PDA

View Full Version : Trailer loading a Spyder-what kind of ramp have to built to avoid lwr dmg- Photos?

Praireroads
08-11-2019, 12:39 PM
We hope to head south for the winter as snow birds this winter for the 1st time, & take our bike with us. I have a new 7x14 enclosed trailer with a rear ramp- I found out these bikes are very low ($45.00 plastic shield) to the ground & will hit the opening with the lower front area. I tried to angle the ramp so its a gentle as possible, even using a couple blocks of wood. Selling trailer dealer said some spyder haulers are building a ramp to assist in loading. Any photos available of your design of your ramp?? thanks!

Mazo EMS2
08-11-2019, 03:57 PM
It helps to park the trailer tires in a dip to lower the back of the trailer. It also helps to use the tongue jack to raise the front of the trailer up. You could bolt down two 2x6 boards to the deck, right at the very back edge...this helps keep the front tires up a bit while the back tire approaches the deck. You could lay a couple of boards under the ramp to decrease the angle. Make sure your airbag is full when you load. Make sure your tires are full. You could look for a longer loading ramp too. Lots of things can be done to reduce the angle of the ramp.

george123
08-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Here’s what I did to make it work. But I also have a dovetail trailer, which helped.174809174810174811174812

Praireroads
08-12-2019, 07:00 AM
Very good comments! I used some blocks of wood which helped it from bottoming out. Thanks! other comments are welcome!

Glenngo
08-12-2019, 02:04 PM
I like some of the ideas presented as well. But what I've done for this season was cut some 2x10s to raise the nose before getting on the ramp and another one at the top of the ramp to lift the rear tire before it goes inside the trailer. Inside the trailer I have boards keeping the front of the spyder lifted until the lowest undercarriage brackets pass the ramp break point.