PDA

View Full Version : progrip gel touch

wyliec
07-10-2009, 06:35 PM
After having these laying around for well over a month, because some members have said they messed the sleeve up on the throttle side, I decided to try installing them today. I cut the old ones off and put the new ones on. It must have taken all of 15 minutes.

I'm guessing when some members have mentioned screwing up the throttle side, they may have been talking about the splines; I guess if you try to remove the old grip by using a flat blade screwdriver that you can damage the splines. I didn't see anything else to mess up.

ataDude
07-10-2009, 06:55 PM
...I'm guessing when some members have mentioned screwing up the throttle side, they may have been talking about the splines; I guess if you try to remove the old grip by using a flat blade screwdriver that you can damage the splines. I didn't see anything else to mess up.

Actually, some have actually damaged/broken the plastic throttle sleeve by just using a screwdriver.... I did a few bikes back.

On grips I want to retain, I either use an air compressor to "blow" them off -or- gently insert a small screwdriver between the grip/bar/sleeve and squirt some WD-40 in there. Then move the screwdriver carefully, and squirt some more WD-40. Among other things, WD-40 is a solvent which will dissolve the grip glue.

Firefly
07-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I gave up on trying to remove them nicely - just cut them off. I'm not a big fan of grip glue - mine stay on just fine without it. I broke the plastic nub that keeps the throttle assembly lined up on the bar--- when I was twisting and pushing a grip on. Fixed it with a metal screw.