PDA

View Full Version : RT won't start or even turn over

Rebob
07-31-2019, 08:32 PM
Yesterday morning it started just fine. Got off of work and it was dead. Tried to jump it. I got power but when I tried to start it, it just clicked one time and was dead. Today I put a a battery charger on it. Went back a few hours later and no difference. I am leaving the charger on all night and try again tomorrow. I am sure there will be no change. It looks really complicated getting the battery out. Is there anything else I need to look at?

Lew L
07-31-2019, 09:48 PM
Hi Bob,
Always helps if we know year and model------ but battery connections have caused all kinds of problems in just about all years and models of :spyder2:s.

canamjhb
07-31-2019, 09:49 PM
Best guess..... Battery died. They do that and sometimes very suddenly. Good luck..... Jim

Jeriatric
07-31-2019, 10:14 PM
Hi Bob,
Always helps if we know year and model------ but battery connections have caused all kinds of problems in just about all years and models of :spyder2:s.

Best guess..... Battery died. They do that and sometimes very suddenly. Good luck..... Jim

I'm with these guys. Likely culprit is the battery(how old is the current one?), but I'd check both terminals for tightness for peace of mind.

Here's some help on getting to your battery > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCsNYNU6eYo

This is the battery it came with and for the money it can't be beat > Yuasa YTX24HL Factory Activated AGM High Performance Battery

You can shop around but likely won't find it any cheaper and these folks ship free & fast > https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yuasa-ytx24hl-factory-activated-high-performance-agm-battery

Keep us posted.

Oh too. I based this post on info in your bio > 2012 Can Am Spyder RT SE5

4 MARIE
07-31-2019, 10:27 PM
when they go, they're gone. They kind of give a couple hints first, like lights brightening
as revs increase, or doesn't spin over as smoothly as normal. So if it is a battery, fear not,
it will not be traumatic, and a relative cheap and easy fix

SpyderAnn01
07-31-2019, 11:30 PM
The battery on a 13 or newer us very easy to change. The older years are a bit more challenging but look for a YouTube video to help you.

Rebob
08-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Sorry ya'll. It is a 12 RT Limited. I just now got it to start on my lunch break....once. After that it was totally dead, no light, radio, nothing. I don't know how it did it but it did. Guess I'll investigate a little more. Thanks

Little Blue
08-02-2019, 03:38 AM
:coffee: Sounds like a new battery might be the trick. The Yuasa oem is a good choice......:thumbup:

Zip
08-02-2019, 09:20 AM
Sounds like the battery but there is a large fuse on the positive cable you can check

Chupaca
08-02-2019, 11:31 AM
My RS 2012 just had the battery go out. Seems you may have picked up a surface charge but that is it and once you use that it's dead. If you tried to jump it and only got a click connections were not good or source was not good. If it is the original battery it is on the high side of life in a spyder. Regardless of if you can get it charged or working you are best getting on with a new one...:thumbup:

roselauver
08-07-2019, 08:44 PM
Our 2018 RT suddenly wouldn't start after a ride and when turning the key it just had a clicking sound. We found it was a fuse that had went bad. It was the F5 fuse. don't know why it blew but hasn't happened again.