PDA

View Full Version : Misfire rear cylinder

csn29
06-27-2019, 08:34 AM
I have a brand new 600 Ryker, on the very first drive home the limp mode flashed (did not go into limp mode) and then engine light came and stayed on. This comes and goes but usually occurs around 60kmh. The dealer just came out and said they were getting a rear cylinder misfire error code. They said that the bike is fine and that can am is scheduling a patch update for the problem shortly and the bike is okay to drive in the meantime. Does this make sense to anyone ? Help is appreciated

glennm
06-27-2019, 03:33 PM
Odd to say rear when it is a transverse twin so no rear they are side by side across the trike. It should say either left or right.

csn29
06-27-2019, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. Have u heard of anymisfire issue ? Is it okay to drive until update ?

Insane
06-27-2019, 04:18 PM
I’d be real concerned if the tech told you “rear” cylinder.

jcthorne
06-27-2019, 04:43 PM
Odd to say rear when it is a transverse twin so no rear they are side by side across the trike. It should say either left or right.

Nope. Rykers are inline longitudinally. Spyders are transverse mounted across.

jcthorne
06-27-2019, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. Have u heard of anymisfire issue ? Is it okay to drive until update ?

Misfires are caused by injection or ignition problems. Loose spark plug, failing injector, bad wiring etc. A software updated does not cure misfires. Suggest you take it to the dealer for proper diagnosis and repair. Its brand new and should not be running this way.

jcthorne
06-27-2019, 04:46 PM
I’d be real concerned if the tech told you “rear” cylinder.

And why would that be? The 600 only has 2 cylinders, a front and a rear.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-27-2019, 06:05 PM
Misfires are caused by injection or ignition problems. Loose spark plug, failing injector, bad wiring etc. A software updated does not cure misfires. Suggest you take it to the dealer for proper diagnosis and repair. Its brand new and should not be running this way.

:ohyea:.... All previous V-twin Spyders had ( imho ) p*ss poor wire quality..... very delicate and prone to heat damage ….. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ryker was also afflected with the wire issues …. Mike :ohyea:

glennm
06-27-2019, 08:19 PM
Apologies for the misinformation. I stand corrected and learnt something along the way.

BajaRon
06-27-2019, 10:05 PM
The Ryker does indeed use an inline (not transverse) engine configuration. It makes the CVT and shaft drive a simpler setup as well as keeping the Ryker narrower and lower in front.

Red arrows indicate the front of the engine. The exhaust exits out the left side.

Chupaca
06-27-2019, 11:20 PM
We called them parallel twins as opposed to V-twin. Being new the dealer should deal with it but it could be plug wires, plug caps, plugs, coils, injectors :banghead: oh...after two they become inline....

BajaRon
06-28-2019, 08:42 AM
It could be a number of things from the ECM to a bad coil, a coil not attached properly to the spark plug, or fouled spark plug. The dealer should be able to find and correct this quickly.

However, it isn't going to be a spark plug wire issue. Just as the 1330 ACE motor does not have spark plug wires. So also, the 600 and 900 Ryker motors do not have spark plug wires either.

csn29
06-28-2019, 08:55 AM
It could be a number of things from the ECM to a bad coil, a coil not attached properly to the spark plug, or fouled spark plug. The dealer should be able to find and correct this quickly.

However, it isn't going to be a spark plug wire issue. Just as the 1330 ACE motor does not have spark plug wires. So also, the 600 and 900 Ryker motors do not have spark plug wires either.

Thanks everyone for the really useful feedback. So at the end of the day it is unlikely that a "patch update" will solve the issue ? Is it safe to ride in the meantime. Summer is so short here and i dont want to lose any riding time with the ryker in the shop (which is also and hour away)

csn29
06-28-2019, 09:57 AM
Update

This is the email from BRP

__________________________________________________ _____

ECM update scheduled 8 th of july, it is presently being tested.
other information that we can reteive is that the fault occured 5X

Thank You for reporting,
an RPQ was submitted

Update will be published shortly, customer can still ride his vehicule until update is available

Case will be closed.
If you need further assistance, please update this case

BajaRon
06-28-2019, 10:56 AM
I have not heard anything about a 'Patch Update'. Sounds like a software bug fix to me. Begs the question. Does everyone need it? Or just those who have an issue and throw a code. Since the ECM controls everything ignition, this might just be the ticket. Let us know how it goes.

