PDA

View Full Version : I forgot...

ataDude
07-07-2009, 09:56 PM
... how different two-wheelers and the Spyders are.

After not riding a two-wheeler since I bought the Spyder 15 months ago, I spent Monday and Tuesday checking out my Valkyrie and riding it a bit.

Parking lots and lower-speed, around-town driving? The Spyder wins, hands down... no contest. Stand out feature? Reverse gear. :clap:

Normal and faster driving? The Valk wins, hands down... no contest. It's amazing to realize (after the fact) how much real work is required to "man-handle" the Spyder. Moderate to high-speed curves on two wheels are just fluid... bike and body are one.

Minimization of potential injuries (and I have plenty of stainless and titanium parts to vouch for this)? Spyder, hands down. I did earn my nickname, BTW: ata (allergic to asphalt) dude... on a number of occasions.

Don't get me wrong... I still like my Spyder. I'm just amazed at the difference, though... haven't even thought about it for 15 months now. BTW, the Valk is not particularly known as a nimble bike, either.

And, counter-steering, front brake and kickstand posed no problems. :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=427.

burg650
07-08-2009, 01:25 AM
I agree the spyder is a great machine but for a normal ride and to be able to hug those corners at high speed my two wheeler wins hands down.

Mo Lee
07-08-2009, 04:16 AM
... how different two-wheelers and the Spyders are.

After not riding a two-wheeler since I bought the Spyder 15 months ago, I spent Monday and Tuesday checking out my Valkyrie and riding it a bit.

Parking lots and lower-speed, around-town driving? The Spyder wins, hands down... no contest. Stand out feature? Reverse gear. :clap:

Normal and faster driving? The Valk wins, hands down... no contest. It's amazing to realize (after the fact) how much real work is required to "man-handle" the Spyder. Moderate to high-speed curves on two wheels are just fluid... bike and body are one.

Minimization of potential injuries (and I have plenty of stainless and titanium parts to vouch for this)? Spyder, hands down. I did earn my nickname, BTW: ata (allergic to asphalt) dude... on a number of occasions.

Don't get me wrong... I still like my Spyder. I'm just amazed at the difference, though... haven't even thought about it for 15 months now. BTW, the Valk is not particularly known as a nimble bike, either.

And, counter-steering, front brake and kickstand posed no problems. :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=427.

What do you think, in a drag race who would win the Spyder or the Valk? I think my Valks can beat the Spyder but not by much and it would depend on the rider.

Star Cruiser
07-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I have to agree that it is tough to go back and forth between two & three wheelers. Not sure I agree with the power aspect, but definitely a little more "muscle" is needed with the steering. Al lot of it is to remember not to push steer (a tough habit to break). It is now habit not to push steer so I am very reluctant to hop on a two wheeler again and find out "the hard way".

NancysToy
07-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I have to agree that it is tough to go back and forth between two & three wheelers. Not sure I agree with the power aspect, but definitely a little more "muscle" is needed with the steering. Al lot of it is to remember not to push steer (a tough habit to break). It is now habit not to push steer so I am very reluctant to hop on a two wheeler again and find out "the hard way".
I seem to have no trouble going back and forth, which I do regularly. I have yet to have to think about how to steer or avoid an object. Part of that may be that was I never really taught countersteering, I just learned to initiate the turn and lean. Same physics...different brain cells, I guess. Biggest trouble I have switching rides is remembering where the turn signals are, and how they work. For those few of my bikes that have them, they are all very different. Oh, and I have yet to forget to put my foot down on two, or neglect the sidestand. I will admit to grabbing some air with my right hand on the Spyder fairly often, though.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Lamonster
07-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I'll always love two wheels. :doorag::2thumbs:

My next hottie :D

http://www.bigbikeriders.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=469 (http://www.valkyrienorway.com/evo6.html)

ataDude
07-08-2009, 10:10 AM
What do you think, in a drag race who would win the Spyder or the Valk? I think my Valks can beat the Spyder but not by much and it would depend on the rider.

Valk by a wide margin. It's a low 12-second, 145 mph (indicated) top end bike with just one mechanical mod... like a trigger wheel. It's also probably 20-25 pounds lighter than a stock Valk.

The Spyder might hit mid/high 12's with a few mods and a slick on the rear. Top end... we all know what that is. Other than that, it's a mid-13 second bike.

Rear tire hook-up is a severe problem for Spyder timed runs. Mods which create more HP and torque will only make that worse.

ataDude
07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I'll always love two wheels. :doorag::2thumbs:

My next hottie :D

http://www.bigbikeriders.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=469 (http://www.valkyrienorway.com/evo6.html)

I saw that earlier. A lighter weight, 1800cc Valk would be excellent. I'll be on that in a heartbeat, also.

BTW, my Valk is 11 years old and has never been in the shop for anything needing warranty repairs.

It is also the bike that I broke my pelvis on in 2002 and was re-skinned with parts from other bikes (used to be a maroon/ivory bagger) and painted after that. It didn't need it, BTW... it skidded along on the bag and engine guards and damaged a $180 bag top and $75 engine guard). I did all of it myself except for the paint.

