PDA

View Full Version : Splash Pan Removal

NancysToy
07-10-2009, 08:44 PM
A while ago Lamonster suggested removing the splash pans beneath the rear of the engine to provide greater cooling. Made sense to me, and I recommended it a couple of times, although I had no chance, or reason, to actually try it with our chilly summer thus far. Yesterday it finally hit 80 again and I removed the pans while I was doing some other work. Frankly, it did not help at all, and may have actually made things a tiny bit worse. Ran to 4-5 bars very quickly at 80 degrees, with the fan on about half the time.

I could not believe this, since others had reported 3-4 bar temps with the pans off. Today I reinstalled them at the same air temperature, just to test. I took longer to reach four bars, and I even had to stop and idle a bit to reach five, several miles further than where I had hit five the day before. After that I hit the highway where it maintained four continuously. It did so until I stopped at a couple of traffic lights, when it went to five again and the fan came on. All in all, it was slower to rise and steadier during my riding along the exact same route.

I am thoroughly confused by this. I have seen other vehicles do similar things. A hotrod Model A Ford will run cooler with the hood on, than without it, because the air pressure behind the radiator is higher with the hood off and screws up the air flow. Maybe that is happening here, who knows? Maybe the benefits of removing the splash pans are more pronounced in a hotter climate. Maybe we just have a weird Spyder. :D At any rate, I figured I had better eat my words. This seems to be no cure-all, at least in my case.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Lamonster
07-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Your results may vary. :dontknow:
Try plugging up all the vents and see if it runs cooler. :D

By the way at 92 degrees Ron and I both were running 3 bars. At 96 degrees we were running 4 bars and at 104 degrees we were running mostly 4 bars but sometimes 5 bars but not for long.

NancysToy
07-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Your results may vary. :dontknow:
Try plugging up all the vents and see if it runs cooler. :D
I thought about that, but got lazy...and tired of rolling around on the garage floor. I wonder if your extra items under the Tupperware, or the cool air intake changed anything. Also we have foglights, so our airflow under the panels could be significantly less, and making for a dead air space.

steven888
07-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I removed them and running at 3 to 4 bars most of the time.

Firefly
07-10-2009, 10:15 PM
I removed the left side just to make oil changes easier - and I think I pulled the right one a few days ago. I would like a new skid plate made out of metal for the front as mine is beat to heck.

I have not noticed any heat difference - but I don't pay too much attention as I rarely hit 5 bars. I could see how it could actually help cool things more with it on - since the front scoops direct the cool outside air right into that area - perhaps removing them causes the cool air to escape too soon.

SPYDERPOPS
07-11-2009, 11:53 PM
I never got over 4 bars all the way to Hollywood and back. I have all the pans installed and added a rubber dam to the right side of the radiator. I discovered that all of the air coming into the vents in the plastic bubble was passing by the radiator. Adding the 1/2 inch. neoprene sponge to the outer edge of the radiator keeps the air going through the radiator.

On race cars and production cars it has always been the practice to make all of the air coming in, pass through the radiator, not around it.

Another trick was to empty the radiator of all antifreeze and fill with distilled water and one bottle of Redline water wetter.

I just have a problem with giving the air another route to excape faster and not do any cooling when it goes through the radiator. The air needs to spend a little more time doing it's job and flow at the same time.

Now, the question is, which mod did the most good? Never do two things at the same time if you really want to know what works.

I'm very comfortable with both mods this time.

Wrap your pipes with 1" wide header tape to keep the engine compartment and legs cool. Invest in stainless steel safety wire and pliers to attach the wrap and never worry about it coming loose. Hose clamps will get loose from vibration and your wrap will also creep off of your pipes. Go ahead and remove the pipes and do it right the first time you will be happy you did in the end as your job will be a lot easier and look much better.

NancysToy
07-12-2009, 06:18 AM
I never got over 4 bars all the way to Hollywood and back. I have all the pans installed and added a rubber dam to the right side of the radiator. I discovered that all of the air coming into the vents in the plastic bubble was passing by the radiator. Adding the 1/2 inch. neoprene sponge to the outer edge of the radiator keeps the air going through the radiator.
Good idea! I think I'll try it. I never paid attention, I wrongly assumed that the BRP engineers made it fit without a gap, which is standard practice.