PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with car envy

Rogue Hawk
07-11-2019, 03:39 PM
When I see some Gomer Pyle in a fancy car I feel...jealous. So I think about the money I have saved through the years and ask myself, "If I was a complete idiot that would spend all his savings on a car and not care about the future, what could I get?" So I looked up some possibilities and it made me feel better.

I could squeeze into a low end new 911 :bowdown: But then I would have to live with the thought I could end up living in it down by the river if things go wrong.:yikes:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/911t-0357.jpg?itok=VJsdq9hv

MonPaul
07-11-2019, 03:45 PM
I have thought the same thing, but then I ask myself "how much would I really drive it?"
I have always had more fun on 2 (now 3) wheels, so I wonder how many miles I would really put on. When you pay that much for a car it is kind of hard to justify (even to yourself) when it spends most of the time in the garage.

Bob Denman
07-11-2019, 05:21 PM
It's just a car... :dontknow:
It's not like you've got a crappy motorcycle! :yikes:

Drive what you drive, and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it...

JerryB
07-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: Drive what you drive

Obviously, we all do that. I just would like to be able to afford to Drive What I Want to Drive.

That is a whole nother problem. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Jerry Baumchen

bcer960
07-11-2019, 05:31 PM
I can honestly say I have never had "car envy" Cars, trucks etc. to me, are just tools to get me and my stuff from point A to point B. The bikes and spyder are a totally different thing.

RICZ
07-11-2019, 10:02 PM
Interestingly, after not being fit to ride a two wheeler anymore, I had narrowed my choices to two; a Fiat 124 Spyder or a Can Am F3 Limited Spyder. The desire / passion to still be in the wind won out. Fiat lost.

Ex Winger
07-12-2019, 06:27 AM
Interestingly, after not being fit to ride a two wheeler anymore, I had narrowed my choices to two; a Fiat 124 Spyder or a Can Am F3 Limited Spyder. The desire / passion to still be in the wind won out. Fiat lost.

I bought the Fiat 124 Spider great car and lots of fun to drive.

SpyderConvert
07-12-2019, 06:40 AM
In 1970, I was stationed in Omaha, NE, I needed to buy a car and went to 2 different dealers. I could buy a new Porsche 911 T for $7,700, but being only an E4, I opted for a VW bug for $2,200.

A bit of nonsense: You can live in your car, you can't drive your house.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-12-2019, 06:53 AM
if you can afford it there is nothing wrong with a 2019 911, remember an rt-s is just a little more then a yamaha bolt but we still buy the spyder
anyway. for me, i work sundays during the season at car shows & swap meets to make the extra money for all my toys & vacation. if you can't
afford it just don't do it.

Raknid
07-12-2019, 08:11 AM
I have lust over the new Mustangs - Shelby GT is sweet. One can pickup pre-owned Corvettes for reasonable (? guess it's relative...) change too. My issue is, with the motorcycles, I would hardly ever drive a sports car. Weekends are already such that I do not get to ride as often as I would like. Also, I too am far too practical to shell out the costs for a toy like a Corvette or Mustang. Maybe if I won the Lotto? Really, really big Lotto, then maybe a McLaren? :-)

ARtraveler
07-12-2019, 09:51 AM
I have never had enough disposable income to fullfill my lust for any of the really nice muscle or sports cars. My closest attempt was a used 1964 Chev. SS. Not great either, had an auto tranny and a 283 engine. It was purple with black seats though.

I just have to drool when the "good stuff" drives by. However, I have had some really nice motorcycles since I started driving in the 60's. This has helped me with my quest for owning some of the "good stuff." :yes:

Bob Denman
07-12-2019, 10:49 AM
There's a huge difference between shopping, and buying...

:D But I sure do like to shop! :thumbup:

JerryB
07-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Hi Bob,

Re: There's a huge difference between shopping, and buying...

I think that the saying is: The only difference between men & boys is the price of their toys.

Last X-mas my daughter made me a t-shirt that says: Life is Too Short to Drive Boring Cars

It then lists:

1932 Ford 5-Window Coupe

1957 Chevy 2-Dr Hardtop

1965 Porsche 356C

1986 Toyota MR-2

1997 BMW 840Ci

2002 Lexus SC430

Just some of the cars that I have owned. Yup, I'm a car guy.

I just gotta win the lottery!!!!!

Jerry Baumchen

wyliec
07-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Rogue,

What would you like? A fancy car or emergency water storage and getting ready for the apocalypse?

wyliec
07-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Hi Bob,

Re: There's a huge difference between shopping, and buying...

I think that the saying is: The only difference between men & boys is the price of their toys.

