PDA

View Full Version : Elka shock rebound adjustment

aka1004
08-16-2019, 05:15 PM
When I contacted elka I was told to use the bent stick like tool included with the shock but when I looked on bottom part of the rear shock where the adjustment is made, I only see adjustment screws with slotted head!
Any ideas?

Cobwebs
08-16-2019, 05:31 PM
You have to get creative there's not much room to get a screwdriver in there.

AY4B
08-16-2019, 07:08 PM
It sounds like he was describing the tool to adjust the spring tention. The rebound adjustment is on the end of the shock.

aka1004
08-16-2019, 07:52 PM
Tool looks like that, just round bent stick but adjustment screws looks like that.

It sounds like he was describing the tool to adjust the spring tention. The rebound adjustment is on the end of the shock.

oldgoat
08-16-2019, 09:03 PM
That bent rod is for raising or lowering the spring collar to lessen or increase the spring tension

aka1004
08-16-2019, 09:16 PM
I see. so tool for rebound is not even included...
I guess customer service at Elka did not know what he was talking about.
thank you.

That bent rod is for raising or lowering the spring collar to lessen or increase the spring tension

AY4B
08-17-2019, 03:04 AM
I see. so tool for rebound is not even included...
I guess customer service at Elka did not know what he was talking about.
thank you.

The adjustment tool for the rebound is a flat head screwdriver. The problem is it is very hard to get to. You would need to remove the shock if you have never done one before. An Elka tech would probably know how to just reach under the fender well and make the adjustment. I have never felt the need to make that adjustment. If I remember right, there are only 3 settings to choose from, default setting is on the center. I have replaced the springs on mine to a heavier one. I had to remove the shocks and take them apart to do it. Because I am big, I was bottoming out alot and Elka sent me the heavier springs. Problem solved.

AY4B
08-17-2019, 03:21 AM
I just checked the Elka web site and the newer version of the stage 2 shocks doesn't have the slotted screw driver type any more. They went to a knob that you can just turn with your fingers. This is what else they say about the rebound adjustment.

REBOUND DAMPING

Controls the speed at which the shock absorber returns to its fully extended position after being compressed, keeping the wheels on the ground for maximum traction and reducing the recoil effect caused by the spring pressure pushing back after being compressed.

To use, turn the adjuster clockwise to slow down the rebound or turn counter-clockwise to speed up the rebound.
https://us.elkasuspension.com/spyder-shock-absorbers/stage-2-recreational-spyder-shock-absorbers/
https://us.elkasuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2016/02/SPYDER-46-Stage2_3.jpg

AY4B
08-17-2019, 03:35 AM
Since Lamonster Garage sells Elka shocks now, you could also call them to ask questions.

DavidJS
08-17-2019, 10:06 AM
What’s shown in that picture is the remote pre-load adjustment for “Hyd” shocks. The rebound adjustment (when present) is the inset screw at the bottom of the shock.

David

AY4B
08-17-2019, 11:42 AM
What’s shown in that picture is the remote pre-load adjustment for “Hyd” shocks. The rebound adjustment (when present) is the inset screw at the bottom of the shock.

David

That pic was for a Stage 2 rear shock. If you go to the link the new ones are no longer a screw, it is a knob. Also on F3's they install the spring side up, on RT's the Spring side is down. FYI, on my F3L I only have the front shocks as Elkas. The rear is still stock.

DavidJS
08-17-2019, 11:55 AM
Here is the rebound adjustment:

On older shocks, it is a screw, as you said. The control in your photo is the remote pre-load adjustment for “hyd” shocks. Not trying to argue. I’ve just been researching this and wanted to correct the information.

David

aka1004
08-17-2019, 12:26 PM
Their website show this shock as stage 2 but if you hit the buy button for spyder, it shows my shock, stage 2 without the knob.
My shock sure doesn’t have a knob.

Here is the rebound adjustment:

On older shocks, it is a screw, as you said. The control in your photo is the remote pre-load adjustment for “hyd” shocks. Not trying to argue. I’ve just been researching this and wanted to correct the information.

David

DavidJS
08-17-2019, 04:06 PM
That’s right, aka. Yours has a small slotted screw instead. The knob is brand new.

David