bigbadbrucie
08-17-2019, 10:02 PM
Why not just leave it at home, assuming that you’re just out for a ride and not a holdup job?

lonestar2112
08-17-2019, 10:08 PM
I wear BMW City Pants, I carry in one of the pockets. That way it is with me all the time.

Gwolf
08-17-2019, 10:12 PM
Inside vest thumb break holster.............

gkamer
08-17-2019, 10:27 PM
Why not just leave it at home, assuming that you’re just out for a ride and not a holdup job?

I carry concealed for personal protection. Since I never know when I might find myself in a situation where I need to defend myself, my firearm is not doing me much good sitting at home.

dklehman
08-17-2019, 10:42 PM
I have not left my home without my pistol since one week after my 21st birthday when my ccw showed up. You just never know.

UtahPete
08-17-2019, 11:08 PM
I carry concealed for personal protection. Since I never know when I might find myself in a situation where I need to defend myself, my firearm is not doing me much good sitting at home.

:popcorn:

Wildrice
08-17-2019, 11:35 PM

I have found that it is a waist of time to try to explain the value of a CCW until that person or friend of that person finds themselves desperately wishing they had one. I carry a spare tire & I can't remember the last time I needed it.

Grandpot
08-18-2019, 03:11 AM
I have found that it is a waist of time to try to explain the value of a CCW until that person or friend of that person finds themselves desperately wishing they had one. I carry a spare tire & I can't remember the last time I needed it.

Interesting analogy.:thumbup:

PistonBlown
08-18-2019, 05:07 AM
Only in the US...

Te aroha, te whakapono me te rangimarie tatou tatou e

Nobodyjj
08-18-2019, 06:07 AM
Very sad situation!

MEP
08-18-2019, 06:54 AM
Have any of you used the Hopnel H41-152CC EZ Carry Pouch? I don't like to have to fish out my LC9S from the glove box in full view of the usual gawkers when I have to leave the bike. I suppose I could just stick the Sneaky Pete holster that I have in the glove box and then just hand carry it if I had to. I like the handiness of the EZ Carry Pouch. I have a set of Hopnel bags and they are well made.

I would not carry a handgun in any sort of bag or other arrangement affixed to the bike, if your primary goal is to protect yourself or passenger from death or great bodily harm. If you are separated from the bike (say, for an example, as in a vehicular hijacking or some other attack that knocks or otherwise causes you to be off the bike), your handgun is worthless to you and may well fall into the hands of your assailant. A handgun properly and securely concealed on your person remains under your control and subject only to your commands. Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you are always fully compliant with the laws of any jurisdiction that you may be riding in.

imfleck
08-18-2019, 07:28 AM
If you're going to carry, carry on your person.

bluewoo
08-18-2019, 07:56 AM
I use a holster that clips behind my waist belt concealed.
Hope this stays civil so we can have a normal conversation about CCW.nojoke

Grandpot
08-18-2019, 08:59 AM
Only in the US...

I believe a rough translation to this song is: "love faith and peace be amongst us all."

It's a great thought, but when people all over the world are trying to kill each other with trucks, knives, bombs, guns, and whatever they can get their hands on, it becomes a great wish. It has become a world wide mindset that violence is the new cure for people that don't believe the way others think they should. This new age of violence has several roots; religion, nationalities, race, class, culture, etc. We have lost our humanity.

I'm on the side of those that just want to live our lives and tolerate others. I also believe that you must be able to defend yourself and you have a right to do it. You cannot count on the authorities to always do it for you. There's an old saying I learned as a police officer, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." I always conceal carry.

wyliec
08-18-2019, 09:31 AM
I have a question, and it's not about whether to carry or not to carry.

When would you actually draw your weapon? This is for those that actually carry. I was going to present different scenarios, but decided to keep the post short. If you're going to say when you feel threatened, can you be more specific?

ARtraveler
08-18-2019, 10:09 AM
If we can keep this friendly, without getting nasty, calling people out, etc....we will let it run.

PS. We leave mine at home. I know there are many others out there that do carry all the time. That is fine with me.

The usual, with a gun thread, is that it turns South quickly. Now we well close it down quickly if it heads that way. Fair warning I hope.

bluewoo
08-18-2019, 10:12 AM
If we can keep this friendly, without getting nasty, calling people out, etc....we will let it run.

PS. We leave mine at home. I know there are many others out there that do carry all the time. That is fine with me.

The usual, with a gun thread, is that it turns South quickly. Now we well close it down quickly if it heads that way. Fair warning I hope.

Thank you!

bluewoo
08-18-2019, 10:20 AM

When would you actually draw your weapon? This is for those that actually carry. I was going to present different scenarios, but decided to keep the post short. If you're going to say when you feel threatened, can you be more specific?

You could go over hundreds of scenarios and each one will be different. Florida has "stand your ground" law But its never that simple as several popular cases went different directions in those rulings.
I myself cant answer that question and Im not going to try to find one being I dont think there is just one.

I just hope I never have to.

UtahPete
08-18-2019, 10:59 AM

:hun: :popcorn:

UtahPete
08-18-2019, 11:02 AM
I believe a rough translation to this song is: "love faith and peace be amongst us all."

It's a great thought, but when people all over the world are trying to kill each other with trucks, knives, bombs, guns, and whatever they can get their hands on, it becomes a great wish. It has become a world wide mindset that violence is the new cure for people that don't believe the way others think they should. This new age of violence has several roots; religion, nationalities, race, class, culture, etc. We have lost our humanity.

I'm on the side of those that just want to live our lives and tolerate others. I also believe that you must be able to defend yourself and you have a right to do it. You cannot count on the authorities to always do it for you. There's an old saying I learned as a police officer, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." I always conceal carry.

:agree: Well said

Grandpot
08-18-2019, 11:05 AM
When to draw your gun? Too many variables.

Navydad
08-18-2019, 11:20 AM

Okay, here is my CCW adventure. There is a bicycle path along our local floodwall. This path winds around the town and sections are in a wooded area. This is a great place to ride a bicycle or to take a walk and very rarely will you go there without seeing other folks. This was on early Sunday morning and there were no other folks on the path that morning. I was walking as usual and I noticed a man keeping track of me, but also trying to remain out of my site. As I approached an isolated section he approached me and was pulling a knife from his pocket. I drew my weapon and while keeping it pointed to the ground I told him to not come any closer. He stopped and informed me wasn't afraid of my gun and I should just shoot him. That didn't sound like something a rational person would say so I told him to drop the knife and no one would get hurt today. He dropped the knife and started telling me about a woman he liked, but who wouldn't speak to him. He asked me to call her for him and at this point I knew he wasn't any where near rational in his thinking. I ask him the number and called the police instead. All of this time I had my weapon ready, but pointed at the ground and wouldn't allow him to approach me. Police came and the story was the guy had been stalking this woman and had got busted for it. He was also on medication which he frequently wouldn't take. The man never came closer after I told him to stop. The man dropped the knife when I told him to. I thank God that I never had to do more than show the firearm because taking a persons life is something you will live with for the rest of your life. Make no mistake, if he would have came at me with the knife I would have fired on him. I was lucky in that this didn't happen in a split second and I had time to think and assess the situation rather than shoot. You don't always have this luxury. The police of course interviewed me at length and explained that the guy was on meds and told me about the stalking. I told them I was thankful I did not have to shoot, but I would have if he had approached me. Officer said I would have been well within my rights to defend myself because of the knife. I have a CCW, I often carry and I hope I never have to use deadly force against another human. However I will defend myself and my family.

Navydad
08-18-2019, 11:33 AM
In answer to the original question. I carry on my person unless I am going to an area that doesn't allow it.

jaherbst
08-18-2019, 11:47 AM

So how many of you if any have pulled your gun on someone and used it in self defense?