Insane
06-28-2019, 11:26 AM
The Ryker does indeed use an inline (not transverse) engine configuration. It makes the CVT and shaft drive a simpler setup as well as keeping the Ryker narrower and lower in front.

Red arrows indicate the front of the engine. The exhaust exits out the left side.

My bad. Thanks for the info.

BajaRon
06-28-2019, 12:09 PM
We called them parallel twins as opposed to V-twin. Being new the dealer should deal with it but it could be plug wires, plug caps, plugs, coils, injectors :banghead: oh...after two they become inline....

It is a confusing subject. And terminology is supposed to simplify things!

What might otherwise be called a transverse twin (which I have never heard them called) is a parallel twin. Like a Norton 750 or a Triumph 650, etc. It is my understanding that a parallel twin turned 90 degrees is an inline twin to differentiate it from a parallel or V-twin. Though not all V-Twins are front to back as in the Moto Guzzi, (Which I've always wanted to own), and adds another can of worms to the discussion.

Here is what Wikopedia has to say (if you can trust their opinion).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-twin_engine

KC61
06-29-2019, 11:06 AM
Well, a patch is a bug fix in the computer world so there you have it. I would ride it without a second thought. Sounds like some flakey software throwing erroneous codes.

glennm
07-08-2019, 10:32 PM
And here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_engine

It was a term used when I was growing up indicating a multi cylinder engine ran across the frame.

csn29
07-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Here is an update. Patch came out dealer updated it today. Dealer also changed spark plug and both coils. Still an issue. I wasn't more than 5 min on the road leaving the dealer when the light came on. The code is P0301 and changing the coils and spark plug should have resolved the issue. Not sure what we do next but will keep you posted.

KC61
07-22-2019, 02:04 PM
That really sucks, sorry for all your troubles.

Grandpot
07-22-2019, 06:02 PM
If you have a Lemon Law in Canada, keep good records in case you have to act on it.

csn29
07-22-2019, 06:19 PM
Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I can't imagine I am the only one with this issue. Such a shame too as riding season is so short up here

KC61
07-22-2019, 09:27 PM
Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I can't imagine I am the only one with this issue. Such a shame too as riding season is so short up here

I would at least like to see BRP cough up an extended warranty for you. But this is the only instance I have heard of this problem

csn29
08-02-2019, 06:39 AM
So an update..... Ryker went back into the shop, its been there a week, it looks like they are trying to solve the issue by trial and error, this obviously doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the Ryker or BRP as a company. It is clear there is something defective with the Ryker as this issue happened on my first ride home after purchase. If this was a car we would not accept that this is okay. Called BRP they were of little assistance, i requested that they replace the Ryker as they clearly have no idea what is wrong with it. Here is the reply from BRP.

"P-0301 at 5100 RPM is a software issue when coils, plugs, fuel pressure are good. BRP is working actively with bosch to solve this issue, and an update/solution will come in the next few weeks
Customer can still ride his ryker with this code"

This is the same thing they told me last time and the update they issued made the problem worse not better.

Anyways the saga continues and I will keep you updated

Markubis
08-02-2019, 07:16 AM
I'm sorry that you have to deal with this strange issue. It sounds like you can still ride your ryker at least, so just try to ignore the error code and get your summer riding in while you can. That's what I would do.

csn29
08-19-2019, 11:55 AM
another update. Have been told that BRP was working on a solution and they believe the issue was with the clutch. Next week the dealer will be changing the belt and all the main parts and that is supposed to resolve the issue. I will let you know. I am not to hopeful.

ulflyer
06-09-2020, 07:14 AM
This is an old thread, but did you ever get it fixed properly?

ThreeWheels
06-09-2020, 10:04 AM
Software issue ?? Really ?? Wouldn't that affect ALL the Rykers, not just yours ?

csn29
06-09-2020, 10:57 AM
I think there was a batch of them, in any event I ended up trading in the ryker for the 900 and certainly enjoying it a lot more. No issues so far with the 900 and the extra power is a nice addition