Last X-mas my daughter made me a t-shirt that says: Life is Too Short to Drive Boring Cars

It then lists:

1932 Ford 5-Window Coupe

1957 Chevy 2-Dr Hardtop

1965 Porsche 356C

1986 Toyota MR-2

1997 BMW 840Ci

2002 Lexus SC430

Just some of the cars that I have owned. Yup, I'm a car guy.

I just gotta win the lottery!!!!!

Jerry Baumchen

Jerry,

What's in a name? Someone I knew back in my military days sometimes would ask the young ladies (while in a bar) if they'd like to go for a ride in his vette. There were times when the young lady would come right back in laughing. I guess they thought his chevette was funny.

Bob Denman
07-12-2019, 12:08 PM
Jerry
How'd you like "Mr. Deuce"? :D
Did it remind you of your 356? :bowdown:

bcer960
07-12-2019, 12:50 PM
I guess they thought his chevette was funny.

Yep, I had a '80 Baby Blue Vette as well.......

RICZ
07-12-2019, 12:54 PM
I bought the Fiat 124 Spider great car and lots of fun to drive.
I wish you hadn't told me that. I can only afford one Spyder and besides that, I don't have garage space for two.

Gwolf
07-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Car? Is that like a truck, except you can't haul stuff in it?

Bob Denman
07-12-2019, 01:15 PM
I know lots of Country folks: who haul more stuff in their cars; than the City folks do in the trucks... :D

JerryB
07-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Hi wyliec,

Re: if they'd like to go for a ride in his vette.

My biological father ( who I did not grow up with ) was married 13 times to 11 women. I think it is in all how you ask.

He was a booze, women & Caddie convertibles kind of guy.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryB
07-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: How'd you like "Mr. Deuce"? Did it remind you of your 356?

I bought the '32 in the summer of '57, just before my Senior year in high school.

It had a mostly shot 59A motor; I barely got it home, and spent my Senior year working on it. I learned a LOT about cars with it. I took the motor completely apart, down to every bolt/nut in it. I learned how a motor works.

Then, after I got out of high school, I sold it as I wanted something that ran.

I bought my first 356, a '56 356A coupe in the Fall of '62, while stationed in France. I bought my second 356, the '65 coupe when I graduated from college in '71.

The Deuce Coupe and the '65 356C coupe are totally different cars. Each has a place in my heart, still.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Earlier this year, the current owner of the '65 356C contacted me; he lives up in the Seattle area. In January I went up to see him & it. I should not have done it; it is quite bad shape with poor paint and the rust is winning the battle. Sort of like seeing your high school girlfriend when she is in her '70's.

Bob Denman
07-12-2019, 01:45 PM
:shocked: I'm sorry to hear that she hasn't kept that 356 in the condition that it so richly should deserve... :banghead:
Buy it back, and restore it! :thumbup:

Gwolf
07-12-2019, 02:00 PM
I know lots of Country folks: who haul more stuff in their cars; than the City folks do in the trucks... :D

Yeah, right........

http://www.tanwater.com/pics/hay-2019-04.jpg

Rogue Hawk
07-12-2019, 02:15 PM
There's a huge difference between shopping, and buying...

:D But I sure do like to shop! :thumbup:

When I was younger and as poor as a church mouse, I would go to dealerships and just wander around looking at the cars. I have not done that for a long time. It was mostly in the 80's. So I worshiped cars like the IROC Z and Mustang, the Supra and the Eagle Talon. The Porsche 944 and Mazda RX-7. I also had subscriptions to all the car mags.

wyliec
07-12-2019, 02:28 PM
Hi wyliec,

Re: if they'd like to go for a ride in his vette.

My biological father ( who I did not grow up with ) was married 13 times to 11 women. I think it is in all how you ask.

He was a booze, women & Caddie convertibles kind of guy.

Jerry Baumchen

Wow, some people are a glutton for punishment.

JerryB
07-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Hi wyliec,

Re: Wow, some people are a glutton for punishment.

Back in the 70's I was building a house; I actually built it myself.

My father was a carpenter all of his life.

My brother would go drinking with him. I wanted nothing to do with him when he was drinking.

One day my brother called me up & said that my father wanted to see the house I was building. I told my brother that would be fine as long as my father was sober.

A few days later they came. It just so happened that my widowed mother-in-law was there when they showed up. They were there about a half an hour, then left. Then my mother-in-law said, 'That is a very charming man.'

Jerry Baumchen

LeftCoast
07-12-2019, 03:40 PM
I'd be happy with a high end Tesla at this point.

Bob Denman
07-12-2019, 05:04 PM

I assume that you mean the Roadster... :clap:

LeftCoast
07-12-2019, 05:35 PM
I assume that you mean the Roadster... :clap:

yessir. A Model S to be specific

Rogue Hawk
07-15-2019, 01:30 PM
Rogue,

What would you like? A fancy car or emergency water storage and getting ready for the apocalypse?