I have had a CCW for 39 years and only actually carried few times when carrying large amounts of cash.

Jack

2dogs
08-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Always be aware of your surroundings at all times. Try not to place yourself (or your family) in a position where you have limited movement and cannot exit your position quickly to seek cover or concealment from a threat or danger. If at all possible be perceptive and simply exit stage left to avoid confrontation. Once you've chosen to use deadly force, you can never take it back.

oldgoat
08-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Always be aware of your surroundings at all times. Try not to place yourself (or your family) in a position where you have limited movement and cannot exit your position quickly to seek cover or concealment from a threat or danger. If at all possible be perceptive and simply exit stage left to avoid confrontation. Once you've chosen to use deadly force, you can never take it back.

I dunno. It seems like you must have lost all enjoyment & spontaneity in your life if you have to spend it as though on an army patrol in hostile territory. So sad.

2dogs
08-18-2019, 12:39 PM
No Mr. Goat, not sad but glad. There are sad stories everyday in every newspaper across the country were folks have willingly or unwillingly placed themselves in harms way and suffered life changing results. We all have the ability to make choices. Not all of us make them wisely sad to say. Just from your moniker I'm guessing you've done a pretty good job yourself, keep up the good work.

ARtraveler
08-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Reminder--see post #19.

WisconsinDavid
08-18-2019, 12:57 PM
I carry, but hope I never ever have to use the gun. I think most of us who carry are of that same mindset. Evil will always be around us. That is just the way of this world. If the situation should present itself to defend my life or others, I will be in a position that allows me to protect life. It is a big responsibility and not one to be taken lightly.

Jeriatric
08-18-2019, 01:00 PM
Okay, here is my CCW adventure. There is a bicycle path along our local floodwall. This path winds around the town and sections are in a wooded area. This is a great place to ride a bicycle or to take a walk and very rarely will you go there without seeing other folks. This was on early Sunday morning and there were no other folks on the path that morning. I was walking as usual and I noticed a man keeping track of me, but also trying to remain out of my site. As I approached an isolated section he approached me and was pulling a knife from his pocket. I drew my weapon and while keeping it pointed to the ground I told him to not come any closer. He stopped and informed me wasn't afraid of my gun and I should just shoot him. That didn't sound like something a rational person would say so I told him to drop the knife and no one would get hurt today. He dropped the knife and started telling me about a woman he liked, but who wouldn't speak to him. He asked me to call her for him and at this point I knew he wasn't any where near rational in his thinking. I ask him the number and called the police instead. All of this time I had my weapon ready, but pointed at the ground and wouldn't allow him to approach me. Police came and the story was the guy had been stalking this woman and had got busted for it. He was also on medication which he frequently wouldn't take. The man never came closer after I told him to stop. The man dropped the knife when I told him to. I thank God that I never had to do more than show the firearm because taking a persons life is something you will live with for the rest of your life. Make no mistake, if he would have came at me with the knife I would have fired on him. I was lucky in that this didn't happen in a split second and I had time to think and assess the situation rather than shoot. You don't always have this luxury. The police of course interviewed me at length and explained that the guy was on meds and told me about the stalking. I told them I was thankful I did not have to shoot, but I would have if he had approached me. Officer said I would have been well within my rights to defend myself because of the knife. I have a CCW, I often carry and I hope I never have to use deadly force against another human. However I will defend myself and my family.

In all my years of reading these CCW posts, yours, is the first "I had to" that I recall ever reading.

Glad it all worked out!

UtahPete
08-18-2019, 01:38 PM
No Mr. Goat, not sad but glad. There are sad stories everyday in every newspaper across the country were folks have willingly or unwillingly placed themselves in harms way and suffered life changing results. We all have the ability to make choices. Not all of us make them wisely sad to say. Just from your moniker I'm guessing you've done a pretty good job yourself, keep up the good work.

