PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Wrap

Tripod
07-10-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm probably going to wrap the exhaust pipes with DEI titanium wrap. I'd like some opinions about whether to use the snap clamps or the stainless ties. Anyone have experience with one or both over a reasonable amount of time?

Thanks for sharing!

Tripod :2thumbs:

docdoru
07-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Is the VW GX3 in your avatar?

Tripod
07-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Is the VW GX3 in your avatar?

Yeah, ain't it cool. I'd like to add it to my collection of three wheelers.

Tripod :joke:

WizardMaster
07-11-2009, 07:01 AM
I'm probably going to wrap the exhaust pipes with DEI titanium wrap. I'd like some opinions about whether to use the snap clamps or the stainless ties. Anyone have experience with one or both over a reasonable amount of time?

Thanks for sharing!

I bought the SS ties that they have and they were junk. I ended up using regulat hose clamps on it to hold everything.

ameobe
07-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Yeah, ain't it cool. I'd like to add it to my collection of three wheelers.

Tripod :joke:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but read this:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/confirmed-volkswagen-gx3-scrapped.html :dontknow:

Firefly
07-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but read this:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/confirmed-volkswagen-gx3-scrapped.html :dontknow:

They have since decided to do a limited run of 200--- to be released next year.

Blinc
07-11-2009, 06:44 PM

Thanks for sharing!

I ended up using the stainless steel locking ties that come with the DEI wrap kits, although removing the pipes totally like I did made those easier to use. I think if you are keeping the pipes on and only wrapping a potion of the pipes, it may be easier to use a clamp type system.

Doing the wifes automatic tonight, her bike gets a lot hotter than my 5 speed does. Hopefully it will help with hers, I did not notice any great decrease in heat coming off of my spyder using the wrap system.

burg650
07-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I wrapped the left pipe today started from under the tank as far as I could get my hands in and to about 4 inches from the head in front of the engine, I used the stainless ties and pull them as tight as I could not too happy with them and will keep a close eye on them. I ran it for about 45 min and watch the wrap smoked so much that I was a bit nervous and kept the water hose close by but all went well. Went for a 50 mile ride that included some stop and go traffic and yes could feel the difference in the amount of heat coming from the left side while stopped well no heat to be exact, very happy with the wrap I now wonder if it make any since to wrap the right side as well as it is so low down and not a long pipe.

swrafey2000
07-11-2009, 08:45 PM
I used stainless steel hose clamps on the two I did.

Firefly
07-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Anyone get their pipes ceramic coated ???

aka1004
07-12-2009, 07:24 PM
A dealer wrapped mine to keep the heat down but another dealer is telling me it's not a good idea because it's keeping pipes from being cooled down by airflow:dontknow:, that it was never designed to be wrapped and actually make spyder run hotter