PDA

View Full Version : mesh jacket

wyliec
07-10-2009, 06:41 PM
I did a search to see what others wear because my Power-Trip jacket, even without the liner, was very hot today. I found a number of different jackets in my search, but they were all obsolete now.

Those in the warmer climates like Florida, if you wear a jacket what manufacturer do you recommend?

quackerz
07-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket that is great if you are moving but because its a dark color is pretty hot if you are not moving or there is no breeze. I live in Southern California but when I lived in Northern California the summer temps would hit 100 to 115 or so and used it frequently there. Joe Rocket still makes mesh jackets. I hope this helps.

quackerz

Cross01
07-10-2009, 07:06 PM
I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket (black) and a First Gear mesh jacket (gray). I like them both. I highly recommend looking at the website www.newenough.com (http://www.newenough.com). I picked up my First Gear jacket from them last summer. It was the "Mesh Tex" model. They have several mesh jackets and pants available in both men's and women's.

Happy Riding!

CRUCIFIED
07-10-2009, 07:16 PM
There are alot of choices out there. This site has tons of equipment along with some very helpful customer reviews. I havent purchased from them but I use the site as a ref. point. Hope this info helps you out a bit in your search.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com

retread
07-10-2009, 07:28 PM
I've got a Tour Master Intake 2, comes with a rain liner and an insulated liner. The mesh is double layer with armor, and is pretty comfortable, especially when moving. A little heavy, though.

john

DannyS
07-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I have a FieldShear http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/325/ITEM/Fieldsheer-High-Temp-Mesh-Jacket.aspx
very nice the collar is nice because the Velcro is a little lower than most and angled away from your neck makes it more comfortable and a little looser. It also has a zip over wind shell and nice inside and outside pockets. One of the interior pockets is sized to fit a cell phone. It is also more affordable. I also have a Ducati mesh and leather jacket that is out of this world with Kevlar armor and lots of nice embroidery, it is not very affordable! But I had to have it when I owned my Ducati.:yes::spyder:

patches
07-10-2009, 08:10 PM
JoeRocket here and it is by far the best jacket I have during the summer. I rarely need the liner unless it gets really cold in the am but even then I generally ride through it. Love the mesh jacket. But it gets put up in the winter as it does have a liner but nothing cuts the cold wind like a real jacket which I use the can-am spyder jacket.

Lucky
07-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I have both a FirstGear mesh jacket and a Tourmaster Flex jacket. I like the flex for road trips because it goes from very warm (shell on and liner in) to very cool (liner out and shell off) easily. Carrying the shell and liner takes less space than carrying multiple jackets. When I get in to real heat, I use a cooling vest under the mesh and it works pretty well. I am a rather large guy so I don't do well in heat. Went to Mexico from central Wisconsin and it was over 100 each day. Wore the vest with the mesh and kept pretty comfortable. The Flex is becoming my jacket of choice. Like others, I wnt through Newenough.com.

Bob

NancysToy
07-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Both Nancy and I wear FirstGear mesh...but we aren't in a southern climate. Plenty comfortable in the mid-nineties, though, both jacket and overpants.
-Scotty

Latemarch
07-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm currently saving up for a Motoport Ultra II air mesh kevlar jacket.
http://www.motoport.com/_product_35442/Ultra_II_Air_Mesh_Kevlar_Jacket
I plan to order mine minus the upper pockets and in the grey color rather than that odd yellow green color.

Expensive but reputed to be the coolest jacket that you can buy.

After reading about how a Joe Rocket pretty much disintegrated in a get off leaving the rider with significant injuries I figure it's a waste of money if the jacket doesn't really protect.

I don't claim any special knowlege and don't yet have the jacket so.......YMMV

wyliec
07-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm currently saving up for a Motoport Ultra II air mesh kevlar jacket.
http://www.motoport.com/_product_35442/Ultra_II_Air_Mesh_Kevlar_Jacket
I plan to order mine minus the upper pockets and in the grey color rather than that odd yellow green color.

Expensive but reputed to be the coolest jacket that you can buy.

After reading about how a Joe Rocket pretty much disintegrated in a get off leaving the rider with significant injuries I figure it's a waste of money if the jacket doesn't really protect.

I don't claim any special knowlege and don't yet have the jacket so.......YMMV

Since I was leaning toward a Joe Rocket, do you have a link to the story you mentioned.

Thanks

Tripod
07-10-2009, 09:21 PM
I did a search to see what others wear because my Power-Trip jacket, even without the liner, was very hot today. I found a number of different jackets in my search, but they were all obsolete now.

Those in the warmer climates like Florida, if you wear a jacket what manufacturer do you recommend?

I've been wearing a black Joe Rocket mid weight textile jacket for several years. If it's cold, I layer up. If it's hot, I open all the vents and wear a Cool Vest under it. A Cool Vest, you soak in water, wring it out and wear next to you...I wear it over a tee shirt. It'll keep you cool for about 4 - 6 hours, depending on the temps, of course.