I think it's great that we can exercise our freedom of choice. I don't fault those who choose to 'carry' responsibly, concealed or otherwise (although I'd prefer it be concealed)

dklehman
08-18-2019, 01:53 PM
My brother in law was the first person shot in the McDonalds massacre in 1983 he lived by pretending to be dead for 2 hours but it changed the way my wife has lived her entire life and my vigilance in our daily lives has allowed her to relax and enjoy doing things in public situations. Something that eluded her until about 15 years ago. So sad as it may seem to some i am always watching doors, keeping in mind ways to quickly exit a building putting myself and my family in a position that gives us a chance to react to a worst case scenario. It has gotten to point where it is not even something we think about just how we naturally do things.

Jeriatric
08-18-2019, 01:55 PM
My brother in law was the first person shot in the McDonalds massacre in 1983 he lived by pretending to be dead for 2 hours but it changed the way my wife has lived her entire life and my vigilance in our daily lives has allowed her to relax and enjoy doing things in public situations. Something that eluded her until about 15 years ago. So sad as it may seem to some i am always watching doors, keeping in mind ways to quickly exit a building putting myself and my family in a position that gives us a chance to react to a worst case scenario. It has gotten to point where it is not even something we think about just how we naturally do things.

As it is for any combat veteran.

Wildrice
08-18-2019, 02:06 PM
So how many of you if any have pulled your gun on someone and used it in self defense?

I have had a CCW for 39 years and only actually carried few times when carrying large amounts of cash.

Jack

Jack---I've carried that spare tire for over 50 yrs. If i needed it--it might be a life saver--depending on the area that it's needed. Remember the song from the 60's---it's a strange-strange world we live in master Jack? & it appears to be getting stranger. If one is uncomfortable carrying a firearm--Don't Carry One. But if you believe the 2nd Amendment is your right, then exercising that right is nobody's business but their own.

UtahPete
08-18-2019, 02:51 PM
As it is for any combat veteran.

True...

bluewoo
08-18-2019, 03:26 PM
I dunno. It seems like you must have lost all enjoyment & spontaneity in your life if you have to spend it as though on an army patrol in hostile territory. So sad.

Ask a corrections officer in a prison how they act outside of work?
My friend put in 20 years and he was changed for life "Always be aware of your surroundings at all times. Try not to place yourself (or your family) in a position where you have limited movement and cannot exit your position quickly" The prison trains you this way and he does not own a gun, But he could take me down in a sec before I knew what was happening.nojoke

als
08-18-2019, 04:33 PM

Jack

The important thing is "if you have it when you need it! Don't go looking for trouble just because you carry.
My thoughts!!

safecracker
08-18-2019, 05:04 PM
When I carry on Spyder it is at the 4:30 position IWB.

campermac
08-18-2019, 05:17 PM
I carry my P365 in my Sticky Holster. Don't even know it is there and when I am off the bike it doesn't leave a foot print so that others can't see it either.

Jeriatric
08-18-2019, 05:34 PM
California > Concealed or Open carry

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-18-2019, 05:35 PM
I don't believe concealed carry, and especially open carry, are necessary. But if you insist on doing it all I ask is you be mindful of all those around you and participate in vigorous gun use and safety training equal to what law enforcement officers go through. An LE spoke to our church some time ago about safety. She said you need to be so well trained that you use the weapon instinctively. That requires refresher training every few weeks or months, just as the LE folks do. When you are in a panic or crisis situation you dare not plan on being able to think rationally and quickly. The human mind isn't created that way.

Navydad
08-18-2019, 05:59 PM
In all my years of reading these CCW posts, yours, is the first "I had to" that I recall ever reading.

Glad it all worked out!

I actually was carrying because there had been folks with their dogs harassed by a group of coyotes at the floodwall. The problem with urban coyotes is they have lost their fear of people and will come after the smaller pets. I didn't have a small dog with me, but I wasn't about to be treed by coyotes either. The coyotes were eventually all trapped and removed from their city home. I don't carry often in our small town and really have no fear here, but I want the option to protect mine when away from home or when strolling through urban coyote country.