Well, it's like the devil on one shoulder, and the angel on the other. I have no safety net in life so I pick the angel. I know, it's boring.

https://sourceofconsciousness.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/angel-devil-homer.jpg

Bob Denman
07-15-2019, 02:18 PM
With a fast enough car: who needs a safety net?
Just outrun the Zombies, and head for warmer weather! :clap:

RICZ
07-15-2019, 07:41 PM
I had a series of four Triumph sport cars; TR2, TR3A, TR4 and a TR4 Sebring Coupe. Then a series of four Alfa Romeos - what a fabulous driver's cars those were,and still are. That's why I have Alfa badges on my F3L.

Spyder Insyder
07-15-2019, 10:33 PM
Working part time (I'm retired) in a car dealership definitely has a downside. You sometimes wind up spending more there than you make. Last year a guy traded a 2014 Mustang GT with 9K original miles and a Suburban with 1600 original miles for a new Tahoe. The wife and I being huge Mustang fans, we just couldn't resist trading her 2007 GT convertible for the 2014. Our justification; a nearly new 2014 for about half the price of a new one.

Bob Denman
07-16-2019, 07:31 AM
:congrats: :nopic:

Gwolf
07-16-2019, 08:19 AM
Here is a pic......... 79 Camero. My son totaled it out about 4 months after he got his driver's license. That was probably 30 years ago and I never got another car after that. I got a truck and a couple motorcycles.

http://www.tanwater.com/pics/79camero.jpg

Cavman
07-16-2019, 11:15 AM
A couple of years ago I purchased a Subaru WRX with a manual 6 speed transmission. Wow! What a blast I’ve had driving it. Since they are so ‘rare’ on the road, we owner’s recognize another one and wave at each other...sort of like seeing another Spyder when we are riding our Spyders.
Yes that hood scoop is functional....the intake air goes right into the intercooler!

stmike 1800
07-16-2019, 02:46 PM
Was out for a bike ride Sunday and there was a Ford Shelby 755 hp all black at the pumps,nice looking truck .Never owned a ford but that truck was an eye catcher.

JerryB
07-16-2019, 04:05 PM
Hi Cavman,

Re: Subaru WRX with a manual 6 speed transmission.

My son-in-law has one of these. I do think that he likes it.

Jerry Baumchen

Arion
07-16-2019, 04:22 PM
Rogue,

After a few moments thought I decided I would rather have the fancy car. Can't figure out why I'd want to survive an apocalypse anyway. Why bother, I've had a very good life and I would rather enjoy the fruits of my long term labors than exist in a post-apocalypse world. Thanks, but no thanks.

Spyder Insyder
07-16-2019, 09:05 PM

2014 Mustang GT

JerryB
07-16-2019, 10:03 PM
Hi Rogue,

Re: Dealing with car envy

Well, if you had not hesitated ( it sold just the other day ), you could have bought this one:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1956-porsche-356-speedster-emory-outlaw-polo-engine/

I mean, what's $500,000; it's just money.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
07-17-2019, 06:54 AM
After a few moments thought I decided I would rather have the fancy car. Can't figure out why I'd want to survive an apocalypse anyway. Why bother, I've had a very good life and I would rather enjoy the fruits of my long term labors than exist in a post-apocalypse world. Thanks, but no thanks.
You just need the right car... :D

Arion
07-17-2019, 08:18 AM
You just need the right car... :D

Ah yes, Mad Max's ride with a switchable supercharger! Still, if I were part of that post apocalyptic group I'd be the guy in the "cartwheel-tumbling, exploding-in-a-ball-of-flames while racing along side a railroad track" vehicle, with a short man in the passenger's seat wearing night vision goggles and a colander on his head.:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
07-17-2019, 09:58 AM
:D :thumbup:

RICZ
07-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Well, if you had not hesitated ( it sold just the other day ), you could have bought this one:
Jerry Baumchen
Hey Jerry...In Hillsboro, sat a very special and customized Jaguar sedan that was ordered and owned by Princess Di's boyfriend, Dodi Al Fiaz - the one she was killed with in that tunnel crash. Long story how it got there. A Canadian friend, who is deeply into Jags, had me get it and hold it at my house until he could come down and take it up there.
Interesting car - all the metal in and out was 24k gold plated. All the upholstery was custom woven, including the trunk liner. There was a small gold bar embedded into a steering wheel spoke. All of that was still there.
Today, I go see and hopefully buy another Jag, just for the gold plated wire wheels that my friend wants for the Dodi Jag.
More later....Ric

Bob Denman
07-17-2019, 11:46 AM
By any chance: do you have any pictures of that "Over The top" Big Cat?

RICZ
07-17-2019, 12:36 PM
By any chance: do you have any pictures of that "Over The top" Big Cat?
I may, but I'm leaving to see the "wheels" Jag. Later.

