PDA

View Full Version : Simple Tips

gazey
07-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Its been pretty cold down here in Tassie for the last few weeks so the old finger tips have been getting a bit cold. I have two pairs of gloves, so I decided to put one pair on and the other in the hole in the side of the Spyder where the radiator fan is. Rode the bike for about 15 mins. By this time the fingers are starting to get cold. Pulled over and swapped gloves. :2thumbs: Wow thats better. Makes the ride to work every day much more comfortable.
Anyone else got any simple little tips to make things more comfy :chat:

NancysToy
07-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Great idea. I never would have given it a thought.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

BajaRon
07-10-2009, 10:17 PM
I guess heated gloves would be my tip on this one. They are the only way to fly when it gets cold.

Be sure to get the thermostate accessory. Otherwise, you hands start to sweat and you turn them off then the sweat starts to freeze and you turn them back on. Gets old.

gazey
07-10-2009, 10:38 PM
I guess heated gloves would be my tip on this one. They are the only way to fly when it gets cold.

Thanks Ron,

I have never seen heated gloves :dontknow: Sounds like a good idea.
Anyone got any details or recommendations on them. :popcorn:

BajaRon
07-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks Ron,

I have never seen heated gloves :dontknow: Sounds like a good idea.
Anyone got any details or recommendations on them. :popcorn:

There are a couple of companies that make good heated gear. Gerbing and Olympic are 2 of them. You can get a vest, jacket, pants, socks, even underwear (I think) but I've never gone that far.

My feeling is you don't need the jacket unless you're riding above the artic circle. The vest works just fine.

You can also get heated grips.

chris56
07-11-2009, 02:43 AM
[quote=gazey;118382]Its been pretty cold down here in Tassie for the last few weeks so the old finger tips have been getting a bit cold. I have two pairs of gloves, so I decided to put one pair on and the other in the hole in the side of the Spyder where the radiator fan is. Rode the bike for about 15 mins. By this time the fingers are starting to get cold. Pulled over and swapped gloves. :2thumbs: Wow thats better. Makes the ride to work every day much more comfortable.

this is a really good idea (for a rain-man-spyder..!) will try it out the next tour.. i use always handprotectors .. just to protect for cold air and rain - that really helps - also after some hours of rain..
there are a lot of different versions on the market - if you have a SE5-version = easy to install - by the SM5 (mine) you have to change the steering lock ..but only for the left side..
chris

NancysToy
07-11-2009, 07:37 AM
There are a couple of companies that make good heated gear. Gerbing and Olympic are 2 of them. You can get a vest, jacket, pants, socks, even underwear (I think) but I've never gone that far.

My feeling is you don't need the jacket unless you're riding above the artic circle. The vest works just fine.

You can also get heated grips.
Tourmaster and FirstGear, also. My wife's heated gear is Gerbing. I have a Tourmaster vest.

igor
07-11-2009, 01:58 PM
[quote=gazey;118382]Its been pretty cold down here in Tassie for the last few weeks so the old finger tips have been getting a bit cold. I have two pairs of gloves, so I decided to put one pair on and the other in the hole in the side of the Spyder where the radiator fan is. Rode the bike for about 15 mins. By this time the fingers are starting to get cold. Pulled over and swapped gloves. :2thumbs: Wow thats better. Makes the ride to work every day much more comfortable.

this is a really good idea (for a rain-man-spyder..!) will try it out the next tour.. i use always handprotectors .. just to protect for cold air and rain - that really helps - also after some hours of rain..
there are a lot of different versions on the market - if you have a SE5-version = easy to install - by the SM5 (mine) you have to change the steering lock ..but only for the left side..
chris
Chris, where to buy this handprotectors? Thank you.

bjt
07-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Tourmaster and FirstGear, also. My wife's heated gear is Gerbing. I have a Tourmaster vest.

The reviews I've read on the Tourmaster heated gloves have not been good. :( Too bad as I generally like their stuff. I think the rest of their heated gear was rated good.

NancysToy
07-12-2009, 05:51 AM
The reviews I've read on the Tourmaster heated gloves have not been good. :( Too bad as I generally like their stuff. I think the rest of their heated gear was rated good.
I read the same thing, and avoided them up to now, but I like their gloves in general, and don't like much heat anywhere, so they may be perfect for me. Love their vest, but I have to keep it on low, even in very cold weather.

wtwing15
07-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Hi Gazy
try this site we have been using heated vest and gloves for years, I t gets colder in Canberra that down there.
http://www.gerbing.com/Products/gloves.html
Try them they work very well:2thumbs:

dltang
07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
I think I am going to ask for Gerbing heated gloves with themostat control for Christmas. That is one thing that got cold last year was my fingers and it would be so much nicer with warm hands.

BajaRon
07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
I think I am going to ask for Gerbing heated gloves with themostat control for Christmas. That is one thing that got cold last year was my fingers and it would be so much nicer with warm hands.

Heated gloves are heaven in cold weather. I know there are other approaches to this issue but for me heated gloves are the way to go.

Motza
07-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Try BRP snow mobile gloves, available 3-15-2011 :roflblack:

rleathen
07-13-2009, 06:12 PM
I use the Gerbings heated gloves along with a dual zone heat controller. Best purchase I made. Up here in Canada I am able to ride until it gets just a degree or two above freezing (2 degrees Celcius) with the heated gloves. The Gerbings are so good that I have never had to have the temp controller all the way up finding that when I did the gloves made my hands too hot !

nickcaro
07-13-2009, 08:15 PM
+1 on the Gerbings products.

I use the gloves, jacket liner, pant liner and socks when needed.
I've riden in -6F at highway cruising speeds for over an hour. There is just no way to do that with out heated gear. A good windbreaker jacket and outer pants also go a long way.

gazey
07-14-2009, 04:46 AM
I checked out the Gerbings site and would like a pair of the T5 gloves. Problem is I can't get them here in Oz :(
Gerbings want $158 for freight :yikes:
Guess I'll have to keep on Looking. Any other brands worth a look.

chris56
07-14-2009, 04:52 AM
[quote=chris56;118421]
Chris, where to buy this handprotectors? Thank you.

hi igor - hole to meet you in the next 3 weeks ??(i`m on the way..)
they come from
http://www.wunderlich.de/Online-Shop/
but wait till i`v finished my installation...
chris

BumbleBee
07-14-2009, 05:52 AM
Bought a pair of Firstgear heated gloves for my husband last Christmas. They are great. :2thumbs:

bjt
07-14-2009, 08:10 AM
I checked out the Gerbings site and would like a pair of the T5 gloves. Problem is I can't get them here in Oz :(
Gerbings want $158 for freight :yikes:
Guess I'll have to keep on Looking. Any other brands worth a look.

I'm not sure what it would cost for me to ship the gloves to you but I have sent a few "hard to find 'downunder' " items to folks in Australia. Maybe I can do an informal check on shipping to Tasmania if you're interested.