PDA

View Full Version : Pics of HF trailer after painting with VHT SP402

teninospyder
08-07-2019, 05:53 PM

I had a story already in print about how this got from Silver to Gold to BRP Cognac (VHT SP402), but the site decided my commands obviously weren't right for attaching pics and deleted the whole thing before I could send it.:banghead::banghead: So, in short, Thanks to Pete Nixon for selling me this trailer and bringing it with him to Mt. Rainer area from Utah, and Thanks to BLUEKNIGHT911 for helping me with some concerns/procedures about using this paint. My "significant other/soul mate/all time riding partner" is also happy that I considered her request to repaint it from the Gold we originally agreed on :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Life is good :thumbup::ohyea:
PS: sorry there are 2 of one pic here :dontknow:

UtahPete
08-07-2019, 05:58 PM

I had a story already in print about how this got from Silver to Gold to BRP Cognac (VHT SP402), but the site decided my commands obviously weren't right for attaching pics and deleted the whole thing before I could send it.:banghead::banghead: So, in short, Thanks to Pete Nixon for selling me this trailer and bringing it with him to Mt. Rainer area from Utah, and Thanks to BLUEKNIGHT911 for helping me with some concerns/procedures about using this paint. My "significant other/soul mate/all time riding partner" is also happy that I considered her request to repaint it from the Gold we originally agreed on :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Life is good :thumbup::ohyea:

Great job with that! We enjoyed meeting you for the first time in Morton, WA and look forward to a time we can tour the Olympic Peninsula together. You live in a beautiful area.

Peter Aawen
08-07-2019, 06:03 PM
Lookin' Good! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-07-2019, 07:00 PM
Glad I could assist …. it does look great ….. we discussed clear coating the base color …. Did you ???? …. Mike :ohyea:

Deanna777
08-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Nice looking trailer.

Deanna

teninospyder
08-07-2019, 07:24 PM
Not yet. Do I need to wait a few days?

2dogs
08-07-2019, 10:13 PM
I have the same setup you have. I looked into a wrap but it was bucu expensive. More than the origional cost of the trailer. How many cans did it take to do the job? Any pit falls to watch out for? By the way, you don't mind if I copy your process do you?

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-07-2019, 10:20 PM
Not yet. Do I need to wait a few days?

Well you PM'd me that the VHT can advised 7 days …. I think they know their product best …. I think clear coat would make the color deeper and also protect the color coat ….. Mike :ohyea:

teninospyder
08-08-2019, 06:16 AM
OK, 1 week it is. If I can wait that long ��

Joel The Biker
08-08-2019, 08:17 AM
Be sure to test a small inconspicuous area with the clearcoat first. Clear it and wait an hour to make sure there is no clearcoat lift or wrinkling.

teninospyder
08-08-2019, 10:57 AM
I have the same setup you have. I looked into a wrap but it was bucu expensive. More than the origional cost of the trailer. How many cans did it take to do the job? Any pit falls to watch out for? By the way, you don't mind if I copy your process do you?

2dogs....I painted the fenders as a test and put on excessive number of coats, and it took a little over 1/2 can. Yesterday, when I painted the top of the cargo shell, being careful to apply as directed and with minimal overlap of areas, it took 2 cans. That was for 3 coats overall, 10-15 minutes in-between coats as can says. I bought 4 can just in case, but was happy with the coverage as above, so I have 1 on the shelf for any possible touchup or revision. :dontknow::ohyea::clap::yes::roflblack:

2dogs
08-08-2019, 11:13 AM
teninospyder, nice job, very nice.

als
08-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Nice Job !!

Raprider
08-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Looks awesome! Enjoy the ryde!

Deanna777
08-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Well you PM'd me that the VHT can advised 7 days …. I think they know their product best …. I think clear coat would make the color deeper and also protect the color coat ….. Mike :ohyea:

Yes, the clear coat makes the color deeper, and it protects the clear coat.

Deanna

Chupaca
08-09-2019, 10:56 PM
Nice job... :2thumbs: can you get chrome wheels for the trailer...? Would give it that finishing touch...:thumbup:

UtahPete
08-17-2019, 01:35 PM

Thanks to Mike (BlueKnight911) for coming up with this solution. Here it is on Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP402-Engine-Metallic-Copper/dp/B002NUFVRW

VHT SP402 Burnt Copper High Temp (650 degrees Fahrenheit) Engine Metallic has excellent durability and superior heat and chemical resistance. It is specially formulated to withstand corrosion, rust, salt spray, chemicals and additives of today's gasoline blends and degreasers. VHT's Engine Metallics is a unique blend of urethane and ceramic resins, which produce a long-lasting finish for engines, engine accessories or wherever a tough durable heat and chemical resistant finish is needed. Engine Metallics coating creates a cool sparkling metallic finish and withstands intermittent temperatures up to 650 degrees Fahrenheit. VHT SP402 is part of a multi high performance coating system for the ultimate protection and quality. The coating system products consist of surface prep, engine primer, engine metallic, and engine clear. VHT Engine Metallic coating dries to the touch in 30 minutes and completely over night. VHT Metallic coating only attains its unique qualities after correct curing. Curing occurs with normal engine operating temperatures or parts can be heated to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Complete application and curing process instructions are also printed on each can.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-17-2019, 08:47 PM
Thanks to Mike (BlueKnight911) for coming up with this solution. Here it is on Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP402-Engine-Metallic-Copper/dp/B002NUFVRW

VHT SP402 Burnt Copper High Temp (650 degrees Fahrenheit) Engine Metallic has excellent durability and superior heat and chemical resistance. It is specially formulated to withstand corrosion, rust, salt spray, chemicals and additives of today's gasoline blends and degreasers. VHT's Engine Metallics is a unique blend of urethane and ceramic resins, which produce a long-lasting finish for engines, engine accessories or wherever a tough durable heat and chemical resistant finish is needed. Engine Metallics coating creates a cool sparkling metallic finish and withstands intermittent temperatures up to 650 degrees Fahrenheit. VHT SP402 is part of a multi high performance coating system for the ultimate protection and quality. The coating system products consist of surface prep, engine primer, engine metallic, and engine clear. VHT Engine Metallic coating dries to the touch in 30 minutes and completely over night. VHT Metallic coating only attains its unique qualities after correct curing. Curing occurs with normal engine operating temperatures or parts can be heated to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Complete application and curing process instructions are also printed on each can.

Thanks ….. but an important footnote …. this paint is formulated for METAL , so it will eat PLASTIC :gaah: ………. NOT an issue as long as you completely PRIMER paint the plastic ,,, the VHT has NO bad effect on the Primer paint …… Mike :ohyea:

UtahPete
08-17-2019, 09:04 PM
Thanks ….. but an important footnote …. this paint is formulated for METAL , so it will eat PLASTIC :gaah: ………. NOT an issue as long as you completely PRIMER paint the plastic ,,, the VHT has NO bad effect on the Primer paint …… Mike :ohyea:

I was wondering about that very thing. Thanks!