PDA

View Full Version : Manual Fan Switch Works!

WaltH
07-11-2009, 07:39 PM
I was going up Interstate 75, today, just south of Atlanta, when I encountered a huge traffic jam caused by an accident. All lanes were clogged and traffic was stop and go (mostly stop), mostly in first gear (never got beyond second) and the ambient temperature was 90 degrees. This is a Spyder owners nightmare - but not this time.

When I was approaching the mass of cars and saw what was happening, I turned on my new fan override switch. I was at 4 bars at the time. I stayed at 4 bars throughout the whole encounter, which lasted at least 25 minuets. When I was able to resume normal speeds, I turned the switch off. I stayed at 4 bars.

I am very happy with the switch. It did just what I wanted it to do.

vt228
07-11-2009, 08:22 PM
brown wire behind the fuzbox goes to fan put ground switch on in and you are set i did same

rleathen
07-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Glad the fan mod worked for you.

Firefly
07-11-2009, 10:07 PM
brown wire behind the fuzbox goes to fan put ground switch on in and you are set i did same

Huh?

Spyder#353
07-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Switch will be installed in the morning. Thanks for the heads up. Last week my ambient temp was 104* and my fan blue a fuse because it got to hot. I installed a temp gauge. But, this will prevent it from happening again. :2thumbs:

NancysToy
07-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Switch will be installed in the morning. Thanks for the heads up. Last week my ambient temp was 104* and my fan blue a fuse because it got to hot. I installed a temp gauge. But, this will prevent it from happening again. :2thumbs:
Fan should not blow a fuse, no matter what the temperature. Something is wrong. See your dealer while it is still on warranty.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

vt228
07-12-2009, 07:56 PM

it shouldn't blow fuzz you got something rong in there see dealer have him plug it in so you no why it blue . be safe the switch does work find the brown wire with tester groung tester and pook the brown wire while key is on it well turn on then wire switch to that wire ....

GaryTheBadger
07-13-2009, 08:48 AM
it shouldn't blow fuzz you got something rong in there see dealer have him plug it in so you no why it blue . be safe the switch does work find the brown wire with tester groung tester and pook the brown wire while key is on it well turn on then wire switch to that wire ....

Say what? :dontknow:

bone crusher
07-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Why is it necessary to have a manual fan switch? I would think the bike is smart enough to figure out when to go on/off (isn't the temp. for this all programmed?)...

Like any fan, it takes power to run...is this electric or will it suck more gas?

boatcruzin
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
You know that makes me think that may be that is what started the fires on those spyders , was the fan because they said it was on the right side and that is where the fan is . JUST A THOUGHT ?

tatt2r
07-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Say what? :dontknow:

hahhahahah i think he meant fuse :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

WackyDan
07-14-2009, 10:47 AM
You know that makes me think that may be that is what started the fires on those spyders , was the fan because they said it was on the right side and that is where the fan is . JUST A THOUGHT ?

Highly unlikely. The Fan is fused. Any electrical defect or mechanical that would cause it to draw enough to start a fire would blow the fuse well before it even got to that point.

boatcruzin
07-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Yes i know the fuse would but what if the the fan motor was hot and stared some thing on fire that may have been to close to the motor ?

Putt-Putt
07-19-2009, 08:10 AM

Could you be a little more specific on this, please.

Do you just splice into the brn wire to one side of the switch and the other side of switch to a ground to frame what ever.

Or just cut the brn wire and put the switch in between the brn wire. :dontknow:

rleathen
07-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Putt-Putt you use the blue wire at the fan if you are going to supply power to the fan yourself through some fused and switched power line (i.e. auxiliary fuse box). Take a look at the thread below:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12160&highlight=rleathen

Spyder#353
07-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Putt-Putt you use the blue wire at the fan if you are going to supply power to the fan yourself through some fused and switched power line (i.e. auxiliary fuse box). Take a look at the thread below:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12160&highlight=rleathen
Thanks, It works like a charm. I already had the fuse block. But didn't know where to put it. You picked a perfect place. Thanks again:clap::2thumbs: It was so simple, with those pictures:bowdown:

Putt-Putt
07-22-2009, 08:24 AM
I must be a little slow, because i still don't get the whole picture.
1. you tap into the blue wire and run it to a toggle switch.
2. now there has to be a second wire hook up somewhere right?

Because just tapping into the blue wire and putting a switch in line how will that alow the power to turn on & off? Blue wire would have to be hot all the time. So the fan would run all the time untill a switch was put in. But thats not the way it is stock; so what triggers it? I would say a heat sensor would trigger it making the blue wire hot. So how does this bypass the stock system? :dontknow: You always have to have a + & - right? I could not tell in the photo the color of wires at the fuse block. To tell what was hooked to what. And wouldn't an inline fuse work instead of putting in a fuse block?

What am I missing?
:dontknow: Confused :dontknow: