PDA

View Full Version : Preppers

Rogue Hawk
06-26-2019, 01:03 PM
Some people laugh at them. But those are the same people who laughed at Noah. there aim is to survive the terminator zombie apocalypses. Personally, if there is such a war, tell me where ground zero is. I'll bring a folding chair and some beer and sit right in the middle of it. I have no interest living in that world. But now there is talk about Iran hacking into our electrical grid and pulling the plug on all of us. This would cause chaos. So I an thinking I should be ready for at least one month without electricity. Also, for my cats. What would I need to do?

Gwolf
06-26-2019, 01:43 PM
The zombies are already here. To survive it just turn off your cell phone.

http://csglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/The-zombie-apocalypse-is-already-here.jpg

Bob Denman
06-26-2019, 02:01 PM

Gwolf
06-26-2019, 02:06 PM
Some people laugh at them. But those are the same people who laughed at Noah. there aim is to survive the terminator zombie apocalypses. Personally, if there is such a war, tell me where ground zero is. I'll bring a folding chair and some beer and sit right in the middle of it. I have no interest living in that world. But now there is talk about Iran hacking into our electrical grid and pulling the plug on all of us. This would cause chaos. So I an thinking I should be ready for at least one month without electricity. Also, for my cats. What would I need to do?

Cats won't starve. Cats get hungry enough they will hunt. Feral cats survive just about as well as domestic cats.

dondje
06-27-2019, 10:44 AM
There are books on the subject. Too much info needed to put down here. As for electricity, I live rural and mine has been out for as long as (3) weeks, and I can expect at least (1) 3-7 day outage every year.

I have (3) generators. From experience, I'll tell you that running them is very expensive - at least for me. The cheapest and most efficient is to have a battery bank and run 12VDC for lighting and anything else you can think of. I can go (3) days without firing up the small Honda generator to charge the batteries. I converted the pellet stove to 12VDC. It can heat most of the house. I have 12VDC LED lighting wired into every room. I also have a propane backup refrigerator and range, along with a wood cook stove. In addition, I have 3k gal of water stored with a 12VDC pump to the house. I can run the well pump off generator to fill the tank as needed.

Regards,

Don

Chupaca
06-27-2019, 11:33 AM
There are books on the subject. Too much info needed to put down here. As for electricity, I live rural and mine has been out for as long as (3) weeks, and I can expect at least (1) 3-7 day outage every year.

I have (3) generators. From experience, I'll tell you that running them is very expensive - at least for me. The cheapest and most efficient is to have a battery bank and run 12VDC for lighting and anything else you can think of. I can go (3) days without firing up the small Honda generator to charge the batteries. I converted the pellet stove to 12VDC. It can heat most of the house. I have 12VDC LED lighting wired into every room. I also have a propane backup refrigerator and range, along with a wood cook stove. In addition, I have 3k gal of water stored with a 12VDC pump to the house. I can run the well pump off generator to fill the tank as needed.

Regards,

Don

Wow !! your good to go...congrats I have a generator and 38 food bearing trees and plants with 220,000 gals of water in the pool just have to disstill it lots of wood and two grills gas and coal/wood/furniture....:roflblack: congrats but seems you need it where you are.....

Gwolf
06-27-2019, 11:36 AM

Regards,

Don

Yeah, I got generator and can run the well pump off the generator too. Have run the refrigerator off the generator for several days after a hurricane. The problem with that is a generator makes a lot of noise when you fire it up, and all the neighbors within ear shot of your place who don't have a generator will be down there lined up to fill their water jugs when they hear it. That is OK out here in the country where there are only a few houses and you know everybody. It might not be OK in town where you could have hundreds of people you don't even know, wanting you to run the generator so they can get water. The noise of the generator could attract the wrong people too. Generators suddenly become worth 3 to 5 times their normal value when the power goes out and nobody knows when it is coming back on. I have been without power for 3 weeks after a hurricane. It is not really a problem. I have LP gas cooking stove and wood fireplace. Have micro-filters to purify drinking water. Have holding tanks that catch water off the roof of the house. Oil lamps for light. Hardly ever even start the generator when the power is off now. I can get along just fine without it.

