PDA

View Full Version : Rear tire wear pattern

bcraig
06-25-2019, 06:26 AM
I have the 600 with about 800 miles on it. I notice today that the rear tire is wearing faster on the left side. Is there an alignment adjustment for the rear tire?

cueman
06-25-2019, 09:09 AM
I believe I read that more time is spent turning left than right do to the fact that we drive on the right side of the road in this country. I tried to figure this out in my head but now my head hurts. :( cueman

Mikey
06-25-2019, 09:09 AM
:clap:

Stop taking all the left turns back to the barn!!

Insane
06-25-2019, 09:40 AM
Probably has something to do with that buttugly bag hanging off the right side. ��

Chupaca
06-25-2019, 10:25 AM
I believe I read that more time is spent turning left than right do to the fact that we drive on the right side of the road in this country. I tried to figure this out in my head but now my head hurts. :( cueman

I worked on many a bike for a police department and one of the issues they were claiming to Honda, they rode goldwings, was just this. The wear on the tires was more to the inside. After much study and threats of suits they concluded that those complaining were all cops that rode mostly the freeways and would get on and off in a big oval. Get on and persue then return to the start and do it all again. :dontknow:Many stories about Honda and this police department....:yikes:

SpyderJerry
06-25-2019, 10:29 AM
Probably has something to do with that buttugly bag hanging off the right side. ��

Not saying that there might be another issue, but. That is closer to reality than you think. If that bag is loaded heavy, it will take weight off the left side of the tire. The tread will scrub on the opposite side of the lean of the bike. Same thing happens with a truck with dual wheels if the tires are not matched diameter, the smaller tire will scrub off the tread faster. So keep your load as equal on both sides.

oregoncoast
06-25-2019, 01:04 PM
I have over 6,500 miles on my 900, I just took a look to double check but there is very little wear and it is very even. I keep my rear at 28 or 30 psi and 22 psi in the front. I would defiantly figure out the issue before I put a new tire on. I travel at highway speeds on curvy roads most of time. I would think I have more wear than I do. Maybe I'm just lucky. Also temperature is very cool here, 60 is a high most days.I wonder if the tire itself is at fault. P.S I used to live in Port Clint in the Buckeye state many years ago.

KC61
06-25-2019, 01:05 PM
Crown in the road will cause this

KID Ryker
06-25-2019, 01:43 PM
I have over 6,500 miles on my 900, I just took a look to double check but there is very little wear and it is very even. I keep my rear at 28 or 30 psi and 22 psi in the front. I would defiantly figure out the issue before I put a new tire on. I travel at highway speeds on curvy roads most of time. I would think I have more wear than I do. Maybe I'm just lucky. Also temperature is very cool here, 60 is a high most days.I wonder if the tire itself is at fault. P.S I used to live in Port Clint in the Buckeye state many years ago. Keep going :congrats: glad to see a high mileage Ryker out there. My rear tire (top) leans to the left. Will be in for the 3000 mile check up to ask why. Has always been that way.

canamjhb
06-25-2019, 02:54 PM
To me, the wear on the left side appears to be excessive, especially for only 800 miles. I don't think any of the previously mentioned causes would create THAT much wear in only 800 miles. Time to have your dealer check it out..... Jim

KID Ryker
06-25-2019, 03:24 PM
:agree: I think you are right there is something out of aliment on the rear wheel. Will get back after 3000 mile check up next week.

bcraig
06-25-2019, 03:36 PM

I believe this is the cause. I tend to ride close to the right side, which would cause the left side of the rear tire to ride the right side of the crown. I guess I need to ride closer to the center line now and then to equal it out.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-25-2019, 05:45 PM
I believe this is the cause. I tend to ride close to the right side, which would cause the left side of the rear tire to ride the right side of the crown. I guess I need to ride closer to the center line now and then to equal it out.

If this " theory " is true …….then all spyders would suffer the same wear ….. and that is just not the case …… I think there is something wrong with the rear alignment …… Mike :ohyea:

Cobwebs
06-25-2019, 05:53 PM
It must be a dog to steer if it's that far out! I'd start at the front alignment.

bcraig
06-25-2019, 06:25 PM
If this " theory " is true …….then all spyders would suffer the same wear ….. and that is just not the case …… I think there is something wrong with the rear alignment …… Mike :ohyea:

I asked the service dept about rear alignment today and was told there is no rear alignment adjustment on the Ryker like there is on the spiders.

bcraig
06-25-2019, 06:26 PM
It must be a dog to steer if it's that far out! I'd start at the front alignment.

Not really. It's very stable and corners well.

Mikey
06-25-2019, 06:38 PM

:agree: That's right!!!

bcraig
06-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Not saying that there might be another issue, but. That is closer to reality than you think. If that bag is loaded heavy, it will take weight off the left side of the tire. The tread will scrub on the opposite side of the lean of the bike. Same thing happens with a truck with dual wheels if the tires are not matched diameter, the smaller tire will scrub off the tread faster. So keep your load as equal on both sides.

I seldom have anything in the side case. I use it for helmet storage when I park it.

Wouldn't more weight of the right side cause more wear on the right side of the tire? I'm not an engineer so I'm probably missing the logic. lol

trikermutha
06-25-2019, 07:13 PM
A bit off topic but notice this on my Vee rubber rear tire. It appeared one side was higher than the other and felt the higher side would wear faster than the other.

It did appear that the tire was not made uniformly.

Not sure if its the same as what you are seeing.

Cobwebs
06-25-2019, 08:21 PM
I have the 600 with about 800 miles on it. I notice today that the rear tire is wearing faster on the left side. Is there an alignment adjustment for the rear tire?

Not really. It's very stable and corners well.

If it were adjustable at the rear you would then screw up the front alignment.
Without checking the front alignment your only guessing its handling properly.
800 miles for that amount of wear suggests a ridiculously out of shape tyre or alignment issues.

stiernan
06-25-2019, 08:40 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Trevor G
07-26-2019, 01:22 PM
I believe I read that more time is spent turning left than right do to the fact that we drive on the right side of the road in this country. ( cueman

If that was the case the wear would be on the right side edge, not the left.

Remember, when the bike turns to the right, just like a four wheel vehicle it leans out to the left. Hence, the wear on the left edge (which I can't see in the picture, anyway).

Trevor G
07-26-2019, 01:45 PM
I seldom have anything in the side case. I use it for helmet storage when I park it.

Wouldn't more weight of the right side cause more wear on the right side of the tire? I'm not an engineer so I'm probably missing the logic. lol

The increased or uneven wear wold be insignificant, even if you could suspend a passenger on one side of the rear of the bike, since the weight is transferred to the centre point between the two front wheels. The rear wheel "pivots" to the left or the right around this centre point.

In other words, if you had the bike loaded so unevenly that it affected wear on the back tyre the front suspension would also have to be compressed more on one side. This lean would be obvious, looking from either the front or the back.

One possible explanation is that you are accelerating more around right hand corners, which will lean the bike out to the left and wear the outside left edge.

Another possibility is that there is something rubbing on the tyre on the left side. A close-up of the tyre and its tread would be good.