PDA

View Full Version : JerryB, I have a question or questions

wyliec
07-11-2019, 10:31 AM
Jerry,

I didn't want to take the thread about Fl and driverless cars to far off topic. So, I wanted to ask you here, what was the original charge the blind driver faced in court, and what, if anything, was he sentenced to?

You can P.M. me, if you'd like.

Thanks

Easy Rider
07-11-2019, 10:55 AM
I know it's Oregon and all but..........
I would like to see a reference in a trusted media source for both of those stories that he is relating.

JerryB
07-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Hi wyliec,

Re: what was the original charge the blind driver faced in court, and what, if anything, was he sentenced to?

It was a very long time ago. I 'think' that he was charged with driving without a license. He was found Not Guilty, no sentence.

A little more to the story: He was an elderly man, his wife had some medical problem & he wanted to get to the store to get some medication. He recruited a ~ 10-yr old neighbor kid to sit next to him & tell where to turn, etc. Well, the 10-yr old was not up to the job & they crashed into another car.

Do you think Easy Rider will believe it now? NOT

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
07-11-2019, 11:41 AM
It's a shame that he had to find himself in that uncomfortable position...
Would any of us have done anything different: if we only had that choice?

BoilerAnimal
07-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

JerryB
07-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: Would any of us have done anything different: if we only had that choice?

And a little more: I was returning from a week-long business trip. When I got into the cab at the airport, I sat up front with the cabbie. This story popped up on the radio. Of course, the radio people merely did the old 'headline grab' thing. So it seemed nuts to us.

As I walked into my house, I told my wife about this stupid court that found a blind man, who was out driving, Not Guilty. And, she says, 'I was on that jury & I voted Not Guilty.' You could have pulled me off of the ceiling when she said that. Then she went on to explain the total story.

Sometimes there is more to the story than just what you see/hear.

Jerry Baumchen

BoilerAnimal
07-11-2019, 03:38 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: Would any of us have done anything different: if we only had that choice?

And a little more: I was returning from a week-long business trip. When I got into the cab at the airport, I sat up front with the cabbie. This story popped up on the radio. Of course, the radio people merely did the old 'headline grab' thing. So it seemed nuts to us.

As I walked into my house, I told my wife about this stupid court that found a blind man, who was out driving, Not Guilty. And, she says, 'I was on that jury & I voted Not Guilty.' You could have pulled me off of the ceiling when she said that. Then she went on to explain the total story.

Sometimes there is more to the story than just what you see/hear.

Jerry Baumchen

That's what Paul Harvey believed!

LeftCoast
07-11-2019, 08:06 PM
That's what Paul Harvey believed!

Good old Paul, he did keep me company on many a commute!

Bob Denman
07-12-2019, 06:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QblkQ-J6zio

Easy Rider
07-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Do you think Easy Rider will believe it now? NOT

You are right about that.

And even if it is 100% correct, the exception just goes to prove the rule.
One single case does not prove what the rules ARE, nor does it necessarily provide sufficient precedent to change anything.