Lew L
06-27-2019, 11:56 AM
Keep your bores clean and your powder dry.

ironbuttdean
06-27-2019, 12:02 PM
survivalblog.com

dondje
06-27-2019, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I got generator and can run the well pump off the generator too. Have run the refrigerator off the generator for several days after a hurricane. The problem with that is a generator makes a lot of noise when you fire it up, and all the neighbors within ear shot of your place who don't have a generator will be down there lined up to fill their water jugs when they hear it. That is OK out here in the country where there are only a few houses and you know everybody. It might not be OK in town where you could have hundreds of people you don't even know, wanting you to run the generator so they can get water. The noise of the generator could attract the wrong people too. Generators suddenly become worth 3 to 5 times their normal value when the power goes out and nobody knows when it is coming back on. I have been without power for 3 weeks after a hurricane. It is not really a problem. I have LP gas cooking stove and wood fireplace. Have micro-filters to purify drinking water. Have holding tanks that catch water off the roof of the house. Oil lamps for light. Hardly ever even start the generator when the power is off now. I can get along just fine without it.

The big issue with generators for me is the cost and availability of fuel. The larger generators use gals per hour. The little Honda is more like a quart. In a subterranean concrete vault the noise isn't much of an issue. Even less with the very quiet Honda. Only have to run it (1) day out of every (4) to charge batteries. Only have had to fill cistern once off generator. That was mid-winter, while to having to water livestock with no troff heaters.

I went with 12VDC lighting instead of lanterns and candles mainly because of the soot and fumes - sensitive. More convenient though, and in addition some kick on automatically when the power goes out.

The 55" LED TV uses a max of 75w, and the laptops and LED monitors not much more. I can stream movies and TV via cellular and have internet with cellular hotspot, even with the power/fiber lines down on the ground - have my own little cell tower. I have been thinking about putting in some solar and a windmill (have tower for it) and going off grid. Tired of the PUD thinking they have access to my land whenever they want and the constantly rising rates.

Regards,

Don

Gwolf
06-27-2019, 01:42 PM
The big issue with generators for me is the cost and availability of fuel. The larger generators use gals per hour. The little Honda is more like a quart. In a subterranean concrete vault the noise isn't much of an issue. Even less with the very quiet Honda. Only have to run it (1) day out of every (4) to charge batteries. Only have had to fill cistern once off generator. That was mid-winter, while to having to water livestock with no troff heaters.

I went with 12VDC lighting instead of lanterns and candles mainly because of the soot and fumes - sensitive. More convenient though, and in addition some kick on automatically when the power goes out.

The 55" LED TV uses a max of 75w, and the laptops and LED monitors not much more. I can stream movies and TV via cellular and have internet with cellular hotspot, even with the power/fiber lines down on the ground - have my own little cell tower. I have been thinking about putting in some solar and a windmill (have tower for it) and going off grid. Tired of the PUD thinking they have access to my land whenever they want and the constantly rising rates.

Regards,

Don

Anything under the ground in Florida is full of water or soon will be. I have plenty of water. Most of the time the power is out during hurricanes or tropical storms and 10 inches of rain a day is falling from the sky. Also have a stocked pond 100 feet behind the house. Water is not a problem.

Another thing about generators is the gas going bad. Have to put stabilizer in it and even then rotate it out at least once a year. They do have generators that run on LP gas and it does not go bad like gasoline. It is in small tanks and compressed so it takes up less space. Never got around to buying an LP generator. Not so handy to move around when you need power back in the field or some remote location.

LeftCoast
06-27-2019, 02:54 PM

Regards,

Don

Zombies know where all the gas stations are because of Google maps and generator noise brings them like moths to a flame!:D

Bob Denman
06-28-2019, 07:59 AM
Solar arrays, windmills, 6-volt AGM batteries, and power inverters... :thumbup:
That'll take care of power requiurements
Now you're down to providing food for your family...

Question: How do you feel about shooting your neighbors, and raiding their supplies? :yikes:

It might just have to come down to that... nojoke

Gwolf
06-28-2019, 08:08 AM
Solar arrays, windmills, 6-volt AGM batteries, and power inverters... :thumbup:
That'll take care of power requiurements
Now you're down to providing food for your family...

Question: How do you feel about shooting your neighbors, and raiding their supplies? :yikes:

It might just have to come down to that... nojoke

OH, I thought you was gonna say shooting your neighbors, cooking , and eating them............

Bob Denman
06-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Not just yet...
But how close are you to your pets?

Survival in a "World gone wrong" takes a very determined mind-set. One that isn't burdened by civility and restraint.
A good dose of "Situational Opportunism" will also go a long way. :thumbup:

Gwolf
06-28-2019, 10:54 AM
When I went to Jungle Survival in the Philippines I think maybe that Negito Native Instructor there might have had some recipes for his neighbors if they had let him bring them into the course schedule.