Tripod :thumbup:

Latemarch
07-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Since I was leaning toward a Joe Rocket, do you have a link to the story you mentioned.

Thanks

From "K.R." (1/09): "I enjoyed reading your write-up on the 4.0 jacket from Joe Rocket; you have an easy and entertaining to read style.
I know you guys didn't state that you 'tested' the jacket, so I don't feel it's fair to criticize your article from that standpoint. However, I would like to give you some information that I observed first hand (Empirical data, if you will).
About two years ago we (some riding friends and I) took our annual pilgrimage to the Ozarks to enjoy the roads around Eureka Springs. A friend went down at about 40mph and knocked over his best friend (who was doing about 5mph) in the process; both had the Joe Rocket mesh jackets on (2.0 or 3.0...I don't know).
Both jackets were ruined. The 5mph tip-over tore the jacket at the cuff and on one of the elbow pads...you can't sew them back together. No protection needed and that thing got smoked.
The 40mph get off was a 'spiritual awakening' for the rest of us who had been lusting after the mesh jackets during our mid-June heat-wave ride (the rest of us wore leather). The 40mph jacket came apart like rice-paper in a hurricane; protection was needed and that thing offered NONE.
The elbow pads 'bit' in and twisted around the arm to let the mesh fabric instantly tear and that rider had the sort of injuries that a rider would sustain in 'beach attire'. It would take too much space to accurately describe the carnage that jacket sustained...pathetic.
Bottom line is that the Joe Rocket mesh jackets offered NO protection to their pilots...but they sure looked cool. I will NEVER buy one of them.

Now I might think about a Motoport...but I'd like to know how they'd hold up, too.

Good work. Please keep it up."

The story is from WebBikeWorld the first comment after their review of the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4

DocSporseen
07-11-2009, 12:10 AM
I like the Icon Timax 2 myself. It is a little "denser", so it doesn't flow quite as freely as some of the lighter ones. However, I did have the chance to test it's defensive properties, and it worked really well. Between the titanium plates and fibers they have woven into parts of it, it did a great job in keeping my skin off the pavement. Plus, the bright yellow is SERIOUSLY noticeable by other drivers.

wyliec
07-11-2009, 06:45 AM
From "K.R." (1/09): "I enjoyed reading your write-up on the 4.0 jacket from Joe Rocket; you have an easy and entertaining to read style.
I know you guys didn't state that you 'tested' the jacket, so I don't feel it's fair to criticize your article from that standpoint. However, I would like to give you some information that I observed first hand (Empirical data, if you will).
About two years ago we (some riding friends and I) took our annual pilgrimage to the Ozarks to enjoy the roads around Eureka Springs. A friend went down at about 40mph and knocked over his best friend (who was doing about 5mph) in the process; both had the Joe Rocket mesh jackets on (2.0 or 3.0...I don't know).
Both jackets were ruined. The 5mph tip-over tore the jacket at the cuff and on one of the elbow pads...you can't sew them back together. No protection needed and that thing got smoked.
The 40mph get off was a 'spiritual awakening' for the rest of us who had been lusting after the mesh jackets during our mid-June heat-wave ride (the rest of us wore leather). The 40mph jacket came apart like rice-paper in a hurricane; protection was needed and that thing offered NONE.
The elbow pads 'bit' in and twisted around the arm to let the mesh fabric instantly tear and that rider had the sort of injuries that a rider would sustain in 'beach attire'. It would take too much space to accurately describe the carnage that jacket sustained...pathetic.
Bottom line is that the Joe Rocket mesh jackets offered NO protection to their pilots...but they sure looked cool. I will NEVER buy one of them.

Now I might think about a Motoport...but I'd like to know how they'd hold up, too.

Good work. Please keep it up."

The story is from WebBikeWorld the first comment after their review of the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4

Here's a positive review of the JoeRocket Phoenix. I'm not sure if it's 4.0 or earlier. It's kind of tough to make decisions on the various reviews. There could be 100 positive reviews; but, it only takes one negative review to make you wonder.
http://www.epinions.com/review/Joe_Rocket_Joe_Rocket_Phoenix_Jacket/content_410608176772

NancysToy
07-11-2009, 07:16 AM
When I was pressured by my Florida friend to try mesh for the first time, his Joe Rocket bothered me. The mesh was quite large, and I could actually see my skin through the holes. I worried about abrasion right through the material and about the possibility of snagging the open weave in a fall. I purchased the FirstGear with a tighter mesh...just to satisfy my mind. In their defense, the Joe Rocket jackets available now seem to have a tighter weave, although most are still not as tight as my FirstGear. I would not hesitate to buy one.

I think that you can probably find good reports and bad reports on any of these jackets, and even on the solid textiles. Textiles will not ever be as tough or as "skid-resistant" as leather. As blown out of proportion as things get on the Web, though, there seems to be no big uproar over any of these. I think they will all work moderately well under most conditions. A lot depends on the circumstances of the accident.

