PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about spare fuel container location

teninospyder
08-14-2019, 11:33 AM
OK, read all I could find in past posts but would like to hear (read) current inputs about a possible location for a 1 gallon heavy duty plastic gas can. :yikes:
If you have a small trailer (OK, like the one I posted pics on recently) and put a 1 gallon container inside it (say, packed in soft foam wrapping), how much "shaking and (internal) splashing" would you expect on most rides and roads?
Not having one before, and not having a "Go-PRO" to film it :roflblack: I'm trying to get a feel for how much shaking do you actually get routinely inside these little trailers that are attached to the swing arm hitch and have no road shock suppression except for their springs.
In most minds is this enough to label the carrying of this container and gas this way DANGEROUS and DON"T DO? :dontknow:
Even in our short time (going on 5 years) with the Spyder, we have been on trips where, without warning anywhere, it was over 100 miles more without any services or gas. :banghead: For most cars/trucks that's obviously not a concern, but YES we were anxious all the way.

JayBros
08-14-2019, 11:57 AM
My only question is WHY? In this day and age and with cell phones, tablet/mini-laptops and some adherence to the 6Ps, unless you're in the wilds of Alaska or Canada the 1330 ACE engine Spyders have the range to avoid getting yourself in a crack fuel-wise. While I don't now and probably won't ever have a trailer, I still don't want gas anywhere but in my Spyder fuel tank.

cueman
08-14-2019, 12:26 PM
If you think about it, we have gallons of gas right between our legs. Enough said. :shocked: cueman

Cruzr Joe
08-14-2019, 12:26 PM
I have carried gas in different containers in the trailer that i pull behind my Spyder, generally without incident, BUT, i did have a sealed container top come off the gas can on my way back from Deadwood South Dakota and did not realize it until i pulled in my driveway and opened the trailer, everything was lightly soaked in gasoline, why did it not ignite??? I will never do that again.

At one point i used a heavy duty container that sat on the trailer tongue, i drilled a very tiny hole in the cap to prevent any fumes from expanding, but not sure i would do that again unless extremely necessary.

Cruzr Joe

bcer960
08-14-2019, 12:52 PM
I believe you have a trailer. I mounted this to the side of the tongue of the trailer. I also ran out of gas in eastern Nevada one year, gas stations, if not entire towns were closed.

Ray

ARtraveler
08-14-2019, 01:04 PM
We drove in AK for almost 20 years. When riding in the outback, fill when you see it at every opportunity in unfamiliar territory. Unless you are driving the haul roads way up North, which I did not recommend, we never ran out of gas on the road. With the 200 mile plus range on the 1330's...I do not consider it a problem.

UtahPete
08-14-2019, 04:09 PM
OK, read all I could find in past posts but would like to hear (read) current inputs about a possible location for a 1 gallon heavy duty plastic gas can. :yikes:
If you have a small trailer (OK, like the one I posted pics on recently) and put a 1 gallon container inside it (say, packed in soft foam wrapping), how much "shaking and (internal) splashing" would you expect on most rides and roads?
Not having one before, and not having a "Go-PRO" to film it :roflblack: I'm trying to get a feel for how much shaking do you actually get routinely inside these little trailers that are attached to the swing arm hitch and have no road shock suppression except for their springs.
In most minds is this enough to label the carrying of this container and gas this way DANGEROUS and DON"T DO? :dontknow:
Even in our short time (going on 5 years) with the Spyder, we have been on trips where, without warning anywhere, it was over 100 miles more without any services or gas. :banghead: For most cars/trucks that's obviously not a concern, but YES we were anxious all the way.

Ray, there's too much bouncing I think in that trailer, which is why I tried softening the ride with the bigger tires. I've always carried the 1 gallon spare can in the left saddlebag

UtahPete
08-14-2019, 04:11 PM
I believe you have a trailer. I mounted this to the side of the tongue of the trailer. I also ran out of gas in eastern Nevada one year, gas stations, if not entire towns were closed.

