PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake problem

MaMaBear
08-01-2019, 05:19 PM
After a ride today we got home, set the brake, indicator light came on, turned off the key. The brake horn sounded off as if I had not set the parking brake. My husband disconnected the battery and of course the horn shut off. He put it back together and all seemed ok. BUT, not so much. He cycled the brake switch with the bike running, we could hear the brake set and release BUT, the brake light stayed on the entire time. Went for a short ride, the brake light stayed on the entire time during the ride, got home, set the brake and heard it set, turned the key off and the parking brake horn sounded. Had to disconnect the battery again...
Any help would be appreciated, nearest dealer is 85 miles away, in PHOENIX!!!

Chasinsparks
08-01-2019, 05:50 PM
Had this happen when my switch started to go bad. Never have had to disconnect battery after about 45 seconds for me and it would shut off.

SpyderJerry
08-01-2019, 05:55 PM
After a ride today we got home, set the brake, indicator light came on, turned off the key. The brake horn sounded off as if I had not set the parking brake. My husband disconnected the battery and of course the horn shut off. He put it back together and all seemed ok. BUT, not so much. He cycled the brake switch with the bike running, we could hear the brake set and release BUT, the brake light stayed on the entire time. Went for a short ride, the brake light stayed on the entire time during the ride, got home, set the brake and heard it set, turned the key off and the parking brake horn sounded. Had to disconnect the battery again...
Any help would be appreciated, nearest dealer is 85 miles away, in PHOENIX!!!

If you can take the right side plastic off, you will see the micro switch on the parking brake drum. Cycle the parking brake and you will see how the switch operates. See if it is moving enough to deactivate or uplug the wire to see if alarm stops. Might just need new switch or motor is not cycling park brake drum far enough.

Snowbelt Spyder
08-01-2019, 06:14 PM
Seems like the brake and motor are working correctly. Knowing the year of your RT helps, but I think they all work the same. +1 on the micro-switch. Might just need to lube the little arm and plunger. Check that the arm is not bent or that the switch has come loose. You can operate the switch by hand to tell if it is operating correctly.

BTW - if you wait until the shutdown of the bike has timed out, the alarm will stop on it's own.

SpyderAnn01
08-01-2019, 06:23 PM
There have been issues on 18 & 19 RT models, if yours is one then a trip to the dealer is in order.

piperpilot75
08-01-2019, 10:09 PM
My 2014 RT literally did the same thing the other day. I thought cause it was hot outside. It only happened the one time. The more issues I am seeing with spyder, the more I am tempted to get a goldwing instead.

stmike 1800
08-02-2019, 06:01 AM
We used those switches at work ,and they were always giving problems .

SpyderAnn01
08-02-2019, 10:14 AM
My 2014 RT literally did the same thing the other day. I thought cause it was hot outside. It only happened the one time. The more issues I am seeing with spyder, the more I am tempted to get a goldwing instead.

My husband, CPTJAM, rides an 18 Goldwing and it has been in the shop several times for various issues with reverse and hill hold. Maybe he should get a Spyder instead.

MaMaBear
08-03-2019, 07:42 PM
Seems like the brake and motor are working correctly. Knowing the year of your RT helps, but I think they all work the same. +1 on the micro-switch. Might just need to lube the little arm and plunger. Check that the arm is not bent or that the switch has come loose. You can operate the switch by hand to tell if it is operating correctly.

BTW - if you wait until the shutdown of the bike has timed out, the alarm will stop on it's own.

Can't THANK YOU ENOUGH!!! Husband went out to the garage, pulled the panels off, sprayed the switch with degreaser, and low & behold it works fine now!!! Gonna get some oil and a filter kit and change the oil as long as it's apart... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!