There are important considerations when selecting any riding wear. First, does it have protective padding? Is that padding in the right places and dense enough to work well enough for your type of riding/exposure? Does the clothing fit well enough or have adequate adjustments to keep the padding in place during a fall? Things like velcro straps to keep the sleeves from flapping are important. Second, what is the material? There are hybrid clothes with part leather and part mesh. Same for solid and mesh textiles. These offer more protection in critical areas, but are not as cool. Cordura clothing is made to be abrasion and tear resistant, and many jackets are made of this material. It is tougher than standard nylon or natural fibers, but it is not indestructable, as much as we would like it to be. Kevlar fibers are among the strongest (at a price), and are heat resistant, which keeps the heat of friction from melting them in a fall. Some clothing is Cordura or something similar, with Kevlar reinforcement.

Any riding gear is better than a t-shirt. Buy what feels good, fits your needs, seems to offer decent protection, and is the best you can afford. Wear it every time you ride. The rest is in God's hands.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Firefly
07-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I've been wearing a black Joe Rocket mid weight textile jacket for several years. If it's cold, I layer up. If it's hot, I open all the vents and wear a Cool Vest under it. A Cool Vest, you soak in water, wring it out and wear next to you...I wear it over a tee shirt. It'll keep you cool for about 4 - 6 hours, depending on the temps, of course.

Tripod :thumbup:

UnderArmour is the way to go --- LOVE the stuff - keeps you cool and dry.

NancysToy
07-11-2009, 06:44 PM
UnderArmour is the way to go --- LOVE the stuff - keeps you cool and dry.
Probably too much information, but it is great riding gear. Prevents Monkey Butt nicely. One drawback...I was wearing it on a vintage ride when I got caught in a huge downpour. Got time only to put on my rain jacket, not the pants. I found out then taht in a rainstorm, wicking underwear works in reverse. Boy, does that stuff soak up water! :yikes:
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

wolfshead1
07-11-2009, 07:32 PM
+1 on Newenough.com Great prices and service.Look in clearance first for mesh.

swrafey2000
07-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Friend got one of the Vanson mesh ones from Neweough.Looks a lot better in person than on there web page.

jrl.spyder
07-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Is anyone wearing the CanAM branded jacket??

Star Cruiser
07-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I've got a Tour Master Intake 2, comes with a rain liner and an insulated liner. The mesh is double layer with armor, and is pretty comfortable, especially when moving. A little heavy, though.

john

I have a tour Master as well. It is the "Draft" mesh jacket. I also have the two liners (sold separately) one for rain and a quilt lining. The mesh is pretty cool (when riding). Mine is grey black and white, matches the Silver Spyder nicely ;)

:2thumbs:

I Like it alot more than the Leather that I was always wearing in the past

Cross01
07-13-2009, 12:27 AM
On the subject of experiences with mesh jackets in crashes:

My partner crashed at about 40 mph) with her First Gear Mesh Tex armored mesh jacket on and it protected her very well. The jacket is torn up and we replaced it, but it did what it was suppose too, gave it's "life" to protect her.
Good jacket, comes with a wind liner as well for those chillier mornings.

Happy Riding!

chris56
07-13-2009, 03:27 AM
Is anyone wearing the CanAM branded jacket??
we got a pair of the brp`s- one .. is ok and looks good on the spyder
my "girl" used the same man-designed one - fits better than the woman version (like to have always the same outfit for driver/passenger..)
chris

Saluda
07-13-2009, 11:53 AM
I like the Icon Timax 2 myself. It is a little "denser", so it doesn't flow quite as freely as some of the lighter ones. However, I did have the chance to test it's defensive properties, and it worked really well. Between the titanium plates and fibers they have woven into parts of it, it did a great job in keeping my skin off the pavement. Plus, the bright yellow is SERIOUSLY noticeable by other drivers.

Appreciate your service, heal quickly and best of luck with the upcoming purchase.

jnt
07-13-2009, 02:55 PM
+1 on the Joe Rocket. The ones we have have also been upgraded, but we are still happy with them. New ones are better (but no longer $89). Most of the manufacturers have a hot weather jacket or 2 - stop at dealers and try on what they have. Then buy what you like.

bone crusher
07-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I have a FieldShear http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/325/ITEM/Fieldsheer-High-Temp-Mesh-Jacket.aspx
very nice the collar is nice because the Velcro is a little lower than most and angled away from your neck makes it more comfortable and a little looser. It also has a zip over wind shell and nice inside and outside pockets. One of the interior pockets is sized to fit a cell phone. It is also more affordable. I also have a Ducati mesh and leather jacket that is out of this world with Kevlar armor and lots of nice embroidery, it is not very affordable! But I had to have it when I owned my Ducati.:yes::spyder:

Fieldsheer...second that...very cool without liner...price is right too...

ataDude
07-13-2009, 03:53 PM
I use a yellow/black FieldSheer on the Spyder and an older silver First Gear Leather Mesh-Tex when on the two-wheelers.

The FieldSheer yellow, BTW, is a close match to the Roadster yellow.

Both are good jackets but have had the good fortune to not test their resistance to the pavement.