PDA

View Full Version : People asking questions about the Spyder

Frost
07-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Is it possible to be out and about and not have people randomly stop and ask questions about the bikes? I was at the VA today, at a red light, in first gear and waiting to take off and a guy walked up to me...at the red light... and started asking questions. We covered everything we could in the time before the light turned green but that wasn't the only time. I was at Costco putting groceries in the trunk when a lady next to me walked up and just randomly started in on how stable it looked.

Yesterday it was an elderly couple at the gym who were oogling it and asking questions about MPG and braking. Does Can Am have people follow us around to ask questions to film for commercials? I've ridden for about 20 years and have never gotten the attention on a bike this one gets.

CopperSpyder
07-02-2019, 02:54 PM
Welcome home. Yes, its nice to just talk about our passion and people want to listen.

MonPaul
07-02-2019, 03:04 PM
That's great! That was actually one of my attractions to the Spyder. I always like something a little different that not many people have.
Haven't had a lot of questions yet, but I moved to a small town and we only have one stoplight :shocked:

SCreech
07-02-2019, 03:28 PM
This happens with the Spyder a LOT! When I first did my demo ride before buying the bike I asked the factory rep from BRP how long it took to fuel up the rig. He replied usually about twenty minutes! I replied 20 MINUTES, how much fuel does this thing hold? He said, Oh, that's not why it takes that long...it's because you'll spend most of that time answering questions about the Spyder from curious strangers. And he wasn't kidding!

ARtraveler
07-02-2019, 03:53 PM
They call it the rock star factor.

We started out with Spyder the first year (08). Bought the spouse a new (09). We got stopped every where we went in Alaska. They were very rare then...especially in AK.

billybovine
07-02-2019, 03:58 PM
In the area I live in. The novelty has worn off and I do not get near as many questions anymore. But still get a few. Most folks are nice and are just curious. But their opening question can be awkward sometimes. Occasionally you will run into someone that is looking for a reason to not like your Spyder. The ones that really get under my skin are the know it alls that know absolutely nothing. Couple weeks ago someone walked up and started a conversation. He said to me that he was seeing a lot more of these things around. That means that snowmobiles are not selling very well. I was dumb enough to ask why is that. His reply was that they make these things out of leftover snowmobile parts.:yikes:

https://youtu.be/_9qDkwbFHv8

sledracer
07-02-2019, 05:32 PM
If you want more attention strap a wheelchair on the back LOL Im finding this out in just a few rides

Gwolf
07-02-2019, 05:41 PM
I was putting some groceries in the rear bag and somebody that knew who I was walked up and asked me if it was a 250 and why did I buy it when I had a Harley.

Frost
07-02-2019, 06:26 PM
In the area I live in. The novelty has worn off and I do not get near as many questions anymore. But still get a few. Most folks are nice and are just curious. But their opening question can be awkward sometimes. Occasionally you will run into someone that is looking for a reason to not like your Spyder. The ones that really get under my skin are the know it alls that know absolutely nothing. Couple weeks ago someone walked up and started a conversation. He said to me that he was seeing a lot more of these things around. That means that snowmobiles are not selling very well. I was dumb enough to ask why is that. His reply was that they make these things out of leftover snowmobile parts.:yikes:

https://youtu.be/_9qDkwbFHv8

I would nod and wink and say "I know. You should see where they put the afterburner from the leftover jet parts from the old airplanes that are junked every year" and just tap the trunk....

Wow. I mean...I did comment to my C.O. that his looked like a snowmobile on wheels ... then I bought one and have been eating that ever since.

kissfan
07-02-2019, 06:42 PM
People do ask a lot of questions. And I get a lot of nods and waves.

Except from the Harley riders. I think they're too busy holding on from all the vibrations to be able to wave. :ohyea:

Grandpot
07-02-2019, 06:54 PM
When they ask how fast it will go, I tell them the analog speedometer goes up to 200. I don't tell them it is KPH.:ohyea:

Frost
07-02-2019, 07:17 PM
People do ask a lot of questions. And I get a lot of nods and waves.

Except from the Harley riders. I think they're too busy holding on from all the vibrations to be able to wave. :ohyea:

I've noticed the Harley guys tend to have their head down and both hands on the bars. I thought it was fear of their parts falling off the bike because they're so expensive to repair.

BoilerAnimal
07-02-2019, 07:44 PM
When they ask how fast it will go, I tell them the analog speedometer goes up to 200. I don't tell them it is KPH.:ohyea:

I’ve done that several times!😄 The look on their faces is usually priceless!

RICZ
07-02-2019, 10:53 PM
The small price we pay for being unique. :)

pegasus1300
07-02-2019, 11:27 PM
that almost never happens to me. I don't know if its me or just a general lack of curiosity here in Utah.

