PDA

View Full Version : Seat recommendation for a 2018 Spyder RT Limited

Robbhop
07-27-2019, 10:57 AM
Looking for any recommendations for a new seat. In terms of comfort and temperature reduction is an Ultimate seat or Corbin worth the cost? Is an Airhawk or a Wild-ass seat a better investment? Don’t want to break the bank, but want a more comfortable ride.

ARtraveler
07-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Seats are a very personal thing. Cushions like AirHawk are worth a try before going to a $1,000 seat.

Ultimates get very good reviews. Corbins have mixed reviews. You either like them or hate them. They are harder and never "break in." Those of us that like them (I have had two of them), call them supportive. Over 55,000 seat miles on two different Spyders that were Corbin equipped.

Good idea to test sit them before taking the plunge.

JayBros
07-27-2019, 11:25 AM
I agree with ARtraveler regarding the Ultimate and Corbin seats. I know a number of Spyder owners who are very satisfied with Ultimate seats and my son who had a couple of Corbins on his two wheelers did not like them at all -- too hard.

IMO, test sitting a seat is like test kissing a woman; you don't know what it's like until you have to live with it.

FWIW, I have a BRP Comfort Seat that I needed for extra leg room and am very satisfied with it.

ricford
07-27-2019, 11:32 AM
I rode almost 700 miles Friday on an Ultimate seat. I was comfortable for the most part. I did get a bit of butt ache but I just 'stood up' using the Seal floorboard up swing, streching my butt off the seat for 10 or 15 seconds and then sat down. All in all, after ryding on the Ultimate for 4 years, "I" would recommend Ultimate. Seven hundred miles in a day would test any seat's comfort. I've made that trip a half dozen times and further (as in Calhoun, LA to Valcourt the long way) and I've always been happy that I spent the money. That's just me.....

SpyderAnn01
07-27-2019, 12:35 PM
What is it about your seat that you don’t like? If it is just heat try a sheepskin, they let the air flow and keep you cooler. Misty Mountain Sheepskins in MO make some great skins for Spyders.

Grandpot
07-27-2019, 12:41 PM
If you can, try to go to a couple of Spyder events and try different seats that you see there. I don't just mean from a vendor, I'm sure if you ask to sit on someone's Spyder that is in the parking area, they will let you. Seats are expensive, so a test fit really needs to be done.

cptjam
07-27-2019, 01:04 PM
Laamseats.com

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2019, 02:25 PM
Like others have suggested, if at all possible … TRY …. before you buy …. my RT seat is fine for ME , but my Butt shape happen to be perfect :clap: :roflblack: …….. Mike :ohyea:

ARtraveler
07-27-2019, 04:26 PM
I agree with ARtraveler regarding the Ultimate and Corbin seats. I know a number of Spyder owners who are very satisfied with Ultimate seats and my son who had a couple of Corbins on his two wheelers did not like them at all -- too hard.

IMO, test sitting a seat is like test kissing a woman; you don't know what it's like until you have to live with it.

FWIW, I have a BRP Comfort Seat that I needed for extra leg room and am very satisfied with it.

Also :agree:x 2 with the BRP Comfort seat. Both my current RT's have them.

Flamewinger
07-28-2019, 06:17 PM
When you decide to get a seat, don't buy online. Go to the factory and have it made to fit your form. Have it made so it's comfortable for you. That's what makes or breaks a seat.

ricford
07-31-2019, 06:37 PM
There is a custom bike seat manufacturer in a small t own North west from San Francisco. I searched and did not find it. Anyone know the name of the shop?

cptjam
07-31-2019, 10:03 PM
Laamseats.com

fireplug98
07-31-2019, 10:47 PM
Ultimate seat !!

Tommy J.

OverHillAndDale
08-02-2019, 10:55 AM
I LOVE the Ultimate Seats tallboy (thought I'm only 5'10") for the extra room and it sits really great for the most part. For long distance I still add on my AirHawk. I had a Corbin once on a difference bike and though it was comfortable but I've heard a lot of issues about quality control (though that was a few years ago).

However, if I ever replace this seat I will look seriously at the Russell Day Long. That's the only seat company I have yet to hear a complaint about.

LeftCoast
08-02-2019, 11:18 AM
Russell Day Long for me and the stock seat was uncomfortable the minute I sat on it. Like others said try to sit on them before you make up your mind.