PistonBlown
08-19-2019, 12:49 AM

And of course all those guns you have in the US have done wonders in lowering the number of deaths.

As someone one who has seen more than enough violence in my 50 years, most recently being within two metres of the Christchurch shooter, I see no need for them.

So time for me to leave SpyderLovers, I'd rather ride in peace than read this stuff.

Bfromla
08-19-2019, 03:54 AM
I carry a spare tire & I can't remember the last time I needed it.

Interesting analogy.:thumbup:
:spyder2:Spare tire :hun: :dontknow: that safety card however :clap::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Dennis in Lodi
08-19-2019, 08:36 AM
I don't believe concealed carry, and especially open carry, are necessary. But if you insist on doing it all I ask is you be mindful of all those around you and participate in vigorous gun use and safety training equal to what law enforcement officers go through. An LE spoke to our church some time ago about safety. She said you need to be so well trained that you use the weapon instinctively. That requires refresher training every few weeks or months, just as the LE folks do. When you are in a panic or crisis situation you dare not plan on being able to think rationally and quickly. The human mind isn't created that way.

This view is a bit off base for me. Most shootings are at very close range and even an untrained person can point a pistol at 6 feet and shoot to save their life. Consider this. YOU, Your child, relative for close friend is standing in a situation with a gun in their face. Next to them is a dead person just shot by this offender. Then by a miracle as conceal carry person ends this situation. I think any victim would have little concern about how accurate I shoot and other possible collateral damage my missing might have. But make no mistake, if I responded to that situation with my conceal carry, my personal freedom would be in real trouble. If I don't loose my freedom, I would have to be on guard the rest of my life from retaliation from friends and family of this offender that I cripple or kill.
I have carried my gun for 7 years and not one person except a very select few have even the slightest clue. I envision standing in a a place of business with some young worker who is SOMEBODY's son or daughter, facing grave danger that they didn't sing up for. In that situation, without hesitation, I will place my FREEDOM on the line to save that person. It would be an honor if I did that service for you one day and it would help put a face on the picture of what the real conceal carry person is. I challenge ANYONE to look at the statistics of crimes committed by conceal carry persons or even collateral damage from lack of weekly training to use the weapon.
D3ennis

kissfan
08-19-2019, 09:23 AM

As an NRA instructor, may I give an observation?

Most LE folks do not train more than twice a year after the academy. Most are not "gun people" and only shoot/practice enough to qualify for the next year. I have personally witnessed LE training, and I used it as a teaching tool with my students as how NOT to handle firearms. Rounds in the ceiling, sweeping one another. Don't confuse wearing the uniform with firearm knowledge.

Lew L
08-19-2019, 09:36 AM
And of course all those guns you have in the US have done wonders in lowering the number of deaths.

As someone one who has seen more than enough violence in my 50 years, most recently being within two metres of the Christchurch shooter, I see no need for them.

So time for me to leave SpyderLovers, I'd rather ride in peace than read this stuff.

To bad---- Your contributions to the site have been worthwhile and interesting.

Please don't be run off by those of us who would rather " be judged by 12 than be carried by 6. "

ARtraveler
08-19-2019, 09:53 AM
PM sent to PistonBlown.

Tick...tick...tick....

TONYO
08-19-2019, 10:35 AM
My Spectrum on a ST>> 175005175006

jcoats1
08-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Really???

Fatcycledaddy
08-19-2019, 11:52 AM

I don't leave it at home for the same reasons I don't leave my helmet, eye protection, leathers, gloves, and any other Safety equipment at home when i just go out for a ride.
I will never know when I will need it until I do need it. When I do need it, if it is setting at home, it does me no good and is too late to use it.
Just as I hope I never have to use all of the safety equipment that i wear when I ride, I also hope I never have to use the safety equipment I carry on my person. Both sets of safety equipment have one purpose and that is to prevent bodily harm and or death if possible.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-19-2019, 12:01 PM
As an NRA instructor, may I give an observation?

