PDA

View Full Version : Spyder stopped while riding

mcguire1511
07-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Anyone had their :spyder: just up and shut down while riding?

igor
07-12-2009, 02:06 AM
yes....in first few meters (few seconds after start) my :spyder2: shut down....This problems stop after changing my GPS and software update.

davepick
07-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Anyone had their :spyder: just up and shut down while riding?

Yes, although it was not a complete shutdown, it went into limp mode doing 65mph on the highway My dealer said it was due to the GPS sensor and that there is going to be a recall to fix it. You just have to pull over and switch off for a couple of minutes to let the sensor fully discharge itself and then you can fire it up again.

Questions
07-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Since late June mine has been doing this and increasing getting worse. I called the dealer for an appointment but they were quite busy so I continued to ride just putting up with the embarrassing headache. I checked all the relays and thought it must be the computer. This sudden shut down happens generally at lower speeds when slowing down. I now think it's a spark plug or electrical issue.?? Not sure if mine is like yours but this seems to be like a sudden flat spot in the lower RMPs. When it shuts me down (about 20 times yesterday) I coast to a stop and 1/2 the time it starts back up and 1/2 the time is makes me wait a few minutes while flashing ABS Fault, EBD Fault, and VSS Fault text scroll across the console as a nice reminder of how frustrating this is. Monday it goes in for a hopeful fix. At higher speeds it doesn't happen and a friend of mine followed me one day on a drive and said the exhaust put out a foul smell as if it wasn't burning the fuel correctly. I'm not an engine guy but hopefully will be back riding without the worry of where I might have to suddenly pull over. Still love the Spyder though! 2009 SM5 Tomcat:chat:

caser
07-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes, it happened to me several times. It seemed to happen evert 200 mi. or so. Dealer replaced the key switch assembly and a module. If that's your problem and they do this repair you will get a new key. Make sure they give you a spare.

brew
07-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Yes it happened to me.... Got a new pair of riding gloves and the Spyder died while I riding it. Come to find out my new gloves hit the kill switch and I didn't realize it right away.
:gaah:

I hope your problem is not any worse than mine was....

bjt
07-13-2009, 08:29 AM
I wonder if Csmead's post about finding a sparkplug shorting out could be the cause of your stalling? If the power isn't going to the sparkplug gap, the fuel won't burn.

Questions
07-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Got mine fixed at the dealer yesterday. Turned out is was a computer problem that operated the module that controls the brakes. Computer sees a problem and it simply stops the engine at low speeds. Not sure if that matches yours but take it to your dealer when in doubt. My dealer did a super job in getting me back on the road.
:2thumbs: