PDA

View Full Version : over heating

vt228
07-08-2009, 03:29 PM
anyone know why the :spyder:over heats in stop and go trafick my spyder had 6 bars and put me in limp moad didnt here the fan once come on .
why and what do i do to fix this please :helpsmilie: me going nuts all flouids are ok cant figer out what to do. if I have to put a switch on to get fan to run I well ........ SOS...... SOS ........mayday ......:helpsmilie: ( Don )........

zzneonzz
07-08-2009, 03:42 PM
anyone know why the :spyder:over heats in stop and go trafick my spyder had 6 bars and put me in limp moad didnt here the fan once come on .
why and what do i do to fix this please :helpsmilie: me going nuts all flouids are ok cant figer out what to do. if I have to put a switch on to get fan to run I well ........ SOS...... SOS ........mayday ......:helpsmilie: ( Don )........

When i was having this problem i found that my coolant was about 1 pint low (caused the spyder to run up to 1 bar before overheating) added that little bit of fluid and its now back to running at 4 bars while riding 5 bars while sitting at a light in the 95 degree heat we have been having. If the fan didn't cut on that is most likely your problem as mine cuts on at 5 bars if you take it to the dealer they can hook it up to buds and manualy kick the fan on to see if its failing. Also the relay has been known to cause fan issues if it is not secure.

NancysToy
07-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Hard to hear the fan running, you have to feel for the air movement or look inside the vent hole. Hard to see, though, without a white spot or piece of reflective tape on a blade. If the fan is not running, you likely have a loose or bad relay, or blown fuse. The fan is controlled by the ECM, via the coolant temperature sensor, but since your guage reads normally and the Spyder went into limp mode, the sensor should be OK. Swap or replace the relays and check the fuse. BTW, a bad relay or blown fuse should still be a warranty issue, but it is often easier to deal with it yourself. If these simple measures don't cure it, see the dealer. Also, shouldn't have hit limp mode at six bars, I thought it took more. 5-6 is where the fan comes on. If the fan is running, you will want to double check your fluid level first. If that's OK, see your dealer.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif