PDA

View Full Version : Something you don't see everyday....

spyderider1
08-14-2019, 05:58 PM
It's been happening since the beginning of time but it's rare to actually see it when it happens. North of us here in Wisconsin is Michigan's Upper Peninsula which borders on Lake Superior, the largest fresh water lake in the world based on surface area. The following links will show what happens when Mother Nature has an itch to scratch.

https://www.wbay.com/content/news/Kayakers-escape-injury-as-cliff-collapses-into-Lake-Superior-542617991.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvCQtst6y1U

On another note, for those looking for trip ideas for the upper Midwest, I'm told that the round trip around Lake Superior on two or three wheels can be done comfortably in 2 or 3 days. I haven't done it (yet) but have friends that have done it. Lake Superior is a natural Air Conditioner in the summertime and the colors in the fall are most impressive. Bucket List? Maybe so.

Raknid
08-14-2019, 11:05 PM
The Superior loop is on my list too.:2thumbs:

Chupaca
08-14-2019, 11:59 PM
Glad the kayakers were off to the side.. we recently had a similar cliff collapse on one of our beaches but unfortunately four people were killed. :pray:

ozarkryder
08-15-2019, 04:29 AM
I lived in Munising from '77 to '86 while working on the local radio station there. I remember the cliffs dropping a few times during my time up there but never saw it myself.

I have run the Superior loop a few times, when I lived in Minnesota. It is a trip definitely worth doing. Some cut accross the Keweenaw Peninsula from Baraga to Ontonagon, but I always ride up the east side to Houghton & Hancock, stop to see family (Ya, I'm originally a Yooper) then to Dollar Bay, Lake Linden, Gay (stop at the Gay Bar and get a shirt) to 41 to Copper Harbor. Back through Eagle River on the west side of the Keweenaw, back to Houghton & Hancock and then to the west. Both times I did the circle I started in Duluth and did the ride clockwise, that is east through Canada and west from the Soo back to Duluth. Looks like I'll have to get a passport and do the ride on the RTL in the near future.

JeffandLori
08-15-2019, 06:24 AM
Que the Edmond Fitzgerald song. That will get you about 30% of the ride done with only listening to one song.

ChicagoSpyder
08-15-2019, 07:31 AM
We circled the the big lake on sleds in 2001, it's a wild ass weeklong snowmobile trip, in one day we experienced 38* and rain in the morning while crossing Lake Huron and by the time we got into Chapleau, Ontario at 9:00 that night it was -35* and blowing snow.........

Does any one know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Gordon Lightfoot

Scotts8826
08-15-2019, 08:53 AM
A buddy and I just rode up to the UP from Kansas City a couple weeks ago. It included a stop at the Pictured Rocks so I am familiar with the site. A road trip in July meant heading north. It was an 8 day trip with perfect weather. I saw several signs for loops around the different Great Lakes. I also highly recommend a road trip to the UP.