Ray

I'd feel safe carrying the spare gas can on the trailer tongue, instead of a cooler. Less bouncing plus any leaks or spills are safely outside the trailer.

bcer960
08-14-2019, 04:44 PM
Every time we stop I DO open the air valve just to release the pressure. But I used this last year on a 9000kms trip, worked great. Well, actually, I didn't NEED to use it on the trip, but was very glad it was there..:spyder:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-14-2019, 08:20 PM
I'm frugal ( as opposed to cheap :roflblack: ) … I have no need for that much gas as a back-up …. however I do carry 750ml of gas in a former Tequila bottle :gaah: …. it gives me 12-15 miles to find gas. …. Liquor bottles don't leak, they are designed to hold alcohol without SEAL failure … I have considered up-grading to the 1.75 lit. size …. Burnett's Gin makes a dark green " Oval container ".... I torture tested the Tequila bottle and it never leaked nor even gave of any fumes ….. I only used it once for me ( testing the empty tank thing ) , but I have provided gas for others stranded without gas ….. Mike :ohyea:

SpyderAnn01
08-14-2019, 08:47 PM
I don’t carry gas and I frequently travel roads where it is 150 miles between stations. Rode to AK and didn’t carry gas. I check my route be leaving so I know where I will be able to find gas, sometimes you have to fill up early so you can make it to the next station. A little planning and you will be fine and your stuff won’t stink of gasoline.

fjray
08-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Never miss the chance to pee or get gas....

UtahPete
08-16-2019, 09:57 AM
To carry spare gas or not is a personal choice. Ray chooses to, as do I and many others.

Let's hear from those who do carry spare gas with them, for whatever reason. He is asking for solutions, not skepticism.

fjray
08-16-2019, 10:45 AM
When I have carried spare gas it has been on the top rack of the Bushtec trailer. I wasn't sure if there would be gas at Denio Junction on hwy 140 in Oregon. Didn't need it so I left the can at a station for somebody else.

teninospyder
08-18-2019, 10:10 AM
Finally decided to stop overthinking the problem :banghead: and (using what I could find in my workshop at home) just do what some others had done.:ohyea:
Nothing unusual, but for anyone interested, today I posted in "albums" 5 pics taken yesterday, of my solution for holding a 1 gal gas can on the tongue of our HF trailer.
There is also a 1/4" layer of vibration dampening material (as used by some to dampen vibration and shaking of washers/dryers/etc) between the aluminum plate and the tongue.
Just FYI.

ARtraveler
08-18-2019, 10:12 AM
Thank you for the update. :bowdown:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-18-2019, 12:11 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap:...………… Mike :ohyea:

2dogs
08-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Ah, no. Please don't carry any extra gas. If you were to be rear ended or were to rear end someone else, that container of gas would (could rupture) and splash forward and ignite. Need I say more?

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Ah, no. Please don't carry any extra gas. If you were to be rear ended or were to rear end someone else, that container of gas would (could rupture) and splash forward and ignite. Need I say more?

Question have you added a safety " BLADDER " in your gas tank ????? ……….. if not that can explode in a collision also ….. just a thought …..good luck ….. Mike :ohyea:

Jeriatric
08-18-2019, 12:46 PM
For safety concerns this would cost a lot more initially but if the big 'IF' ever happened the chance of fire would diminish drastically.

https://www.msrgear.com/msr-fuel-bottles

Safety first.

UtahPete
08-18-2019, 02:47 PM

Another risk equation...for those who may want that extra measure of safety, I recommend these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YW4US/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UtahPete
08-18-2019, 02:48 PM
For safety concerns this would cost a lot more initially but if the big 'IF' ever happened the chance of fire would diminish drastically.

Safety first.

I've used those, but they're a bugger to fill at a station pump.

Jeriatric
08-18-2019, 02:53 PM
I've used those, but they're a bugger to fill at a station pump.

Same here. So, I wait until I can use an appropriate container(some stations have loaners) for use at the pump, then use the funnel I cary for topping off oil, to fill the bottles. A bit of a pain but, safety is first on my mind.

2dogs
08-18-2019, 05:11 PM
A nice lady on here a wile back advised to plan or preplan your trip and fuel stops so you don't have to carry extra gas. Good advise.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-18-2019, 05:45 PM
Finally decided to stop overthinking the problem :banghead: and (using what I could find in my workshop at home) just do what some others had done.:ohyea:
Nothing unusual, but for anyone interested, today I posted in "albums" 5 pics taken yesterday, of my solution for holding a 1 gal gas can on the tongue of our HF trailer.
There is also a 1/4" layer of vibration dampening material (as used by some to dampen vibration and shaking of washers/dryers/etc) between the aluminum plate and the tongue.
Just FYI.
Don't trust those bungee cords, especially the round ones. For absolute hold down security I suggest you use solid rope or chain tightened with turnbuckles. As others have said, a safety can made specifically for carrying fuel would be best.