Bob Denman
06-28-2019, 11:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIahXVJrvT0

Rogue Hawk
06-28-2019, 02:23 PM
I did think about others trying to steal what I have. A generator will be a beacon that brings them in. A shotgun or a 22? Storing water may be a problem. I will have to research that. I guess I could get some Army MRE's. For my pets, I can get cans of cat food that last a while. There is no way I would let them out of the house. They would end up roasting on an open fire.

Bob Denman
06-28-2019, 05:03 PM
For home defense: go with a 12 gauge pump-action shotgun! nojoke
You can load anything from #12 birdshot in it; all the way up to slugs that'll put a hole in an engine block! :thumbup:

JerryB
06-28-2019, 05:39 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: For home defense: go with a 12 gauge pump-action shotgun!

For a one-on-one situation, I absolutely agree. However, should you have the only food in your neighborhood, it might just be 5+ on you for that food. And they might just be better armed.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
06-29-2019, 09:33 AM
I never said that it'd be the only firearm that I was carrying... :D
For starters:
Old slabsides in a Galco S.O.B. rig, with twin magazine carriers on the belt...
A P-85 high-capacity 9mm (18 rounds), with twin magazine carriers also on the belt...

I also can stow a Seecamp LC-32 in my front pocket...

The sidearms alone, are good for 81 rounds worth of "persuiasion".

Never mind the other pistols, shotguns, rifles, and my Missus with her firepower... :thumbup:

If they want to dance: I've got the music for them! :roflblack: nojoke

ARtraveler
06-29-2019, 09:42 AM
Okay folks...we have now turned to a discussion of what to use to kill people that are trying to steal stuff from us. I don't think that was the original discussion line of the OP.

The end is near... An appropriate pun????

Gwolf
06-29-2019, 12:31 PM
For what it is worth, I have 2 of these. Mine are the older model that do not have the transparent section so you can see when it needs cleaning. Got spare filters and pre-filters for them. They fine for getting by when the hurricanes knock the power out. Often it is storming outside with 100 MPH winds and you not gonna want to go out to the pump and run the generator. I always store at least 10 gallons of water before the hurricane hits, but if it tears down all the power lines, that might not be enough. The filters are mostly for back up plan B.

https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/432-8018273-katadyn-hiker-pro-microfilter

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-29-2019, 09:29 PM
If you really want to survive the next apocalypse buy this place and finish it! https://www.knipeland.com/listing/bear-lake-lodge-and-mine-for-sale-backcountry-mccall-idaho/

Download the brochure here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwirmJqakpDjAhWpj1QKHRTXA3gQFjAFegQIBRAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bizquest.com%2FHandlers%2FUp loadHandler.ashx%3Faction%3Ddownload%26file_id%3D9 51715&usg=AOvVaw1AzXgJt6J5v6staIjZg4Vc

Gwolf
06-29-2019, 10:00 PM
I just want to survive a few more hurricanes.............

zuni
06-30-2019, 06:41 AM
Anything under the ground in Florida is full of water or soon will be. I have plenty of water. Most of the time the power is out during hurricanes or tropical storms and 10 inches of rain a day is falling from the sky. Also have a stocked pond 100 feet behind the house. Water is not a problem.

Another thing about generators is the gas going bad. Have to put stabilizer in it and even then rotate it out at least once a year. They do have generators that run on LP gas and it does not go bad like gasoline. It is in small tanks and compressed so it takes up less space. Never got around to buying an LP generator. Not so handy to move around when you need power back in the field or some remote location.

There are conversion kits for gas generators to make them tri-fuel, gas, propane, or natural gas. I converted mine after hurricane Charley. I was in Tampa but lent the generator to a friend in Punta Gorda where it hit. They were without electricity for a month. He said the generator was great but he spent most of his day searching for gas stations with fuel and then waiting in line. A 250 gal propane tank isn't too expensive and will last a bit and can be connected to a gas grill as well.

CJ JAx

Bob Denman
06-30-2019, 08:15 AM
Yup! propane is also a more stable fuel to store... :thumbup:

JerryB
06-30-2019, 01:55 PM
Hi Idaho,

Re: If you really want to survive the next . . .

Psst, do not tell the Rajneeshees.

Jerry Baumchen

Rogue Hawk
07-01-2019, 03:33 PM
For home defense: go with a 12 gauge pump-action shotgun! nojoke
You can load anything from #12 birdshot in it; all the way up to slugs that'll put a hole in an engine block! :thumbup:

Maybe this guy can help me pick one out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1hLe8rSir0