Chupaca
07-02-2019, 11:39 PM
There are two things you see a lot mentioned here....
1. Miles of smiles.....
2. Your a rock star.....
What your experiencing falls in the Rock Star catagory...:clap:

4 MARIE
07-02-2019, 11:59 PM
you really ARE new to this game aren't you ?
My favorite is the young kid, maybe twenty something coming out of dollar general as I was
strapping on my helmet. He said "Hey mister, is that thing fun?"
I smiled big and shook my head, and said "Uh uh"
Then we both had a good laugh.

askitee
07-03-2019, 12:55 AM
I have no issue with answering questions, its when I come out and some idiot is sitting on the thing.

Have had this twice, I politely asked the gentleman to "hop off". His mate decided to jump on and with it my diplomacy store was empty. It seems one nationality in particular seems to be unable to resist.

Mind you have had some ladies well out of my league ask questions - happy to oblige there of course

Batmobil-F3
07-03-2019, 05:06 AM
My best experience was a three-year-old boy. His mother told me that every time he heard my Spyder he would go to the window and shouted "bike, bike". I put him on my Spyder and his mother took a picture for the grandparents.

kissfan
07-03-2019, 09:05 AM
I have no issue with answering questions, its when I come out and some idiot is sitting on the thing.

Have had this twice, I politely asked the gentleman to "hop off". His mate decided to jump on and with it my diplomacy store was empty. It seems one nationality in particular seems to be unable to resist.

Mind you have had some ladies well out of my league ask questions - happy to oblige there of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ux_DTeuR_o

:clap:

Bob Denman
07-03-2019, 09:21 AM
I always liked this reaction! :roflblack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_Gd623HJo

Frost
07-03-2019, 05:05 PM

I'm pretty sure I'd have a short circuit if I came out and some rando was on my bike. Maybe the military stickers keep them away, maybe people have better sense here in Texas but....

No. Just no.

LongIsland
07-03-2019, 07:18 PM
The answer to your question, "Is it possible to be out and about and not have people randomly stop and ask questions about the bikes?", is YES, if you don't stop.

RICZ
07-03-2019, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty sure I'd have a short circuit if I came out and some rando was on my bike. Maybe the military stickers keep them away, maybe people have better sense here in Texas but....
No. Just no.
That give me an idea: Put an NRA sticker in a prominent location where all can see it and maybe one of those thin blue line American flags. The lefties here will either avoid it........or set it on fire. Come to think of it, that's not so good an idea.

Lew L
07-03-2019, 10:34 PM
Got this from Bob:

On the PULL out tab in the dash ( which I leave out and in plane view---------

" Is there life after death??? Touch this Spyder and find out!!! Done in red on a yellow background.
Lew L

SuperG
07-03-2019, 10:51 PM
That give me an idea: Put an NRA sticker in a prominent location where all can see it and maybe one of those thin blue line American flags. The lefties here will either avoid it........or set it on fire. Come to think of it, that's not so good an idea.

Self projection.:lecturef_smilie:

askitee
07-04-2019, 12:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ux_DTeuR_o

:clap:

Thanks Kissfan, good idea for the next time :)

stmike 1800
07-04-2019, 05:14 AM
I always get the how do you like it ,my reply is it has not fallen over yet .:clap:

Frost
07-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Today a pleasant 82 year old gentleman was just standing outside looking at my bike when I came out with pizzas. He was upset he had to sell his Goldwing because he could no longer get on it due to his age and was VERY interested in the Can Am. We talked for almost 20 minutes before I remembered the pizza sitting on my back seat getting cold.

RICZ
07-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Today a pleasant 82 year old gentleman was just standing outside looking at my bike when I came out with pizzas. He was upset he had to sell his Goldwing because he could no longer get on it due to his age and was VERY interested in the Can Am. We talked for almost 20 minutes before I remembered the pizza sitting on my back seat getting cold.
That is this 82 year old's personal story. I had the best motorcycle I ever owned in 67 years of riding and it had a lot of "me" in it. And yet, I have no regrets because my F3L keeps my in the wind in a way that accommodates my 82 year old body and my youthful mind.

Whizwaz
07-04-2019, 09:33 PM
I know how to limit the number of questions about your Spyder. Ride with Slingshots in your group!

MonPaul
07-05-2019, 11:59 AM

OK I have to ask, you take a pizza home on your back seat? Details please :popcorn:

Frost
07-05-2019, 04:24 PM
OK I have to ask, you take a pizza home on your back seat? Details please :popcorn:

Tilt the back rest on my seat forward, wrap the pizzas with webbing down around the pizzas to the passenger floorboards and ride up closer to where the gas tank should be. When I get the trunk rack, it'll be easier.

Gwolf
07-05-2019, 04:54 PM
I go to the pizza place, eat the pizza, and then ride home with the pizza inside of me. Easy to haul like that.......................