Jeriatric
08-18-2019, 05:54 PM

Hope the OP realizes we're only thinking of him and his passenger and not picking the installation apart. ;)

UtahPete
08-18-2019, 05:55 PM
Don't trust those bungee cords, especially the round ones. For absolute hold down security I suggest you use solid rope or chain tightened with turnbuckles. As others have said, a safety can made specifically for carrying fuel would be best.

Suggestion...get a cheap battery box the right footprint...secure the battery box to the tongue...put gas can inside and strap it down with a battery tie-down strap.

A couple pieces of angle aluminum screwed to the sides of the tongue makes a very strong platform for the battery box.

teninospyder
08-19-2019, 05:10 PM
Sounds good......isn't always possible. (This was a previous post of mine here.)

Don't know how these get sorted in the posting list, as I didn't/don't see it directly under the posting I was responding to, so to clarify.....this was in response to the suggestion about "plan ahead and you don't have to worry about extra fuel".

JoshHefnerX
08-19-2019, 06:52 PM
I don't remember who's machine it was but recently when their back tire let loose it did a ton of damage to the back end of the bike. I can imagine that's a possibility w/ the gas can behind the wheel there. Use your own judgement though.

teninospyder
08-20-2019, 03:32 PM

thanks Idaho, already taken care of..

teninospyder
08-20-2019, 03:44 PM
Suggestion...get a cheap battery box the right footprint...secure the battery box to the tongue...put gas can inside and strap it down with a battery tie-down strap.

A couple pieces of angle aluminum screwed to the sides of the tongue makes a very strong platform for the battery box.

UtahPete, Modified already with a "plastic" box around it, but I am always looking for a better one. Battery boxes I've seen would be significantly oversized for what I need. This is only a 1 gal. container that fits in a 5x7x8hi space. Thinking about a surplus ammo or military box, if size is right.

UtahPete
08-20-2019, 04:04 PM
UtahPete, Modified already with a "plastic" box around it, but I am always looking for a better one. Battery boxes I've seen would be significantly oversized for what I need. This is only a 1 gal. container that fits in a 5x7x8hi space. Thinking about a surplus ammo or military box, if size is right.

They are significantly heavier...

teninospyder
08-20-2019, 06:54 PM
They are significantly heavier...
Battery boxes aren't tall enough from what I see. I need minimum 12"h ix10"L x6"W

UtahPete
08-20-2019, 08:06 PM
Battery boxes aren't tall enough from what I see. I need minimum 12"h ix10"L x6"W

You could make your own out of aluminum. Doesn't need a lid

ChicagoSpyder
08-20-2019, 09:56 PM

This is where we would carry extra fuel on sleds back in the late 90's thru the late 00's, the tank plumbed into the gas tank vent line thus sucking the Tour Buddy fuel first, the company that made them was called Tour Buddy.

I suppose there was risk if you piled into a tree, but then again there was all kinds of risk sledding in no-mans land when the fuel stops were over 100 miles apart.

Bfromla
08-21-2019, 01:41 AM
Couple using the lockable roropax system shared here while back175064175065

bcer960
08-21-2019, 08:37 AM
Couple using the lockable roropax system shared here while back175064175065

This is very similar to mine. It works well.

blacklightning
08-21-2019, 08:39 AM

Safety first.
I have been looking in to one of those for my 2010 yamaha Vmax. That bike only has a 100 mile range. I have had no problems so far, I just fill up any time I come across a gas station once I have about 50 or more miles on a tank. But it would be nice to have that extra 20 oz, just in case.

easysuper
08-22-2019, 08:52 AM
After touring on our Spyders for the last 6 years and logging over 80K, We stopped packing fuel as we never used it for ourselves, only other riders. This year we did a Coast to Coast and back trip that lasted 11,000 miles taking all back roads. I never felt were going to run out of fuel even in the western states, we just make sure we fill up at the first station we see after we get to about 1/2 tank, when we had the 998s I carried fuel but never used it then but did get very low several times. The only issue we had carrying fuel was keeping it from being stolen twice. I never worried about crashing and fire,and I won’t say it would not happen,but almost does in every movie you see on TV:roflblack: The battery box is a very good way for secondary protection and security.175106

Docster
08-22-2019, 01:03 PM
I willl get one of these, made for motorcycle carry
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-fuel-cans-storage-transfer

UtahPete
08-22-2019, 02:14 PM
I willl get one of these, made for motorcycle carry
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-fuel-cans-storage-transfer

They all need a mounting solution though.