Smylinacha
07-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Nice two wheeler you got there!:2thumbs:

ataDude
07-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Nice two wheeler you got there!:2thumbs:

Thank you, Ma'm! The pic doesn't do it justice. The paint is just like glass... a couple of yellow coats... plus the graphics in multiple colors... plus six clear coat layers.

This is closer to real:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=680

DynamoBT
07-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Verrrrrrry Nice...........!

HD2CANAM
07-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I totally agree with the above statement, but when the better half says no more two wheels, then you can't beat the Spyder in my opinion. Also I am having fun with the mod additions again. Waiting for the ISCI hand brake to come out. This is one thing I can't seem to adjust to being without.

ataDude
07-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Verrrrrrry Nice...........!

Thanks, Marilyn!

ataDude
07-08-2009, 05:36 PM
... Waiting for the ISCI hand brake to come out. This is one thing I can't seem to adjust to being without.

It's out... on another thread by Venom1 today!

GeminiJane
07-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I switch between four or five different rides most every week - except Spyder ALWAYS gets to go to Wal-mart when the list is bigger than side bags on two wheelers can handle. I never have a problem switching back and forth - once I make the first 90 degree turn out of the drive way and remember what I'm riding and to pay attention to the bike. I have to remind myself not to throw myself into the turn like on Spydie!
I don't even apologize to myself anymore for reaching for the brake lever on the Spyder. I figure it's safer to reach for it and not find it than to get used to not reaching and do the same on a one of the other bikes. Although my husband can't resist from reminding every time I take a bike out that I MUST put at least one foot down, I never have had a problem with that or with remembering the kickstand. When I make the first stop on one of my taller bikes, though, after riding the Spyder, the ground seems a loooong way down and seems like it takes my toe forever before it touches down! After that it's smooth sailing. I have to admit though ryding the Spyder is more relaxing since there's no worrying about gravel in fast corners. My husband put my GPS back on my Street Triple the other day after a lunch stop where I had locked it in his side bag. Later on the highway, it popped out of it's mount on a hard bump (he forgot to lock the mount) and I saw it in my rear view mirror bouncing down the highway. The two sport bikes ahead of me sped away unaware of me pulling over onto the gravel shoulder to run back and get the GPS before a big truck could run it over. I didn't have the luxury of picking my parking spot - just dropped the kickstand and took off running back down the highway. (Didn't do a U-turn as there was oncoming traffic.) When I got back to my bike and re-mounted the GPS the sport bikers were just coming back to see where I was. Good thing, too. I can only "tippie toe" one toe or the other on that bike on flat ground. With it on the gravel shoulder on a little bit of an incline, I couldn't get my kickstand up:opps:. If I slid off to one side, the other leg was too short to reach the kickstand and if I slid to the kickstand side, couldn't touch with the other leg to hold it up to kick the kickstand. I had just about decided to get totally off the bike, put the stand up and then mount it just by holding the handle bars. Luckily one of the guys came up beside me and I had him kick it up. Part of the challenge of being short legged and not a situation encountered on the Spyder.:clap:

hevnbound
07-09-2009, 05:36 PM

I just don't see Honda releasing a bike like this in the states!! The naked bike market is just not here!

I sure hope they do though!! :pray: That is one georgeous bike!!! :shocked:

I can't find a thing about this bike on the web. How did you find out about it? Hope it doesn't come from the same source that has been promising a liter sized VFR for years!!

Lamonster
07-09-2009, 05:43 PM
I just don't see Honda releasing a bike like this in the states!! The naked bike market is just not here!

I can't find a thing about this bike on the web. How did you find out about it? Hope it doesn't come from the same source that has been promising a liter sized VFR for years!!
http://www.valkyrienorway.com/evo6.html

ataDude
07-09-2009, 07:26 PM
http://www.valkyrienorway.com/evo6.html

Oh, crud. I just saw a chain drive on it! What's up with that? :opps:

Smylinacha
07-09-2009, 08:33 PM
I like the single-side swingarm, gives it a clean look....

Wanna buy me one for Christmas or my bday? :pray: Either that or a Ducati would do nicely:2thumbs:

Smylinacha
07-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Sure, we'll park it next to that Screamin' Eagle Roadglide that you got for me:D

DEAL!:ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

ataDude
07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Wanna buy me one for Christmas or my bday? :pray: Either that or a Ducati would do nicely:2thumbs:

Sure, we'll park it next to that Screamin' Eagle Roadglide that you got for me:D

DEAL!:ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

Sounds like a couple of expensive birthdays coming up! :2thumbs:

ataDude
07-10-2009, 03:41 PM
uh-oh, looks like I did it again.........

No big deal... I figure $55k ought to cover most of it... unless she want the $30k Duc. :clap:

ataDude
07-12-2009, 09:59 AM

I think you'd be surprised at the Valk's following. It's almost a cult thingy even though the last model year was 2003. Canceling the Valk was a mistake in the minds of many... including me.

Mo Lee
07-12-2009, 10:53 AM
I think you'd be surprised at the Valk's following. It's almost a cult thingy even though the last model year was 2003. Canceling the Valk was a mistake in the minds of many... including me.

Amen

Mo Lee
07-12-2009, 10:54 AM

Amen to that