Most LE folks do not train more than twice a year after the academy. Most are not "gun people" and only shoot/practice enough to qualify for the next year. I have personally witnessed LE training, and I used it as a teaching tool with my students as how NOT to handle firearms. Rounds in the ceiling, sweeping one another. Don't confuse wearing the uniform with firearm knowledge.
So you're saying proper training is essential for proper handling of a firearm?

Wildrice
08-19-2019, 12:08 PM

Nothing about firearms scare me more than someone who buys a handgun for protection, never goes to a range to fire it, or never fires it at all while thinking it may be their life saver. Call the ER, resident with bullet hole in their foot :-( I would never recommend a pistol to be used by the uninitiated, pistols can be complicated where as in a panic environment a revolver is fairly simple--just aim & pull the trigger. It's one thing to be shooting at a range & totally different when someone breaks into your home--no time to remember to cock the slide or take the safety off without being an experienced shooter.

kissfan
08-19-2019, 12:15 PM

It is suggested, yes.

My statement said not to equate Law Enforcement with proper firearm handling and tactics.

Pallidus Aranea
08-19-2019, 12:17 PM
To the original question - concealed carry on an RT. For me just depends on what I am wearing that day. I can comfortably carry in the rear waistband, ankle, inside the jacket (vented or leather) or I have a "tank bag" if for some strange reason I want it "with me" but "not on me".

Why do I carry - First and foremost - it is a Constitutional right granted, just like my right to vote. I use both to the best of my ability. I have been on the victim end of things one too many times - albeit for many different reasons. Wearing is two parts for me (1) it provides me some control in a situation where I normally would have none and (2) insurance - since I am well trained and disciplined, I can provide some additional "insurance" for my family.

BoilerAnimal
08-19-2019, 12:18 PM

So much for concealed carry.

2dogs
08-19-2019, 12:37 PM

I don't think that's such a good idea Tonyo. JMO

In one of my travels I happened across some bikes parked outside a restaurant where we stopped for bite. I noticed one of bikes had an empty holster strapped on to it's handlebars. Later we were all leaving at about the same time and I commented to the rider of the bike with the empty holster about the item. I was told there was no gun for it. He said no one knew that but him, so no one took any chances not knowing who had the gun or where it was. Interesting concept.

TONYO
08-19-2019, 12:41 PM
I dont conceal.....I been carriein a gun for over 40 years. Open carry is legal here. TY

TONYO
08-19-2019, 12:43 PM
I never go out to eat.AND I avoid humans as much as possible. TY

ARtraveler
08-19-2019, 12:46 PM
Okay folks....the thread has now gone way off course. The subject IS "Concealed Carry on an RT"

If you don't have that perspective, then lets leave the other gun statements out.

It's going to get closed down. The mods have been discussing the subject. :popcorn:

bmccaffrey
08-19-2019, 06:35 PM
I wear a Opoovo pouch. 1 9mm 2 extra mags and my cell phone. Works great

Docster
08-19-2019, 07:02 PM
Always on my person, backup in frunk

bscofield84
08-20-2019, 10:45 AM
I haven't had to use my weapon while on my Spyder. I have however hit a deer with my car, and did use my fire arm to put the deer out of it's suffering.

donhy
08-20-2019, 11:14 AM
It sounds like this issue only affects US Spyder models :).

Grandpot
08-20-2019, 11:30 AM
I would never keep the gun on the Spyder or in my car. If you are separated from your vehicle and needed the weapon, what good would it do hidden in the vehicle?

KosherKid
08-20-2019, 11:56 AM
Only in the US...

I wish it were so! But it's not here (US) or around the world.

2dogs
08-20-2019, 12:24 PM
The best of all conceal carry for the RT or any other spyder for that matter, is the one that you never ever have to use. Same goes for your collision insurance. And, the utmost of luck to all those who rush to the aid of others.