2dogs
08-22-2019, 11:26 PM
If you really, really must carry extra gas, I'd go with the bladder from revzilla and place it in a commercial flight data recorder box and mount it to the outside of your trailer somewhere.

teninospyder
09-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Following up on a prior post of mine showing the possible installation of a small bookshelf plastic "crate", on the tongue of our trailer to hold a reserve 1 gal. gas can.
My "original" idea was to mount an army surplus ammo box on the tongue, but didn't have one close by. :banghead:

After completing the original install, I stopped at a few "Surplus" stores out here, and came up with a "perfect size" ammo can. :clap: Attached pics show the results. Recently finished a 700 mile trip with the gas can full and experienced "0" indication of any weeping of gas in the box. :yes::yes::yes:

DGoebel
09-04-2019, 08:54 PM
Excellent idea! What else did you fit inside that can. Looks like a standard 50 cal ammo can with inside dimensions are 11''L x 5 1/2''W x 7''D.
I know they also sell 30 cal and 40mm surplus ammo cans pretty regular, but the standard 50 cal (5.56 ball) is used for many, many extra containers.
Now I think there's also a "Fat Fifty" or SAW surplus ammo can that's longer, wider and taller, inside dimensions are 11.9" x 6.75" x 8.2"
By the way there is a lock kit that can be installed in the ammo can that a common key type padlock can be slipped through.

glennm
09-04-2019, 10:06 PM
Following up on a prior post of mine showing the possible installation of a small bookshelf plastic "crate", on the tongue of our trailer to hold a reserve 1 gal. gas can.
My "original" idea was to mount an army surplus ammo box on the tongue, but didn't have one close by. :banghead:

After completing the original install, I stopped at a few "Surplus" stores out here, and came up with a "perfect size" ammo can. :clap: Attached pics show the results. Recently finished a 700 mile trip with the gas can full and experienced "0" indication of any weeping of gas in the box.

Great work and really looks the part!

Did you need to add any breather holes to clear any odour or vapour?

teninospyder
09-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Great work and really looks the part!

Did you need to add any breather holes to clear any odour or vapour?

Not yet. Even in high temps on our latest trip, when I opened the lid at "stops along the way", I saw NO indication that venting would help clear anything. I intend to keep an eye & nose on it though.

teninospyder
09-05-2019, 09:13 AM
Excellent idea! What else did you fit inside that can. Looks like a standard 50 cal ammo can with inside dimensions are 11''L x 5 1/2''W x 7''D.
I know they also sell 30 cal and 40mm surplus ammo cans pretty regular, but the standard 50 cal (5.56 ball) is used for many, many extra containers.
Now I think there's also a "Fat Fifty" or SAW surplus ammo can that's longer, wider and taller, inside dimensions are 11.9" x 6.75" x 8.2"
By the way there is a lock kit that can be installed in the ammo can that a common key type padlock can be slipped through.

Inside the can I also have a funnel, the original spout parts that came with the gas can (I added a "plain" top cap on the can to reduce overall height in the ammo box) , and some paper shop towels.
The ammo box description can't be read under the black paint, but it measures on the outside, 12" long, 6.5" wide, and 8.375 hi.

2dogs
09-06-2019, 12:08 AM

After completing the original install, I stopped at a few "Surplus" stores out here, and came up with a "perfect size" ammo can. :clap: Attached pics show the results. Recently finished a 700 mile trip with the gas can full and experienced "0" indication of any weeping of gas in the box. :yes::yes::yes:

Much better, that looks fairly crash proof. :thumbup:

Raknid
09-06-2019, 07:22 AM

Safety first.

I use the MSR bottle on occasion. I have the 998 and range is not great. Generally not a concern out east until you get a bit north and in unfamiliar araas. Never had to actually use it...but a bit of insurance/piece of mind.