PDA

View Full Version : Craig's List Spyder Scam

Baron14y
08-14-2019, 02:24 PM
Saw this on Craig's List. Figured it was a scam since the price is way too low. I love to play these jokers. Below is the latest email from "Diane". :bdh:

Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Touring - $10000
Inbox
x

Diane Hunter
Attachments
1:57 PM (1 hour ago)
to me

I have attached some pics with the can-am spyder for you. As I told you in my first email, I will leave in a week to Edmonton, where my husband got a new job. Because of the short time that I have left and so many things to deal with concerning our departure I have signed a contract with eBay to take care of the selling on my behalf. The bike is already at the shipping company in Sioux City, IA sealed and ready for the shipping. The total money you have to pay would be $10,000.00.
Due to the fact that this is a large transaction I would like it be handled by eBay`s Escrow Protection Program which allow you to get the bike first, benefit of 5 days inspection time period and then i will get the payment. SO...ONLY AFTER you receive the bike and you inspect it, eBay will release the payment to me, in this way we are both protected. If you are a serious buyer and still interested in this bike please reply with your full name (for the bill of sale), a delivery address and a phone # where you can be reached and I will forward them to eBay and they will send you the invoice with all of the transaction details.
Thanks

On 8/14/2019 10:46 AM, Harvey Kriegsman wrote:
Where are you located? Addtional pictures? I have the money in cash.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 6:36 PM Diane Hunter <diane95@spectrmail.com> wrote:
I'm Diane, glad to see you are interested in my 2016 Can-Am Spyder RT
Limited. This bike has all the bells and whistles. Heated grips,
electric windshield, Garmin gps, and much more. Includes can am luggage
and two can am helmets with bluetooth. It has reverse. semi automatic
thumb shift no clutch that you have to mess with it also down shifts
itself when slowing down. Has abs braking all the way around. Helmet
sizes are Large and Medium. Bike is always garage kept and kept very
clean just like new very very low miles (1223miles!)
The title is clear and has my name printed as owner. Runs and looks great.
The price is $10,000 I know the price is way under market's value, I
have tried to sell it at a higher price but we are in a bit of a rush
since my husband got a new job and signed a contract for 2 years in
Edmonton, Canada. He is already there and I will leave in a week or so.
We don't have the conditions to keep it there and we need the money in
this period of transition so I am trying to sell this as soon as possible.
If you have any questions or need any info or photos please ask.

Thank you

tenpin
08-14-2019, 03:48 PM
I'd love to see the "invoice" from ebay!

Baron14y
08-14-2019, 04:15 PM
I'd love to see the "invoice" from ebay!

I'll take a picture and see if I can get it posted on here. BTW, eBay only does escrow for purchases through them, not Craig's list.

RICZ
08-14-2019, 04:22 PM
"It's all crated and ready to ship!" You, I dealt with "her" too, until that part. Then the rat stunk too much.

Tango
08-14-2019, 07:05 PM
Ask for pics of it wrapped up. And what shipper has it. :lecturef_smilie: Tom :spyder:

SuperG
08-14-2019, 10:50 PM
That scam's been going on for sometime. Ebay says if it's not listed on Ebay, they'll have nothing to do with it. I blacklisted one like that on the Albuquerque CL.

LeftCoast
08-15-2019, 12:28 AM
I’m sure her husband is a Nigerian Prince who will soon inherit some money they will want to share with you as well.

Little Blue
08-15-2019, 02:29 AM
Buyer beware of this Scam. As others have said this happens all to offen.....:thumbup:

Baron14y
08-15-2019, 04:54 PM
Tried to upload the "invoice", but says the file is too large. If anyone knows how to upload this size file, please let me know. She did a very good job on the "invoice".

Baron14y
08-16-2019, 11:12 AM
O.K., the latest. Told her that because the stock market took a dive this week, I couldn't come up with the $10,000.00, only $7400.00. Guess what. She agreed to it. What a surprise.:yes: I wonder how low she will go. I'm going to try $6000.00 next.:yes:

DGoebel
08-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Baron14y, So the too large file is likely aa Adobe PDF, or a scan or a photo from a phone. You can resize most pictures using your photo editor program (different than a photo viewer only program).
Or alternatively you could rescan it or photograph it at a lower resolution and then it would likely be uploadable. If it's a PDF there are a couple of ways to reduce it's file size yet retain the image of the invoice.
But, glad you're tying up another scammer, it would be grand if they could all be caught, charged, and dealt with.

Hentch
08-18-2019, 09:30 PM
I saw a posting on CL in Phoenix. A 2018 for 10,000. Again it sounded too good to be true I emailed her and asked for the Vin number to do a check in it, asked for it’s backstory. Yep you guessed it. No response from her at that point. Scam.

Mr. White
08-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Now a 2017 RT-S is just listed for $10,700. This is on Craigslist and sounds a little low to me.

Baron14y
08-19-2019, 01:45 PM
Just emailed the scammer and told her(?) I had to pay $1400.00 for an operation for my wife. See if she goes down to $6000.00.:b2b:

Baron14y
08-19-2019, 01:47 PM
I saw a posting on CL in Phoenix. A 2018 for 10,000. Again it sounded too good to be true I emailed her and asked for the Vin number to do a check in it, asked for it’s backstory. Yep you guessed it. No response from her at that point. Scam.

Never thought to ask for the VIN. Of course, if I did, it might have scared off the scammer and then I wouldn't have been able to have all this fun.:ohyea:

Bikes111
08-19-2019, 04:51 PM
I was able once to say I was in same city as bike and had cash and would come over as soon as I had an address.
Guess what - no address and no reply!
Go figure.