PDA

View Full Version : Adjustment for OEM Driver's backrest

Wahrsuul
07-29-2019, 07:18 AM
I put the OEM driver's backrest in yesterday, and rode into work this morning. Felt like I was being pushed way forward. Is there any adjustment for that thing? If not, it's coming off and getting sold.

Cruzr Joe
07-29-2019, 09:01 AM
Should be a screw under the flap on the bottom of the back rest that allows you to adjust the forward and backward setting.

Cruzr Joe

JayBros
07-29-2019, 11:31 AM
Here's the adjustment screw. It takes a 5 mm Allen wrench to adjust and the thread is coarse so a little tweaking goes a long way.

Lawdog
07-30-2019, 08:32 AM
I feel the same way with mine. I'm still adjusting to see where I want to keep it at.

Wahrsuul
07-30-2019, 09:02 AM
Great, thanks for the help. I'll be trying that out today and see how it goes.

Baron14y
08-03-2019, 01:36 PM
Here's the adjustment screw. It takes a 5 mm Allen wrench to adjust and the thread is coarse so a little tweaking goes a long way.

Just looked. Nothing like that under mine.

Boilermaker
08-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Just looked. Nothing like that under mine.

Then you have the non-adjustable version. There is an accessory kit you can buy to make it adjustable, but it's pretty pricey. Last time I checked it was close to $100.

JayBros
08-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Thanks, Boilermaker! I thought most folks were aware that when BRP introduced a drivers backrest for the RT it was not adjustable and then, I don't know when, introduced an adjustable version at which time or shortly thereafter they introduced a kit to convert a nonadjustable backrest to an adjustable one. Go to this link and prowl around,https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/spyder-accessories/seats-backrests-racks.html.

woods
08-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Take it back and ask for a current model? Got mine 2 wks ago and is adjustable!

canamjhb
08-03-2019, 04:51 PM
I had the exact same problem. Pushed me too far forward. I found out I had the standard backrest bracket and it was not adjustable. The adjustable bracket solves the problem. I believe the cost was $80.00. Readily available and easy to install..... Jim

cyclekid58
08-04-2019, 10:32 AM
I put the adjustable kit on mine and still was not enough so took the adjustment screw out to get what I wanted.

Revalden
08-04-2019, 11:48 PM
Thanks, Boilermaker! I thought most folks were aware that when BRP introduced a drivers backrest for the RT it was not adjustable and then, I don't know when, introduced an adjustable version at which time or shortly thereafter they introduced a kit to convert a nonadjustable backrest to an adjustable one. Go to this link and prowl around,https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/spyder-accessories/seats-backrests-racks.html.

I went to the link, no response to add to cart. ????

JayBros
08-05-2019, 05:06 AM
Worked for me. Call'em at 877-412-7467.

Wahrsuul
08-05-2019, 08:13 AM
That's what I found this weekend, no adjustment in mine. Oh well, it came with the Tryke, so I'm not that attached to it. Guess it goes.

JayBros
08-05-2019, 08:38 AM
That's what I found this weekend, no adjustment in mine. Oh well, it came with the Tryke, so I'm not that attached to it. Guess it goes.

The adjustable kit for the OEM seat is $80 and your not adjustable backrest will then fit on your bike. Don't know if Cheap Cycle Parts can give a better deal, doubt it because it's an accessory and not a regular part. You could try a Utopia backrest for $249 or try the adjustable kit for your backrest and have the option of removing the adjustability bolt if necessary. My wife gave me the adjustable backrest as a birthday present and I am not at all embarrassed to admit that it was my own stubbornness that kept me from getting one. On real long rides it does reduce fatigue for me. Were I in your boots,since I already had the backrest I'd consider $80 a reasonable gamble. At worst case you could gamble and if it doesn't work, try a Utopia and sell off the nonadjustable backrest and the adjustable backrest support.