Bob Denman
07-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Good Luck, and Happy Hunting! :thumbup:

RJS5689
07-17-2019, 02:41 PM
I've been a petrolhead my entire life! I would say I'm content with my current garage, though I do find myself occasionally considering replacing the V with a Cayman GT4 or a Lotus Evora. Being sensible won out and I just added a Ryker to the garage instead, hah! I do often rent Porsches via Turo when traveling, though! You should check to see if any fun offerings are listed in your area. This may be a great way to scratch your Porsche itch.

I rented this Model 3 P3D (with my ATS-V next to it) back in May as a little 30th birthday present to myself. The instantaneous torque of an EV is incredibly thrilling.

Machinegunner
07-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Really enjoying my 1969 notch back Barracuda. HP383 purple stripe street hemi cam. Plum crazy. Not perfect, but a real head turner. Fun to work on again. Just like the 70's.

RICZ
07-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Really enjoying my 1969 notch back Barracuda. HP383 purple stripe street hemi cam. Plum crazy. Not perfect, but a real head turner. Fun to work on again. Just like the 70's.
Gotta love those pre emissions / pre 5mph bumber cars.

RICZ
07-18-2019, 10:01 PM
You asked for it, you got it - the Dodi El Fiaz custom Jaguar by Panther in England. He was Princess Di's boyfriend who died with her in that tunnel crash. Unremarkable except for the 24K gold plating of all the metal pieces in and out and the custom woven upholstery, even in the trunk. There is a gold ingot embedded in a steering wheel spoke. There's a VCR player and color TV for rear seat viewers - big stuff for the mid 80s. In the console between the custom rear captains chairs is a set of decanters and glasses made by Waterford.

Bob Denman
07-19-2019, 07:03 AM
:clap: Now THAT's a Big Cat, that I could learn to like! :thumbup:

PW2013STL
07-19-2019, 11:50 AM
I always liked nice and fast cars, but I could never afford one and a motorcycle until the year 2000. That year I purchased an Audi A4 quattro 1.8 turbo with a 5 speed manual. I had to special order it as I did not want a sun roof. I then added a larger turbo with a stage 2 software update, custom exhaust, lowered performance suspension, larger brakes, and speed shifter. It was very fast and handled fantastic!
It didn't take long for me to realise that I would rather ride my motorcycle on nice days than the Audi. The Audi ended up being our winter car. Just sold it this year since getting the Subaru Outback. The young man who purchased it seems to be enjoying it.

BTW I did own a 1970 1/2 Camaro RS with the split front bumper, had a small block built for it that dyno'ed at 502 hp and 512 foot# at 2800 rpm, but never got it installed after damaging my back. Sold the car (custom paint job) and motor to someone.

I hope to be able to ride my Spyder for a long time and will ignore the lust for fast cars.

Raknid
07-19-2019, 02:12 PM
@RJS, love the ATS-V. Did the Cadillac Experience the past two years. Got to do Gymkhana with both the ATS-V and CTS-V. As well as drag testing. Both were awesome.

A couple years ago I was in the Berkshire mountains on my BMW motorcycle. An older gentleman was fueling his CTS and I walked over to ask how he liked it. I had my helmet on and think he did not understand what I was saying at first or why approaching him - so he looked a bit standoffish. I repeated, 'nice CTS-V - how do you like it?" He got a huge grin and said he had it two weeks and was his second CTS-V. He told a few quick stories - could tell he loved it.

RJS5689
08-27-2019, 09:21 PM
@RJS, love the ATS-V. Did the Cadillac Experience the past two years. Got to do Gymkhana with both the ATS-V and CTS-V. As well as drag testing. Both were awesome.

A couple years ago I was in the Berkshire mountains on my BMW motorcycle. An older gentleman was fueling his CTS and I walked over to ask how he liked it. I had my helmet on and think he did not understand what I was saying at first or why approaching him - so he looked a bit standoffish. I repeated, 'nice CTS-V - how do you like it?" He got a huge grin and said he had it two weeks and was his second CTS-V. He told a few quick stories - could tell he loved it.

They're wonderfully competent track vehicles. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with them! Cadillac is firmly committed to ensuring all V owners get to experience what their vehicles are capable of and know how to handle them, so they give all V owners free admittance to the 2-day performance driving academy at Summit Mountain!

Rogue Hawk
08-27-2019, 10:37 PM
Gotta love those pre emissions / pre 5mph bumber cars.

My 75 Nova had an indestructible bumper. I slid on some ice and hit a guardrail. My bumper won.

Look at this thing. This isn't my car. But it's like it

https://i0.wp.com/dailyrubber.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/75-chevy-nova-1.jpg?fit=575%2C431&ssl=1